Author Topic: Might have an infection  (Read 3644 times)

ben from UK

Might have an infection
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
last week, the left side of my jaw/cheekside began to swell. I didn't notice it myself and had no pain, redness or fever (someone else told me). I had peek wrap around implants 8 weeks ago. Dr. gave me antibiotics, which rdeduced the swelling but i have an itchy feeling on left side now and I don't know if swelling is completely gone (I guess not).

I guess I will need to take an Xray to find out if it's an infection? What if the Xray shows nothing? If it shows an infection, will I have to take out the whole implant or only the left side? And then wait and redo it again after 3 months? Or can the biofilm/bacteria be wiped out/swept off the implant, the pocket rinsed with antibiotics and then put back in? Some surgeons do it like this, but with silicone implants.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Might have an infection
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »
last week, the left side of my jaw/cheekside began to swell. I didn't notice it myself and had no pain, redness or fever (someone else told me). I had peek wrap around implants 8 weeks ago. Dr. gave me antibiotics, which rdeduced the swelling but i have an itchy feeling on left side now and I don't know if swelling is completely gone (I guess not).

I guess I will need to take an Xray to find out if it's an infection? What if the Xray shows nothing? If it shows an infection, will I have to take out the whole implant or only the left side? And then wait and redo it again after 3 months? Or can the biofilm/bacteria be wiped out/swept off the implant, the pocket rinsed with antibiotics and then put back in? Some surgeons do it like this, but with silicone implants.

I think your surgeon will be the best to advise you on this. I know of one patient who had an infection but once it was gone after taking antibiotics he didn't need any further intervention or surgery and he's been fine for the past few years and I doubt it will come back.

ben from UK

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:51 PM »
I think your surgeon will be the best to advise you on this. I know of one patient who had an infection but once it was gone after taking antibiotics he didn't need any further intervention or surgery and he's been fine for the past few years and I doubt it will come back.

Yeah, infection when having an implant can be solved with antibiotics, but I think especially with silicone because it's a smooth surface. Was it silicone?

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:00:30 AM »
Yeah, infection when having an implant can be solved with antibiotics, but I think especially with silicone because it's a smooth surface. Was it silicone?

Is PEEK porous? I thought it was also smooth.

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 06:56:18 AM »

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
It's porous i think: https://www.nuvasive.com/solutions/advanced-materials-science/porous-peek-technology/

According to that site there is also smooth PEEK.  Wonder which you have

Post bimax

• Private

Reality

• Private
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:51 AM »

^^ No, this is not true and especially not true with silicone. I had silicone and an infection, as you know there was nothing that could be done (had to be extricated).

With silicone, there is no way for the antibiotics to reach the underlying tissues and blood supply, so it (the antibiotic) is rendered ineffective. With my infection it would clear up for 2-3 weeks and then return again but switching sides! (left to right part of jaw). I battled that infection for 3 months (insanity!).

At-least with medpor (or other porous materials) an individual has a chance to eradicate infection, with silicone there is no such hope (I'm not saying silicone is an overall bad material, as I still have it in my cheeks but in-terms of infection, there is little one can do but have the implant removed and "try again" at the 3-6 month mark).

ben from UK

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
^^ No, this is not true and especially not true with silicone. I had silicone and an infection, as you know there was nothing that could be done (had to be extricated).

With silicone, there is no way for the antibiotics to reach the underlying tissues and blood supply, so it (the antibiotic) is rendered ineffective. With my infection it would clear up for 2-3 weeks and then return again but switching sides! (left to right part of jaw). I battled that infection for 3 months (insanity!).

At-least with medpor (or other porous materials) an individual has a chance to eradicate infection, with silicone there is no such hope (I'm not saying silicone is an overall bad material, as I still have it in my cheeks but in-terms of infection, there is little one can do but have the implant removed and "try again" at the 3-6 month mark).

I read different things about this, namely that it's harder for bacteria to place themselves on smooth surfaces like silicone instead of rough surfaces. Also, that antibiotics indeed can't reach the underlying tissues and blood supply when it comes to silicone, but they can when it comes to porous implants. But overall, what I read, is that with an infection of porous implants, the implant must come out, but with silicone, it could be treated with antibiotics (small chance of saving the implant).

ben from UK

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 04:49:59 PM »
Does anyone know if you have to remove the whole wrap around implant after infection or only one side?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
Does anyone know if you have to remove the whole wrap around implant after infection or only one side?
Are you seeing the original surgeon for this?  I don't want to pour salt on your wounds, but would the surgeon revise at a lower rate?  You could technically argue that infection is not the patient's fault.

ben from UK

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »
Are you seeing the original surgeon for this?  I don't want to pour salt on your wounds, but would the surgeon revise at a lower rate?  You could technically argue that infection is not the patient's fault.

I signed the consent form and it was stated that revision was free from what I read. I already payed alot for this, revisions should be free of charge imo. It's also a necessary medical procedure and not an aestethic procedure anymore. Some surgeons work in hospitals as well, including mine, so I guess they get payed by the hospital, but I don't know how it goes precisely. Most plastic surgeons are smart businessmen as well.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »
I signed the consent form and it was stated that revision was free from what I read. I already payed alot for this, revisions should be free of charge imo. It's also a necessary medical procedure and not an aestethic procedure anymore. Some surgeons work in hospitals as well, including mine, so I guess they get payed by the hospital, but I don't know how it goes precisely. Most plastic surgeons are smart businessmen as well.
They are businessmen first and doctors second.