Author Topic: Uneven upper jaw  (Read 3074 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Uneven upper jaw
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »
Just got home from another consultation with some interesting results. I'm still waiting on the moulds to come back, however the surgeon pointed out something very interesting - my upper jaw isn't even. Uneven in terms of being lower in the left side than the right. What this means then is that even if I bring the lower jaw forward and decompress the teeth, the teeth on the front right side still wouldn't be touching.

Is anyone aware of some solutions to this? I'm really wanting to avoid operating on the upper jaw, and I'd even be willing to accept a slight malocclusion if it came down to it.

Green lines illustrate what I'm talking about.

Here I'm trying to demonstrate the asymmetry of the upper jaw

And here is specifically the part of the bite that would remain open.

Please share your thoughts on this one  :'(
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

jusken

• Private
Re: Uneven upper jaw
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
Isn't this just an orthodontic problem mostly?

Let me see if I understand you.  Most of the asymmetry I see in people's faces is because of a sort of curve the runs vertically down their face.  Without some kind of extreme surgery, I don't know of a way you'd correct this - or even want to.  Here's Ryan Gosling:

In most cases, wouldn't an orthodontist just level out the occlusion of your teeth the best they can?  Then, when surgery happens your occlusion will just stay the same.  This seems to me like a planning thing over years of orthodontic treatment and then finally surgery.  But, Gosling does just fine with this problem.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »
Damn that Gosling man looks weird.

Here is an x-ray I have of my teeth where I'm biting down at the front on some plastic thing (emphasis added. My bite is not this open lol). I believe it's just to look at the wisdom teeth, though it may help to see the problem a bit better.

I agree with what you said though - I'd be better off trying to fix this as best I can with orthodontics and then sticking my original plan of BSSO/SG. A LeFort to fix this is too extreme, in my opinion.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
Another thing to add is that my lips are slightly uneven, my left eyebrow is slightly lower, and I also have some scleral show in that eye. It's like one side of my face is like one mm lower than the other, but only the soft tissue? idk?? I just don't know if any of this stuff is worth worrying about.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:01:41 PM by Weakjawbrah »