Author Topic: Inheriting the bad genes  (Read 2834 times)

jawsome

Inheriting the bad genes
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
I swear between me and my sister I got the worse end of the stick.

My sister has perfect teeth, symmetrical face, is thin, smart and tall whereas I got stuck with a wonky face, terrible vision, short height and other issues.

No point here other than to complain about the unfairness of genetics.

CK

• Private
Re: Inheriting the bad genes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
i dont know...im in the camp that believes a lot of the problems we have have a lot to do with our environment+genetics. orthodontic treatment that undermines normal development...no, it's your genetics. ::)

puts the burden on the patient rather than the doctors who propose backwards treatment plans or harmful advice.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
My sister has a Jay Leno chin (but normal class 1 jaw), and I had a very receded class II.  Same parents.  Ortho work just made it worse in my case. 

pekay

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »
Ortho work just made it worse in my case.

strip mall ortho?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »
strip mall ortho?

my ortho is touted as the best in the city and actually serves in a very rich/wealthy neighbourhood. has a very flashy office --but i honestly think he's just a good businessman --most people probably aren't educated in what to look for in an ortho. i can tell you one thing --damon braces are a much, much better option, so if the ortho is using those, he's already ahead of the curve. and then someone who is straightforward and against extractions.

as for genetics --epigenetics is the study of how environment affects genetic expression, also i think a lot of stuff can be intervened with if caught before the age of 8 or 9 and moreover, things like diet, exercise, stress allergies etc.. also affect growth. but i mean yeah, there are people like tom cruise and johnny depp or supermodels who just have ridiculous genes.

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
as for genetics --epigenetics is the study of how environment affects genetic expression, also i think a lot of stuff can be intervened with if caught before the age of 8 or 9 and moreover, things like diet, exercise, stress allergies etc.. also affect growth. but i mean yeah, there are people like tom cruise and johnny depp or supermodels who just have ridiculous genes.

interesting.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
My Mother has a small cute nose, great bone structure, face shape and smile, and is 5'7".  Straight teeth except one on top with no ortho work.  Tanned skin and mid brown hair

I'm 5'1", white skin, black hair and eyebrows.  I so wish I got my Mother's face but no - I got my paternal great-grandfathers face.  I got my face from my paternal grandfather and my body from my paternal grandmother, and nothing from my mother looks wise except my one squint tooth on the top.  I have the literally the exact same face as my father, apart from the nose (smaller) and cheekbones (bigger) - however my lip discrepancy is MUCH worse, as was my double chin pre-lipo.  Could be because I'm female and have high oestrogen or it could be a result of my previous ortho work or it could be because I got sick a lot when I was about 1 or 2 years old - some of my teeth developed with really bad enamel so it's not impossible to imagine it affected other parts of my skeleton 

My sister got my mother's basic bone structure except her nose, and the exact same body and colouring.

The good thing about looking so like my father is that I know how my face is going to age so can try and pre-empt things.  8)

Luckily as a woman it's easier to change your face with make up, botox, fillers etc.  You can easily make a round eye look almond, contour in cheekbones, get botox to lift the brow, lip fillers etc.

Re: genes, it's about the body as well as the face.  You could have perfect facial bone structure and an awful body.  My bone structure isn't great but I pack a hell of a waist-hip ratio so I guess my genes can't be that bad