Author Topic: Lower Jaw Expansion Best Options?  (Read 5350 times)

forwardgrowth

Lower Jaw Expansion Best Options?
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
Hello,

I am 20 years that has a class 2 bite planning on getting BSSO but would first like to expand my lower jaw via a distractor first if possible is consulting with a IMDO doctor in Mexico the best option for this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:00:13 PM by forwardgrowth »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Lower Jaw Expansion Options?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »
IMDO is aimed at children or adolescents in the GROWING STAGE. It won't widen your lower jaw transversely if that's what you mean by 'expand'. It pushes it forward BUT works when one is in growing stage (children or young teens with class 2 recessive jaw). If you are planning on getting BSSO, you should go with the plan the doctor doing the surgery gives you.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Lower Jaw Expansion Options?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
IMDO is aimed at children or adolescents in the GROWING STAGE. It won't widen your lower jaw transversely if that's what you mean by 'expand'. It pushes it forward BUT works when one is in growing stage (children or young teens with class 2 recessive jaw). If you are planning on getting BSSO, you should go with the plan the doctor doing the surgery gives you.

This.
Getting traverse in the lower jaw, as an adult, is like finding a unicorn.
Best option might be lower jaw advancement (if possible given your structure) because then the wider/back part of the jaw will be more forward.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

forwardgrowth

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:39:42 PM by forwardgrowth »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Lower Jaw Expansion Best Options?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzmMy584ZU What do you guys think about this

https://www.sylvainchamberland.com/en/blog/expansion-mandibulaire-symphysaire-par-osteodistraction/?fbclid=IwAR1IKf4lwfKfcKoZGZutcf1lLiOJsMQpzTmssaVhITTfIY20uQEiK83foGM

I just had a consult with a doc who wrote a bunch of papers about how distraction was the next wave for everything and he turned out to be pretty useless.

David A Walker is the guy's name. I can't believe how pathetic he was. He was old, but he also admitted he had only ever done two lower jaw widening cases and then I was like ahhh f**k off I wouldn't trust you with this anyway so I didn't even bother asking him follow up questions.

I think Mommaerts would do it though. Maybe not the lengthening that this woman is having, but Mommaerts would probably do the widening one for you. I don't know how long this would take i.e. for you to stay in a hospital in belgium and the rest of the logistics. But again, you could consult him over facetime or something.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 11:45:34 PM »
Will wreck your cobdyles

Lefortitude

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
typically, a bsso, which focuses on advancement, also creates the appearance of a wider lower jaw. The jaw is advanced, making it closer to the viewer, and therefore appear larger.  Its also going to look relatively wider, since its sitting in an advanced position on the face.

Having it widened by osteotomy is possible, but i would really not recommend it.

forwardgrowth

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »

forwardgrowth

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
I just had a consult with a doc who wrote a bunch of papers about how distraction was the next wave for everything and he turned out to be pretty useless.

David A Walker is the guy's name. I can't believe how pathetic he was. He was old, but he also admitted he had only ever done two lower jaw widening cases and then I was like ahhh f**k off I wouldn't trust you with this anyway so I didn't even bother asking him follow up questions.

I think Mommaerts would do it though. Maybe not the lengthening that this woman is having, but Mommaerts would probably do the widening one for you. I don't know how long this would take i.e. for you to stay in a hospital in belgium and the rest of the logistics. But again, you could consult him over facetime or something.

Thank you I contacted Mommarets and IMDO mexico to ask about distraction and how many MM's they can do

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
Thank you I contacted Mommarets and IMDO mexico to ask about distraction and how many MM's they can do

I would consider that Indian doc too. India isn't a third world country when it comes to medicine anymore and the standard of care is probably very high for foreigners especially.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzmMy584ZU What do you guys think about this

https://www.sylvainchamberland.com/en/blog/expansion-mandibulaire-symphysaire-par-osteodistraction/?fbclid=IwAR1IKf4lwfKfcKoZGZutcf1lLiOJsMQpzTmssaVhITTfIY20uQEiK83foGM

As you can see from the video, she has some tubes or wires sticking out of her neck. So, this distraction is going to require some SURGERY as in open INCISION to do it.

Sure enough, some of the doc's video of patient/s having mandible distraction osteogenesis. shows the incision for this is under the jaw, entry from outside of face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10ei8bfEas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10ei8bfEas

Doctor seems kind of affable and knowledgeable. But there are LAPSES of information if you only watch one video. But he certainly has a LOT of videos that you could watch that are somewhat informative. No idea if this is right thing for you.

Yes, that is distraction osteogenisis BUT it's NOT IMDO for children where the surgery is inside the mouth and is aimed at the growth stage and yes, you will have an outside of the face CUT to do it.

So, did you just watch that ONE video or did you search his video profile to see the ones where they show the open incision from front of face to put in the distractor?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
I would consider that Indian doc too. India isn't a third world country when it comes to medicine anymore and the standard of care is probably very high for foreigners especially.

He certainly appears very knowledgeable and since it's his video, he'd be the one to consult with if one wanted to know if the process applied to their situation.

forwardgrowth

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
Ah I see.
this was the man that helped with distractors and procedure https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/doctor/default?id=rohit-k-khosla will call him monday asking for providers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:20:29 PM by forwardgrowth »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »
The upper jaw is only ever distracted to match the lower. The lower is almost never distracted. The only way you'll get someone to agree to distract your lower is if it's an insanely crowded narrow triangular arch. I bet that's not the case.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
The upper jaw is only ever distracted to match the lower. The lower is almost never distracted. The only way you'll get someone to agree to distract your lower is if it's an insanely crowded narrow triangular arch. I bet that's not the case.

I have a VERY lower arch, but its not crowded anymore cause I had extractions.