Author Topic: Who has had two SG's?  (Read 843 times)

needadvancement

Who has had two SG's?
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:44:04 AM »
I'm just curious because it has never left my mind since my half-satisfied SG of 2016, which btw left me with zero side effects but still makes me wonder if it worth to gamble and get either worse, or a very satisfying result. So if you did get two of these could you please how it went, was it worth it to try again etc?

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Who has had two SG's?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:34:50 AM »
I haven’t had this but revision SG is very common. As with any revision, risks are higher. But I’ve read of many many revision SG cases that went through without issue.

Freeways

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
I've had two SG's. The first result was good but I wanted a bit more advancement. The final result turned out very well. I used to have insecurities about my chin position but now it's my best feature.

In hindsight, it might have been better to do double jaw surgery rather than two attempts at camouflage, because I'd have the benefit of a bigger airway and possibly an even better result. Can't complain about the SG's at all though, the final result turned out better than I expected beforehand, and I don't have any lip numbness.

I doubt you'd look worse if you get a second SG, I've never seen a case where a "class 2" patient's chin was advanced too much. You'll have to consider the other risks of the surgery though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:05:12 PM by Freeways »

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:14 PM »
I haven’t had this but revision SG is very common. As with any revision, risks are higher. But I’ve read of many many revision SG cases that went through without issue.

Yeah, at first I could feel the plates/screws on my chin, now I no longer can so more bone must have grown over it by now. It would seem to be difficult for a surgeon to remove the hardware now without ruining the chin bone structure.

And my SG(5mm forward and 5mm downward movements) was done without grafts. I think with a revision I would need to get grafts too for stability. Bigger risks everywhere now.

ITALIA

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
I had 2 SG's. After the second surgery my chin and jaw looked good but over time I lost volume which took away from the affect.
I would look at what your trying to change. A SG doesn't change the shape of the chin so volume maybe needed to be added. Also is it the chin which is the issue or your lower jaw??

There are also risks with a SG. I have slight numbness in my lower teeth and also I have a strain in my mentalis muscle.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
I had 2 SG's. After the second surgery my chin and jaw looked good but over time I lost volume which took away from the affect.
I would look at what your trying to change. A SG doesn't change the shape of the chin so volume maybe needed to be added. Also is it the chin which is the issue or your lower jaw??

There are also risks with a SG. I have slight numbness in my lower teeth and also I have a strain in my mentalis muscle.

Lost volume how, from the disappearing residual swelling that lingered after the surgery?

Both the chin and the lower jaw are the issue. I never wanted a BSSO, it was always the height and projection of my chin that bothered me enough to go for the SG.