Author Topic: Lengthening face.  (Read 3083 times)

andyyyy37

Lengthening face.
« on: November 25, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
I see it’s more common to want to shorten a long face but I wanna do the opposite. I’m getting a Downgraft soon due to lack of tooth show. Does this make the face longer? The surgeon says he will do about 6-7 mm down but that sounds like such a small amount to me. He is also going to do a genioplasty, can a genioplasty lengthen your face and by how much? Also what can I do to lengthen my face? Is lengthening possible through jaw surgery?

Rodin

Re: Lengthening face.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Yes. Chin will move down with anterior downgraft as mandible rotates clockwise, genioplasty will make face longer depending on angle of cut (and the existing mandibular angle). Get drawings or simulations showing the before and after to decide if you think your surgeon’s plan lengthens enough.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 04:12:56 PM »
I see it’s more common to want to shorten a long face but I wanna do the opposite. I’m getting a Downgraft soon due to lack of tooth show. Does this make the face longer? The surgeon says he will do about 6-7 mm down but that sounds like such a small amount to me. He is also going to do a genioplasty, can a genioplasty lengthen your face and by how much? Also what can I do to lengthen my face? Is lengthening possible through jaw surgery?

Yes to all of it.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

andyyyy37

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »
Yes. Chin will move down with anterior downgraft as mandible rotates clockwise, genioplasty will make face longer depending on angle of cut (and the existing mandibular angle). Get drawings or simulations showing the before and after to decide if you think your surgeon’s plan lengthens enough.

Gotcha thanks!

andyyyy37

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »
Yes to all of it.

Haha thank you, I think I’m just anxious cause 7 mm sounds like so little but I guess it makes a big difference in our face.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »
Haha thank you, I think I’m just anxious cause 7 mm sounds like so little but I guess it makes a big difference in our face.

See my signature.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »
7 mm sounds like so little

They moved my mandible 7mm forward and I look like somebody else.

andyyyy37

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
See my signature.

Haha. I didn’t even see that. Good to know! Thanks for all your advice and help! (:

andyyyy37

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »

They moved my mandible 7mm forward and I look like somebody else.

Haha really?! I didn’t know mm can make such a difference. Good to know thanks!

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »
As you might find out, it's actually not funny in real life. I thought it would be funny but the reality of friends, family, colleagues etc suddenly seeing you with a different face is very different - challenging to deal with mentally. I'm okay now but wish I was better prepared, in hindsight.

andyyyy37

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
As you might find out, it's actually not funny in real life. I thought it would be funny but the reality of friends, family, colleagues etc suddenly seeing you with a different face is very different - challenging to deal with mentally. I'm okay now but wish I was better prepared, in hindsight.

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean “haha” as in its funny I just usually put it in front of sentences out of habit to make it more lighthearted. Thank you for the advice! (:

andyyyy37

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
When you down graft the maxilla with a bone graft (let’s say like HA blocks) how does relapse happen before the bone even integrates? Does our body just like dissolve it? Where does it go? Or does it get like crushed? And even after the integration, wouldn’t it also still be there? Is it like really malleable or something? Is there any other way to lengthen the maxilla? Could I put like a silicone implant or something in the gap?

I just realized how many questions I asked LOL, sorry I’m just confused and new to this.