Author Topic: orbitals vs zygos vs jawline  (Read 1282 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

orbitals vs zygos vs jawline
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
Making this post sort of in tandem with my other one regarding modified lefort iii.

I'm curious to see what the consensus is here, out of the 3 areas in the title which is least important for facial aesthetics?

Phrasing the question a different way, if you had to sacrifice one for the two which one would you sacrifice & why?

I KNOW THIS IS SOMEWHAT SUBJECTIVE but humour me :)

ODog

Re: orbitals vs zygos vs jawline
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
Jaw is most important. Firstly it’s especially important for men who typically have flatter cheekbones than women. Second, it coincides with how facial development unfolds. Biological resources are channeled toward constructing the jaw first. If enough resources are left over after a good-enough jaw is built, it can then allocate toward cheekbones and orbital and further facial perfection.

This is typically why people with poor jaw development have poor facial development elsewhere, and why people especially men with sharp cheekbones usually always have good jaws. But you can have a good solid square projecting jaw but flat cheekbones. This tells me our faces are constructed like a house: from the bottom, up.

Don’t agree? Go see what a plastic surgeon would say about only enhancing cheekbones if your jaw is bad; if they’re worth their salt they’ll always advise to build he fact out from the bottom up. If you came across someone with superb cheekbones but a narrow, vertically grown, recessed jaw, something would look off, because we are not used to seeing faces with that pattern of development

Reality

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
Difficult... but orbitals - too tired to type why but check former post for House/Foundation theory: orbitals would be last to develop (following ODog's theory, they're technically least important)

*Not saying I agree with said theory, just entertaining the possibility ( :

Personally, although I hate to say it because I love sharp/high-set/wide pairs : Zygos  -you can still have a killer look without them but eyes are very distinguishing and underrated (they can make or break an individuals look)

-Reality

R̼̯̤̗̲̞̥̈ͭ̃ͨ̆e̮̟͈̣̖̰̩̹͈̾ͨ̑͑a̘̫͈̭͌͛͌̇̇̍l͕͖͉̭̰ͬ̍ͤ͆̊ͨi̞̟̫̺ͭ̒ͭͣt̘̟̼̉̈́͐͋͌̊y͉̝͖̻̯ͮ̒̂ͮ͋ͫͨ

R͚e͚a͚l͚i͚t͚y͚ Rͦͯͦͯeͦͯͦͯaͦͯͦͯlͦͯͦͯiͦͯͦͯtͦͯͦͯyͦͯͦͯ

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »
Jaw balance comes FIRST. Then you do your 'add ons' such as orbitals, zygos, nose..etc.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ODog

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
Difficult... but orbitals - too tired to type why but check former post for House/Foundation theory: orbitals would be last to develop (following ODog's theory, they're technically least important)

*Not saying I agree with said theory, just entertaining the possibility ( :

Personally, although I hate to say it because I love sharp/high-set/wide pairs : Zygos  -you can still have a killer look without them but eyes are very distinguishing and underrated (they can make or break an individuals look)

That’s fine but you may be underestimating how much the high-set, wide zygos play off a solid jaw, which you may be taking for granted ( for sake of argument). It’s like you see that the jaw is balanced, so your attention is drawn to more detail in the persons face, moving upward, forgetting that it’s the jaw that provides the context, the frame, for everything above. An unbalanced jaw immediately gives off a “something is off” vibe and so you don’t take notice of what may a persons  nice features. A balanced jaw is like a pass to further examine and appreciate the face. So what you may be saying is actually “I like Zygos better IF they’re paired with a good enough jaw.”

Why jaw is so important to aesthetics again makes sense when you think of it terms development. Flat cheekbones are given a pass if he jaw is good because it comes later in development as an “accessory” of sorts and so  indicates that there weren’t major developmental problems.. Since jaw develops more primarily, it serves as a more basic general indicator of health, and anything that inhibits its growth (genetics, disease, nutrition, etc.) is considered more severe than anything that inhibits inhibits Malar development. And health has EVERYTHING to do with aesthetics.