Author Topic: Genioplasty when you have an overbite  (Read 6581 times)

DC77

Genioplasty when you have an overbite
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
My surgeon has said that I could have an advancement genioplasty where he would rotate the chin aswell as move it forwards to give me more length to the lower part of my face.

I have a Class 2 skeletal 2 over bite with deep labiodental fold (see pics on Overbite forum)

I know the best solution would be bimax and possible genioplasty. However my bite doesn't bother me and some improvement with a lower chance of numbness does appeal? My main issue is a short face from front on, my chin hides my recessed jaw at the moment.

Is there any reason not to do a genio with a bite that is not class 1, other than it is does not provide the absolute best functional solution. My surgeon is experienced in both jaw surgery and genios. I would not pay for the surgery as I have been told it would be funded by the NHS in the UK? Any thoughts appreciated

slysurfz

• Private
Re: Genioplasty when you have an overbite
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
Genioplasty has functional impact the back of the chin bone is connected to genioglossus muscle which will bring tongue forward and normally helps with sleep apnea.

Since its not a concern for you it might not have any functional impact in your case

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
An SG can help with mild OSA IF the doctor performs the surgery in such a way to affect the position of that throat bone. Typically though doctors don't really see an SG as treatment for OSA for how little it helps.

DC77

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Had same issue as you, Class II (10mm overbite), recessed chin.
Don't necessarily think you need an advancement genio, just consider having the BiMax to advance the lower jaw, then the chin will follow. There are lots of options for the genio if you choose to have it done, they can slide it up and to the right, or just advance forward, or genio reduction. The genio serves no functional purpose, and you will have numbness for over a year. Consider the benefits of correcting your malloclusion, because it can affect the way you talk, breathe, chew food, appearence, smile.

I've read and heard that with the genii there is less chance of  permanent numbness than
With lower jaw surgery, when comparing each in its own (not jaw and genii yogether). Where have u heard the numbness lasts over 1 year?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »
i think it is a decent compromise sometimes-maybe post pics?

Lurker25

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
i think it is a decent compromise sometimes-maybe post pics?

His pictures are here: http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=5342.0

His chin could even arguably be considered ideal. It may need a little bit of lengthening in the vertical direction.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
His pictures are here: http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=5342.0

His chin could even arguably be considered ideal. It may need a little bit of lengthening in the vertical direction.

Yeah imo as far as projection is concerned it should line up somewhere between the upper and lower lip, but it should always be a little bit more projected than the lower lip.

DC77

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Here are some more photos, I have braces on my teeth in these..

This last one shows what it might look like if I had surgery possibly a genio

sorry if they are a bit big

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
dc given your situation i would strongly advise against genio---you have a big chin but a small jaw, classic situation where sliding genio/chin implant would make you look uglier.

just my opinion

DC77

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
I agree. That morph is most likely overly optimistic. Unlikely that a genio would fill in the mentolabial fold like that. Could you not just get a BSSO?

Yes probably is optimistic. The surgeon suggested that he could rotate the chin as part of the genioplasty to increase vertical height while not having the chin too prominent.

However  if I had a BSSO Ive got a wisdom tooth right on the nerve where he needs to cut. He says which he feels would increase my chance of significant permanent numbness on the lip - the X ray showing this is on the previous photos. I think actual numbness of the lip like that when you having a filling at the dentist (as opposed to maybe altered sensation) would be difficult for me to accept

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
Yes probably is optimistic. The surgeon suggested that he could rotate the chin as part of the genioplasty to increase vertical height while not having the chin too prominent.

However  if I had a BSSO Ive got a wisdom tooth right on the nerve where he needs to cut. He says which he feels would increase my chance of significant permanent numbness on the lip - the X ray showing this is on the previous photos. I think actual numbness of the lip like that when you having a filling at the dentist (as opposed to maybe altered sensation) would be difficult for me to accept

tough call but the lip alignment would stay the same with the genio.

DC77

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
tough call but the lip alignment would stay the same with the genio.

Sorry my misunderstanding what do you mean by the lip alignment, the labiomental fold?

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
that the bottom lip does not meet with the upper one while it seems to do so in the morph!

ditterbo

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
that the bottom lip does not meet with the upper one while it seems to do so in the morph!

yeah and why the heck is the morph zoomed in? makes the before/after much harder to gauge.

needadvancement

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 02:08:23 AM »
I would even go further and say that if you have vertical height added, your lower lip might slightly roll in, making the discrepancy between your upper and lower lip even more exaggerated(uglier). It happened to me after my SG and seemingly most people although it does get better over time.