Author Topic: (LOTS of) Complications associated with orthognathic surgery  (Read 18599 times)

april

• Private
Re: (LOTS of) Complications associated with orthognathic surgery
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
But since I'm not a member of that blog, i could not read all of the posts.

I'm guessing that forum shut down. I used to be a member but I can't log on anymore.

On the topic of complications - this is a good slideshow (although definitely not directed at patients)

https://www.slideshare.net/ArjunShenoy3/orthognathic-complications

It goes through pre-surgical, intraop, and postop complications.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »
I'm guessing that forum shut down. I used to be a member but I can't log on anymore.

It doesn't appear to be shut down: http://www.jawsurgeryblog.com/forums/

My guess is the admin culled old accounts that haven't logged in for a certain period of time. It's a common cleanup.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

april

• Private
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »
Maybe they've stopped registrations too because when I click on register it goes to some clickfunnels website.

ETA: Managed to recover my account and log on. There's not much more info in Justin's post except

"Hi. I'm Justin's cousin and not a spammer. What we know of what happened to Justin is not clear except that in moving the jaw the artery on the left side of his brain tore open from jostled ligaments and began to bleed. Justin fought for five days but ultimately it was not enough. There are no recorded previous cases of it happening. It was an accident."

Someone in the post also linked to a different case of someone dying during jaw surgery

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/docs-tried-to-save-zehan-939420
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:11:28 AM by april »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »

On the topic of complications - this is a good slideshow (although definitely not directed at patients)

Well, that certainly is in line with the header description of 'LOTS of'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »

Interesting that "Counterclockwise rotation of the mandible be avoided" is listed as one of the methods of preventing relapse (slide 70).  It's indicated so often that i'm surprised it would be presented that way.  I guess it's 'technically' true though.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
CCW increases relapse. Muscles win when in a battle with bone.
Large CCW is especially prone to it. If the forces are in balance you won't get relapse, in general.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
CCW increases relapse. Muscles win when in a battle with bone.
Large CCW is especially prone to it. If the forces are in balance you won't get relapse, in general.

Do the muscles gain mechanical advantage against the displacements more during CCW than straight MMA? I’m trying to visualize why it would be less stable. I’m not really familiar with facial muscle anatomy and which muscles pull which direction.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
Do the muscles gain mechanical advantage against the displacements more during CCW than straight MMA? I’m trying to visualize why it would be less stable. I’m not really familiar with facial muscle anatomy and which muscles pull which direction.

I think with CCW they're pulling more directly backward, which puts force on the TMJ.
But I'm not positive.
I was just told by several surgeons that muscle > bone in any fight/imbalance.

april

• Private
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
Oh gosh  :'( There's a member of the jaw surgery support group on facebook who died this week, a couple of days after her DJS. No word on what happened to yet.

Daedalus

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 01:16:24 AM »
Oh gosh  :'( There's a member of the jaw surgery support group on facebook who died this week, a couple of days after her DJS. No word on what happened to yet.

Wow, please share any updates if they will come along. Who was the surgeon? What went wrong?
Thanks.

Lefortitude

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 05:50:13 AM »
I saw that too april.  she seemed relatively young too :(

Not sure of the details but she was from Houston TX.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »

I read something about having diabetes. Not sure if that's a risk factor, but surgery in general surgery comes with a risk.

april

• Private
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
Nah, well besides from her family no-one knows what happened yet or if she had any pre existing health issues. I saw that comment about diabetes and I think it was written about someone else.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Nah, well besides from her family no-one knows what happened yet or if she had any pre existing health issues. I saw that comment about diabetes and I think it was written about someone else.

Regardless, I don't see a clear connection to jaw surgery being dangerous, but more a general surgery risk, or maybe even unrelated to that as well. There's way to little information and unfortunately accidents happen, even to people having jaw surgery.