Author Topic: Bone loss from a root canal?  (Read 3700 times)

haven

• Private
Re: Bone loss from a root canal?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Not sure how to 'answer' this one. If the tooth had to be extracted, say due to an infection or could not be 'saved', I don't think the space really closes. But the other teeth might change their orientations (move). In that case, bone loss to the aveolar process would visible in an X ray by a DIP right above the lost tooth (if from upper jaw) and right below it (if from lower jaw). Takes some time as it happens over the course of time and no I don't know the exact time.

If the 'tooth' was extracted for BRACES, (in which case it would be TEETH as 2, one on each side would be extracted) and this was done to COMPENSATE as to make the 'bite right', the OTHER teeth would be forced by the braces to CLOSE in on this space. Like the space is made to give the other teeth room to reorient to get the 'bite right'. In that case, you probably would not see the aveolar bone loss DIP you could see in an X ray if the tooth were extracted outside of the process of doing so to have braces. What you would see is a reorientation of facial bone structure. Worst case scenario is smushed in upper face and/or more retrusion to the jaw when the bite is 'made right' via ortho, eg skeletal class 2 types.

If extractions were done for braces to PREPARE for a maxfax surgery, bone loss would not tend to matter that much because it's done to make a GAIN towards advancement. Like you gain more than what is 'sacrificed' for the gain.

Do you know if extracting the wisdom teeth leads to retrusion of the jaws if the person still has all their other teeth (no extractions)?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
Do you know if extracting the wisdom teeth leads to retrusion of the jaws if the person still has all their other teeth (no extractions)?

I don't know if the aveolar bone resorption from the extraction would result in retrusion.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
Ok guys, I have the radiograph image of the root canal tooth and the alveolar bone definitely looks like it's receding around where the root canal was done. I'm freaking out. I see what everyone's saying about there being enough biting force with the new tooth to prevent bone loss, but I think in my case the tooth was just not ideally positioned relative to the opposing maxillary wisdom tooth -- and it definitely looks like the bone is being resorbed and I think my jaw on the same side is getting smaller. What do I do?? Do I ask for a new root canal? Or a dental implant?

Can you show on the X ray were the bone loss is to help others see what you are seeing in the X ray?

tjarrr

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »
Can you show on the X ray were the bone loss is to help others see what you are seeing in the X ray?

Circled in red. You can see the gym/alveolar bone is receded relative to the adjacent teeth.

tjarrr

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »
Is there any way to know for certain whether my jaw is smaller? I had lateral cephs done a couple months prior to the root canal procedure, should I get them redone and have them compared?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
IDK. If your dentist was 'unsure' about whether or not you had bone resorption around the root canaled tooth, I don't think you can expect non-dentists on here to be more sure as to tell you what to do.

You say the root canal was done to the 'wisdom tooth'. The X ray of the root canal is to tooth #31. #31 is a SECOND MOLAR and NOT a wisdom tooth.

So, if you don't know the difference between a wisdom tooth and a second pre-molar, try not to freak yourself out as to what you think an X ray is conveying especially in light that the dentist told you it needs no further treatment.

tjarrr

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
IDK. If your dentist was 'unsure' about whether or not you had bone resorption around the root canaled tooth, I don't think you can expect non-dentists on here to be more sure as to tell you what to do.

You say the root canal was done to the 'wisdom tooth'. The X ray of the root canal is to tooth #31. #31 is a SECOND MOLAR and NOT a wisdom tooth.

So, if you don't know the difference between a wisdom tooth and a second pre-molar, try not to freak yourself out as to what you think an X ray is conveying especially in light that the dentist told you it needs no further treatment.

What? There are 32 teeth. #31 would mean therefore it is the left wisdom/third molar tooth.

EDIT: just looked up the dental notation, you’re right that that would make it the second molar, but she definitely wrote that by mistake. It’s the farthest tooth back and I have all my mandibular teeth on that side (my right side). Maybe they just didn’t count the left wisdom tooth that never erupted, making the final tooth the 31st and not the 32nd.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »
What? There are 32 teeth. #31 would mean therefore it is the left wisdom/third molar tooth.

EDIT: just looked up the dental notation, you’re right that that would make it the second molar, but she definitely wrote that by mistake. It’s the farthest tooth back and I have all my mandibular teeth on that side (my right side). Maybe they just didn’t count the left wisdom tooth that never erupted, making the final tooth the 31st and not the 32nd.

OK, it's tooth #32 (wisdom) that has the root canal. It's just that the dentist repeated it was #31 in the assessment.