Author Topic: Post-op braces  (Read 1070 times)

ghiggson90

• Private
Post-op braces
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
I’ve seen folks on YouTube getting braces off after 2 months, 5 months, 15 months. Some surgeons say minimum of 4 months, others say minimum of 6 months. What’s the JSF consensus here? I’m 4 months post-op and scheduled to be debraced in a few days. Is this premature? Ortho and surgeon have given their blessing.

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Post-op braces
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
Are you happy with your bite?  That's what matters.  It's not going to impact the healing for your jaw.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Immediately post op I was told I wouldn't need "the full 6 months", but that's how long it ended up anyway. My bite is perfect and has not shifted.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
Thanks both. My bite is great. My only reservation is that the triangle elastics I’m wearing feel very tight. Not sure if that means things are trying to shift or if that feeling is normal.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
Thanks both. My bite is great. My only reservation is that the triangle elastics I’m wearing feel very tight. Not sure if that means things are trying to shift or if that feeling is normal.

You'll be given a retainer (either Hawley or thermoplastic), so that will keep your teeth in place until they set.

Usually it's something you wear 24/7 for several months and then only at night for the rest of your life.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
You'll be given a retainer (either Hawley or thermoplastic), so that will keep your teeth in place until they set.

Usually it's something you wear 24/7 for several months and then only at night for the rest of your life.
Yes, that's been my experience.