Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82256 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
I've had the same feedback about HA for the jaw, waste of time basically.

Anyone familiar with peek implants? There's a fair chance I'm spelling it wrong btw  ;D

I appreciate that a lot on here parrot that, but every study (that I've read to date) on HA paste disproves this.

Where is the evidence?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:29:04 PM by Weakjawbrah »
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »
Interesting response I received from a surgeon on the need for a hip graft to reduce sublabial fold.

Hip graft: I share the opinion of Prof. X that there is no hip graft needed. Why: bone transplantations (bone grafts) are principally a good idea when it comes to further stabilizing osteotomized bones. We do so in downgrafting a maxilla. But the bone cut in chin wing osteotomy offers a perfect surface for a good bony healing and a bone graft is prone to infection. What about the sublabial fold: the soft tissue layer is thick enough that this will not happen. When we fear a palpable step we use hydroxyappatite cement to fill up the gap.
Lower lip: no, it will not be smaller after ching wing osteotomy. Your idea is right in theory but from studies we know that this will not happen.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
What about the sublabial fold: the soft tissue layer is thick enough that this will not happen. When we fear a palpable step we use hydroxyappatite cement to fill up the gap.

This is kindof contradictory.  In some patients (depending on bite and current bone structure) there will be a significant increase sublabial fold.  Hence why some people will need HA to fill it; in fact I think most people would benefit.

I've got an implant with wings which at the front, is not a totally dissimilar result (at the front at least) to a chin wing.  My sublabial fold is pretty bad.  I need filler but my doc said that radiesse might show under the skin so I left it.

MrRochester

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
This is kindof contradictory.  In some patients (depending on bite and current bone structure) there will be a significant increase sublabial fold.  Hence why some people will need HA to fill it; in fact I think most people would benefit.

I've got an implant with wings which at the front, is not a totally dissimilar result (at the front at least) to a chin wing.  My sublabial fold is pretty bad.  I need filler but my doc said that radiesse might show under the skin so I left it.

At first I thought it was contradictory too, but I think he meant that for me personally, I will not suffer from a deeply increased sublabial fold since based on my x-rays and pictures, the soft tissue is thick enough. These are my x-rays and face http://imgur.com/a/b2zmH

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
Hope so, but I had more soft tissue than you and I got a significant increase.  However I already had quite a lot of fold prior to the implant

My ceph  (featuring my super short ramus) -

You can see the implant there on the bottom of the chin.  I think I actually had more soft tissue than you at the chin point.

But anyway, I think a chin wing will give you a great result! You've got a nice flat occlusional plane and your lips are well lined up

tyler18

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
The pyramide PDF links all went down. Can someone please reupload a copy? Especially this one: http://www.pyramide.ch/Docs/file/a_triaca@pyramide_ch.pdf

Thank you!

Zarrinbal has shown me some results of Chin Wing osteotomy.

This is a powerful procedure and can transform your lower third extremely. There was a guy whose aesthetics were vastly improved. There was a women who did that combined with Bimax and she completely transformed herself from a plain 4.5-5/10 to a legit hottie.

kizarq, would you happen to have those before/afters? I wanted to get a sliding genioplasty, but I might change my mind.

BlueShark7

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:14 AM »
does anyone know how the recovery for a chin wing would compare to say a BSSO? Food wise and feeling awful wise?

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »
Was told I wouldn't need to stay in hospital and nobody would known I even had surgery when i went back to work. So I assume really quick.

BlueShark7

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Was told I wouldn't need to stay in hospital and nobody would known I even had surgery when i went back to work. So I assume really quick.
Thanks Dan! That's super good to know. Are you going ahead with it?

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
I think I have a bigger issue (airway) that I wouldn't want to mask with this procedure. Cosmetically, I think for many people it can provide a great improvement to their appearance. How about you?

BlueShark7

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
I think I have a bigger issue (airway) that I wouldn't want to mask with this procedure. Cosmetically, I think for many people it can provide a great improvement to their appearance. How about you?

Airway is my only functional problem, but being female Has helped that not translate into major sleep apnea. Surgery is off the cards because functional issues are minor and my bite is good. I'm seriously considering chin wing but I'm a long way from Switzerland.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »
Airway is my only functional problem, but being female Has helped that not translate into major sleep apnea. Surgery is off the cards because functional issues are minor and my bite is good. I'm seriously considering chin wing but I'm a long way from Switzerland.

cost is a huge factor too. Doesn't help that the Swiss Franc is strong right now.

Do you have a ceph?

BlueShark7

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
cost is a huge factor too. Doesn't help that the Swiss Franc is strong right now.

Do you have a ceph?

I think all up including flights etc its cheaper or on par with bimax so I'm ok with that considering its probably a better option all round for me. I'm probably going to wait a year or so and make aure its what i really want. I don't have a copy of my ceph sorry

BlueShark7

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2014, 03:29:01 AM »
Is the chin wing generally considered a safe procedure? In terms of blood supply to the osteotomized segment and healing etc?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2014, 04:54:21 AM »
Is the chin wing generally considered a safe procedure? In terms of blood supply to the osteotomized segment and healing etc?

I would say so.

My main concern is how all this stuff actually heals. Whether it'll have a natural feel to the touch, or if it'll be an odd step-off.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.