Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 3631 times)

sean89

What to do next?
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:23:35 PM by sean89 »

Modigliani

• Private
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
I agree, 3mm is not worth it.

May I ask which surgeon you consulted with?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
3mm is ridiculously small.  Did they say why they could only advance you so little given that you have a 6mm overjet??   A BSSO of 3mm is essentially pointless, get a genio instead if your chin bothers you

The 2nd ortho may well be right.  Orthos seem to be hit and miss - I saw 3 orthos and 2 dentists - all but one ortho told me to get surgery.  The one that didn't proposed an orthodontic plan that would have never worked, I guess she wanted the business for herself.  These are the kind of orthos whose opinions you cannot trust.  The fact that your ortho is reluctant to extract teeth makes me think that they are decent orthos whose opinions are worth listening too

Any idea of why you have such a large overjet when your back teeth are OK?  What is the orthodontic plan for improving the overjet if you don't have surgery?  It is very rare, I think, to have a class 1 molar relationship and yet have a 6mm overjet?

Which country are you in?  If you're in UK, try and consult Paul Johnson?  A number of European surgeons also to virtual consults

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
I can't see that much from that picture but I can make out
a) lip incompetency
b) proclined upper and very proclined lower incisors 
c) possibly a steep occlusional plane?

You definitely need something done but from that picture it's hard to say if you would benefit from surgery or just need good orthodontics.
Putting the lower incisors in a more upright position would give you a lot more room for advancement but if your molars are class 1, then you're in a difficult position

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »

The orthodontist that I saw today was a man called Mr. Qureshi, he seemed a very nice guy and I would recommend you see him if you haven't already done so. Coincidentally, he does the preparatory work for Paul Johnson.

He must have two orthos then cos the guy I saw was called Nigel Taylor and locate in Guildford, where PJ practises at the Nuffield

He proposed that I have braces on both arches, but with the main work being done on pushing the lower arch forward with a wire permanently placed at the back of my teeth to keep them pushed forward. I was quoted ?3500 for this.

Not a bad price but I'm not convinced this is a good plan.  I had this done myself and I have gum recession because of it because it pushed the teeth right to the front of the bone/gum.  It depends on your current root position.   Is it too far back, is that why your lower teeth are proclined outwards?

Can't really advise without clearer pics

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »
don't even think of it.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »
Hey Sean, do you have a link for Qureshi, I'm in Manchester so he could be a good fit for me.

Edit: is it this guy?
http://www.gentle-dentists.co.uk/about-carisbrook/dentists/usman-qureshi/

sean89

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
Yeah, that's the guy.

I suppose what I admired was the fact that he said himself that he enjoyed doing the work for jaw surgeries but in this case it was clearly clinically inappropriate.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:38:14 AM »
An ethical ortho, who'd have thunk it!  :o

Thanks so much for this, need to find an ortho in the UK, no point in keeping back going over to Belgium now.

Anyone know where I stand financially changing orthos, paid the original one in full - would I be able to get a refund or a partial refund I wonder?

I'll start a new thread, don't want to hijack yours  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:59:07 AM by Modigliani »