Author Topic: Advice needed on what to do with my chin [Botched implant / CT Scan images]  (Read 817 times)

linoob

Hey guys, first post from me.

I'll try and make this as concise and to the point as possible. Please bare with me.

I had a large stock silicone chin implant inserted intraorally in August last year by an Australian surgeon.

It didn't seem right from the get-go, but I persevered.

6 months later I felt it wasn't sitting right so had imaging done. As suspected the implant was either A) Several malpositioned or B) Migrated during the healing process.

Images post-op:

I refuse to go back to the original surgeon for a multitude of reasons.

I asked another, more qualified plastic surgeon in Australia just yesterday if he would consider a revising with another implant and fixation or genioplasty.

He said he wouldn't touch me until my implant was removed by the initial surgeon, along with waiting 6 months to heal.

He also said you can't fixate silicone, so the options he gave me were stock PEEK implants with fixation or genioplasty.

I asked him why he couldn't simply remove the implant and perform a genioplasty during the same surgery and he said he doesn't know what "base" he's working. (I don't know what to make of this).

I'm consulting another maxfac surgeon (Dr. Alistair Reid) here in Australia next monday to see if he's willing to remove + perform genioplasty under one procedure.

I feel that minimizing the amount of surgeries where possible is a good thing and feel that an experienced surgeon should be able to remove/revise under one procedure.

Literally all I want is some god damn chin projection but for reasons beyond me it feels like Australian surgeons are utterly incapable of such a simple cosmetic procedure.

Results I am after:

My questions are:

A) What would you do if you were in my situation?

B) How many mm of advancement should I ask for to achieve the results above? (Genioplasty)

Thank you all.

GJ

• Administrator
Hey mate.

Go with fixation/genio. Silicone is not a great material to have in the body, and it can erode bone over time.
My guess is the surgeon will do it, but they want the other guy to remove it for liability issues. Makes sense, but it's also a red flag that surgeon cares way too much about lawsuits than patients. You should be able to find someone ethical who will remove it and revise it.

You look to need just a fairly straight forward linear movement of the chin.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

XXRyanXXL

I agree with gj.
Anyone who has ever had a chin implant, will have eventual erosion on the bone-implant surface. I had one for 7 years and it eroded the surface of the bone approximately 1-2mm, there was a clear indent in the bone when they did my VSP planning for my double jaw surgery. So that implant will actually be set back over time. In your case, you just need a simple genio advancement, i see too much depth with the current implant, and actually elongated the chin.

Ta