Author Topic: Receded jaw/chin and deep mentolabial fold, need advise on what can be done?  (Read 1099 times)

duduric

Hello guys,
It all started with me discovering about chin implants and doing some research. My weak jaw was always bothered me since early age
I don't have any functional problems (just a very slight overbite), I have been told a chin implant would not be possible due to my mentolabial fold being deep ( so my chin actually is strong? ). Genioplasty would also make it look unnatural due to it. Is that true? what would be my options? I want to avoid doing a jaw surgery (which seems a major hassle) without very good reasons (non aesthetic).
I attached a side picture that should show it clearly (let me know if other angles are needed)

Thanks in advance!

Lefortitude

So it seems you've been quite lucky with some honest advice on what wouldn't really work for you.  It's hard to tell for sure without seeing an x-ray but I assume by how far back your lower lip is relative to your upper lip that you have a steep occlusion plane. 

A chin implant, and even to some extent a sliding genioplasty looks odd in these cases because it exclusively augments the chin bone, without moving the  "b-point" which is where the lower teeth sit, directly above the chin point.  If the chin is too far in front of the teeth it looks odd.

If you could post more pictures and perhaps an xray (lateral ceph) we would be able to provide better explanation and recommendations.

kavan

• Global Moderator
You could probably get by with a type of genio that is in the out and down direction. It is not a 'sliding' genio that slides out and up. The type I'm talking about is sometimes called 'oblique' genio where a hard material like a slice of medpore block is sandwiched between the bone cuts. It allows the type of out and down diagonal direction where there is both advancement and some elongation to chin. It will not make the under lip chin fold deeper. But you need to find a doc that more genio combinations than just the 'sliding' genio.

Ya, I see the lower jaw is recessed. But not so much that you couldn't mask some of it with the type of genio I suggest. Even when only the lower jaw looks recessed, they often have to do the bimax so the bite fits together. However, IF someone could do a SINGLE (lower) jaw only (Diagnostics needed to even find out), that would be ideal.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.