Author Topic: Before/after pics  (Read 12468 times)

breakkate

Before/after pics
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »
Got my braces off recently (only two and a half months after surgery) and thought I'd share my results! I had (in not very technical terms...) the top jaw moved up and forward, I had a cant which they corrected by moving one side up more than the other. I also had the bottom jaw moved forward 8mm. Hope that made sense- I never did get my head round the proper terms!

[attachment deleted by admin]

pekay

Re: Before/after pics
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
looks good, congrats

you know how much was impacted?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
do you not have profile pics? that would give us a much better idea. you look pretty much the same to me in both pics.

breakkate

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
Thanks! think it was 4mm on one side and 6mm on the other. My upper jaw was tilted apparently, I never noticed!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
Got my braces off recently (only two and a half months after surgery) and thought I'd share my results! I had (in not very technical terms...) the top jaw moved up and forward, I had a cant which they corrected by moving one side up more than the other. I also had the bottom jaw moved forward 8mm. Hope that made sense- I never did get my head round the proper terms!

could you also tell us how you feel? is there more space for your tongue now? is your breathing better? what about sensation, can you feel everything on your lip chin? thanks!

breakkate

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »
I haven't got a profile one currently- I keep forgetting to ask someone to take one! But I feel much better about my face from the front- the 'before' photo doesn't show it but I used to not be able to close my mouth and now I can! That's a huge difference for everyone who knows me :)

I have most of the feeling back in my face, except for half of my bottom lip and a small area in my chin. It took about 4 weeks for most the feeling to come back!
I breathe through my nose now, I used to breathe exclusively through my mouth. Chewing is now so easy compared to before- I feel like I have a blender in my mouth!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
I haven't got a profile one currently- I keep forgetting to ask someone to take one! But I feel much better about my face from the front- the 'before' photo doesn't show it but I used to not be able to close my mouth and now I can! That's a huge difference for everyone who knows me :)

I have most of the feeling back in my face, except for half of my bottom lip and a small area in my chin. It took about 4 weeks for most the feeling to come back!
I breathe through my nose now, I used to breathe exclusively through my mouth. Chewing is now so easy compared to before- I feel like I have a blender in my mouth!

sounds wonderful, happy to hear you're doing well.

pekay

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
breakkate how old were you when you had the surgery? did you have a genio as well?
Chopsticks > Spoons

breakkate

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
Had surgery 3 months ago, just after my 20th birthday! The first picture was when I was 17, literally a week before my braces went on! Nope no genio for me, I sometimes wonder if I should have done but hey too late now!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
Had surgery 3 months ago, just after my 20th birthday! The first picture was when I was 17, literally a week before my braces went on! Nope no genio for me, I sometimes wonder if I should have done but hey too late now!

yeah a genio is a totally separate thing. might even be better and less traumatic to do it separately. if you feel you want a stronger chin and more projection go for it.

breakkate

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Oh ok fair enough- I thought the result was pretty good myself, considering I could barely look in the mirror before!

breakkate

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Ok bad lighting but this is the only picture I have of me now! Think it's more obvious in this picture!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alue

• Private
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »
do you not have profile pics? that would give us a much better idea. you look pretty much the same to me in both pics.

She has less of a gummy smile in the after picture.  In any case it looks like a good result, and from what she has said it sounds like she has much better functionality. 

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
Kate, congrats on your surgery, you look great :)  Hair is fab too!

How was the recovery?  Where you wired?

breakkate

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Recovery was fine actually, they didnt wire me and i didnt have to have a splint ether but I lost a lot of weight (stone and a half) really quickly which was worrying because they told me before surgery that I was a tiny bit underweight anyway! I'm pretty tall which makes my bmi look low when I don't look underweight. After surgery You could count my ribs, it was disgusting!
I had a bit of a "misbehaving heart" during surgery so I had to go back into hospital regularly for them to just check I was ok during recovery. But other than that I was relatively upbeat, despite the hugely swollen face. I looked like a lollypop.