Author Topic: orbital rim implants post jaw surgery  (Read 2795 times)

beautyislife

orbital rim implants post jaw surgery
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:11:41 AM »
I had jaw surgery just about 6 months ago. I had HA placed on my cheeks during the operation.
Something I've noticed in photos and overall is that my eye area seems "disconnected" as in there is a noticeable shift from the cheeks to my eyes. It gives me a more "setback" look to my eye area. I also have some under eye hollowing.

I spoke with Dr. Taban, and he recommended getting orbital rim implants. I was worried about implants before, but I think I'm over that concern. Now my concern with this is that while it would address the hollowing, it may lead to my eyes looking even more set back and appear like tunnels, if that makes sense.

I tried to google this, and found https://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/can-infraorbital-rim-implants-help-after-jaw-surgery/ where Eppley states this could potentially be an issue (more setback eyes). I also read through this article (https://pocketdentistry.com/augmentation-of-the-infraorbital-rim-in-orthognathic-surgery/) indicating the use of a silicone implant at the time of jaw surgery for Class III patients that exhibited orbital rim deficiency and it seems to indicate the aesthetic results were favorable, though, it doesn't address the issue I'm looking into.

Wondering for other's thoughts on this - does my concern seem valid? My worry would be doing this implant and then being left with eyes that look too deepset / too set back.

GJ

• Administrator
Re: orbital rim implants post jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:18:04 AM »
I'd remove the HA, if possible, before doing that. It might not be possible to remove it, but it's worth asking.

This is the problem with HA and why it's not a panacea as we all hoped years ago.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

beautyislife

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
I'd remove the HA, if possible, before doing that. It might not be possible to remove it, but it's worth asking.

This is the problem with HA and why it's not a panacea as we all hoped years ago.

Yeah, I guess removing HA prior to the implant is a decent idea, or at least checking in on it. I've heard it can be scraped off, but my worry there at this point it'd just look worse having it scraped off or attempted to be contoured evenly.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »
Concerns about how one would possibly look with this or that procedure are hard to address in the absence of photos. What I can tell you is that orbital rim implants are for people with 'prominent eye' or what is called 'negative vector' relationship. Their aim is to make the eye are look LESS forward as in MORE set back.  So,  in the absence of photos, feel free to apply the verbal information to what you see in the mirror. You should also ascertain whether or not your cheek augmentation is in fact ONLY to the malar area and not to the orbital rim area itself and whether or not Taban's suggestion for orbital rim implants was based on the cheek augmentation you ALREADY HAVE.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beautyislife

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:11:43 AM »
Concerns about how one would possibly look with this or that procedure are hard to address in the absence of photos. What I can tell you is that orbital rim implants are for people with 'prominent eye' or what is called 'negative vector' relationship. Their aim is to make the eye are look LESS forward as in MORE set back.  So,  in the absence of photos, feel free to apply the verbal information to what you see in the mirror. You should also ascertain whether or not your cheek augmentation is in fact ONLY to the malar area and not to the orbital rim area itself and whether or not Taban's suggestion for orbital rim implants was based on the cheek augmentation you ALREADY HAVE.

Thank you for the detailed response. I completely understand it's just a guessing game unless I provide pics (which I think I will once I have lost a bit more facial fat and swelling so that I can truly see what's deficient). That said, all that makes sense, and that is in line with my exact concern, so I appreciate the explanation. I spoke with Taban and mentioned my augmentation and showed him my x-rays, so the current suggestion for orbital rim implants was based on the augmentation that already exists.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
Thank you for the detailed response. I completely understand it's just a guessing game unless I provide pics (which I think I will once I have lost a bit more facial fat and swelling so that I can truly see what's deficient). That said, all that makes sense, and that is in line with my exact concern, so I appreciate the explanation. I spoke with Taban and mentioned my augmentation and showed him my x-rays, so the current suggestion for orbital rim implants was based on the augmentation that already exists.

OK if his suggestion for ORBIs was based on his seeing (via X rays) where the other implant material was, it's very possible his suggestion for them implied he could put them in NEXT TO the other stuff and not have to remove it so that placement of the oris would give a continuum from the projection of one augmentation area to the other.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.