Author Topic: modified lefort 3  (Read 49146 times)

earl25

Re: modified lefort 3
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
i might back out and go for implanta with dr. y. i have been talking to another doc who does lefort 3.hez kin of scaring me. so far hez given me the most specific details of any doc pro or con has given before. he says ths main risk of blindness comes from the  pterygomaxillary dysjunction.  the optic nerve runs throigh it so if it gets fractured your finished. he also said blindness with lefort 1 have ths same risk. he said blindness is more common with lefort 1 since thats a more common procedure.
i dont know what to do. implants wont give thd same augmentation the lefort 3 will. i mean the 4 examples ive seen on non syndrome patients is better than any implant work i ever saw. but i mean if you go blind then ur lifes over

earl25

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
all i know is i cant livs lik this. you will never know what it feels lik to b stared and told you look different

LoveofScotch

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
I'm so sorry, it really sounds like you are in a tough spot. I would probably just go with implants, but I have an impossibly low risk tolerance, so I may not be the best person to ask. Do you think it would also be a good idea to consult with Keller? I'm not sure if he would have anything special to offer; it's just another thought.

I truly wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do. I hope you have a nice night, earl25.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »
all i know is i cant livs lik this. you will never know what it feels lik to b stared and told you look different

I know it all too well unfortunately. I completely understand your "do or die" mentality because that's how I feel as well.

earl25

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »
im not scarsx of dying. im scared of going blind

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »
every doc i consulted with, keller, schendel etc. said blindness was NOT an issue and Keller does 15 of these a year. I dunno, I think you're in uncharted territory but I like Sinn's very comprehensive approach, I say go for it.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
I could be wrong but common sense tells me that the risk of permanent numbness in most of your face is very high with a lefort 3 like this.  Also the fact that not many surgeons do this very often would scare me regarding necessary experience level for this to go well. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
i might back out and go for implanta with dr. y. i have been talking to another doc who does lefort 3.hez kin of scaring me. so far hez given me the most specific details of any doc pro or con has given before. he says ths main risk of blindness comes from the  pterygomaxillary dysjunction.  the optic nerve runs throigh it so if it gets fractured your finished. he also said blindness with lefort 1 have ths same risk. he said blindness is more common with lefort 1 since thats a more common procedure.
If that's the case, then go with LeFort III.  Le Fort I looks bloody terrible on youtube, yet it's considered to produce fewer complications than BSSO.  And I think you've already had a BSSO.

i dont know what to do. implants wont give thd same augmentation the lefort 3 will. i mean the 4 examples ive seen on non syndrome patients is better than any implant work i ever saw. but i mean if you go blind then ur lifes over
IMHO, nothing beats your own bone.  Do you have links to those cases?  BTW, how narrow is your face?  How serious was Heggie about a LeFort III for you?  Did he mention that it will make your face wider?

earl25

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 04:08:28 AM »
I know it all too well unfortunately. I completely understand your "do or die" mentality because that's how I feel as well.

it one thing to be a normal ugly person.thatz livable. but to be strange or odd looking is unbearable. freaking little kids and mentally disabled ppl have told me i look weird

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »
it one thing to be a normal ugly person.thatz livable. but to be strange or odd looking is unbearable. freaking little kids and mentally disabled ppl have told me i look weird

dude i dunno just trust one doc. if one doc like sinn or schendel (of their caliber) tell you they can get you through this with good aesthetic results and without numbness and O blindness, then go for it, at least you'll know then. i've never found implants to be much of a solution for anything. yes it's a risk, but the payoff is big too.

earl25

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:19 AM »
dude i dunno just trust one doc. if one doc like sinn or schendel (of their caliber) tell you they can get you through this with good aesthetic results and without numbness and O blindness, then go for it, at least you'll know then. i've never found implants to be much of a solution for anything. yes it's a risk, but the payoff is big too.

implants will improve it, just not to the level that ive seen of th leforts, going blind means your life is over

earl25

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »

ths problem is this surgery is so rare you dont know whos right.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
every doc i consulted with, keller, schendel etc. said blindness was NOT an issue and Keller does 15 of these a year. I dunno, I think you're in uncharted territory but I like Sinn's very comprehensive approach, I say go for it.

Where is Keller located? 

LoveofScotch

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
Keller is at Mayo in Rochester, Mn.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
ths problem is this surgery is so rare you dont know whos right.
Granted, I've never seen your picture, but if multiple top surgeons are willing to do this surgery for you, that means your situation is serious enough to warrant the operation.  And like you said before, implants are just camouflage. 

The next question is, what kind of prices are they asking, and how much more expensive is it compared with what they charge for run-of-the-mill orthognathic surgery.