Author Topic: BIMAX or Chin Wing? My pre op choice is on the edge – I desperately need advice  (Read 5999 times)

Problemjaw123

- Inability to open their mouth fully (i.e. poor range of motion). Very common.
- Crunchy joints (very common)
- Losing teeth if roots are hit during surgery (not common but happens)
- Bad bite after surgery (fairly common). This can be an open bite, crossbite, etc. Edge to edge seems to be the most common post-op bite problem.
- Entire death of upper jaw - this can happen if doing a 3 piece (happened once).
- Actual death - we only saw this once, and it was on the other jaw forum, but he died due to an artery being hit during surgery.

These last two are rare, so don't freak out.

The list isn't comprehensive. I'd have to go through emails and look. But that's my answer off the top of my head.

Then there are the mental issues. I've seen many dozens of people who can't cope with the new face, feel their lost their ethnicity, etc. Sometimes there's truth to their concerns, sometimes there isn't.

Thanks a lot!

I think for the mental/expectation part I won't suffer from even if I dont get a perfect result, as you see from my picture my main problem is really the asymmetry, I dont have to many wishes to have a perfectly masculine jaw like a filmstar so even if lets say i get my jaw just the half closer to where it should be i would be so happy!

Okay wow yeah the death one hit me even if as said it happened only once. Was it a double jaw surgery/ bimax? And did it maybe happen in a medically speaking not very advanced country where they don't do xrays or do not have very good equipement as well as an anestheist working with the surgeon and things like that?

I have the appointment tomorrow afternoon (in 16 hours from now on) I don't want to bother you at all but if you'd like to and have a bit of time to go through some of your mails to tell me maybe other very bad damages that would be really great so I could ask the doctor about the chances of those and how he operates to prevent them from happening!

GJ

• Administrator
The death happened to a young guy in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Everything about it was erased from the internet, so you won't find much, but the guy is on YT the night before surgery talking about it. Pretty tough to watch.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Problemjaw123

The death happened to a young guy in the Pacific Northwest (USA). Everything about it was erased from the internet, so you won't find much, but the guy is on YT the night before surgery talking about it. Pretty tough to watch.

Okay wow that’s very tough. And they really erased everything even on that Forum? I mean I can totally understand to erase personal information about him for respect of him and his family but the case as such shouldn’t be erased from the internet and never talked again..

kavan

• Global Moderator

Some time back I posted a link in the educational section; 'Lots of complications with maxfax surgery'. The guy you are referring to was discussed on that link. https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,7749.0.html
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

LeFort 3000

Go Bimax. Chin Wing will not help your case sufficient. Believe me. You can go with brusco, hes a good dr.

Problemjaw123

Go Bimax. Chin Wing will not help your case sufficient. Believe me. You can go with brusco, hes a good dr.

Yes i consulted with him a second time and we will proceed with a bimax. I know his google reviews are very good but that could also be because of other surgeries. Do you consider him very good also with Bimax? Or why did you say he is good?

LeFort 3000

I dont like his bimax results from what ive seen. But his chin wing results are great. I had a good experience with him and I know others who did aswell.

Problemjaw123

I dont like his bimax results from what ive seen. But his chin wing results are great. I had a good experience with him and I know others who did aswell.

Thanks for your answer! Interesting, what exactly was it that you did not like about his bimax results?

Dutcherhatcher

• Private
- Inability to open their mouth fully (i.e. poor range of motion). Very common.
- Crunchy joints (very common)
- Losing teeth if roots are hit during surgery (not common but happens)
- Bad bite after surgery (fairly common). This can be an open bite, crossbite, etc. Edge to edge seems to be the most common post-op bite problem.
- Entire death of upper jaw - this can happen if doing a 3 piece (happened once).
- Actual death - we only saw this once, and it was on the other jaw forum, but he died due to an artery being hit during surgery.

These last two are rare, so don't freak out.

The list isn't comprehensive. I'd have to go through emails and look. But that's my answer off the top of my head.

Then there are the mental issues. I've seen many dozens of people who can't cope with the new face, feel their lost their ethnicity, etc. Sometimes there's truth to their concerns, sometimes there isn't.

Upper jaw death? What the f**king f**k

GJ

• Administrator
Upper jaw death? What the f**king f**k

If it loses blood supply, yes. Seen it once in almost ten years of running the site...

Dutcherhatcher

• Private
If it loses blood supply, yes. Seen it once in almost ten years of running the site...

How do you even live without upper jaw? Isnt that half the face? I can understand lower but still..

GJ

• Administrator
How do you even live without upper jaw? Isnt that half the face? I can understand lower but still..

I'm not sure, but I think they use prosthetics and such if this happens.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as a reality coming to fruition, but I would mentally prepare as a very low possible outcome.

LeFort 3000

Thanks for your answer! Interesting, what exactly was it that you did not like about his bimax results?
The results to me look underwhelming kinda underwhelming. I think he could do alot greater results but i think he stays on the very conservative side as a safety meassure or whatever. He is alot more aggressive and aesthetically orientated with his chin wings than his bimaxs imo (judging only the bimax cases on his insta, i dont know any "in office" cases)