Author Topic: How long is HA paste moldable?  (Read 10168 times)

newchin

How long is HA paste moldable?
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
I had ha paste augmentation and wondering how long it is malleable?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:49:59 PM by newchin »

Gregor Samsa

Re: How long is HA paste moldable?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
It seems to depend on the technique used. Arnett and Gunson say they can mold it for weeks afterward while Mommaerts said it was only moldable during the surgery. Who was your surgeon?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
I believe Arnett/Gunson can mold it for up to 6 weeks after surgery. I don't know about others.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Try not to worry too much just yet 3 weeks is really too early to tell, it's very common to have asymmetric swelling so that might be throwing things off.

Tell your family and friends to shut the f**k up  ;)

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
It seems to depend on the technique used. Arnett and Gunson say they can mold it for weeks afterward while Mommaerts said it was only moldable during the surgery. Who was your surgeon?

3 guesses...

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
Unless your surgery was performed by a certain Belgian surgeon then I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove HA but I can't imagine that it's easy.

earl25

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
Unless your surgery was performed by a certain Belgian surgeon then I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove HA but I can't imagine that it's easy.

its very hard

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
its very hard

Which surgeon said that? Many don't have a lot of experience with HA.

earl25

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
Which surgeon said that? Many don't have a lot of experience with HA.

several cranio and maxilla doctors. the problem is its  brittle

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »

Do you think it's fully hardened at 3 weeks?

earl25

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
i remeber dr byrd telling me its moldable for 2-3 week but every day will be hardsr

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »

Exactly.  It will be more brittle than bone.  Bone contains collagen and several other proteins that give it tensile flexibility and 'spring' as well as a bunch of trace elements.  The crystal structure is quite interesting - it's basically a co-crystal of nano-crystals of HA and rows collagen fibrils. (Enamel is a little different in that in contains less protein and more fluorine has larger, more organised HA crystals - making it stronger, but more brittle)

As far as I know they mix the HA with organic products like blood plasma and collagen.   Also I think they they use HA nanocrystals, rather than growing them with the collagen from the liquid phase  Over time some of the organic elements will dissolve somewhat so I am sure that HA paste will contain less collagen than regular bone and the crystal structure will not be nearly the same.  It's not called 'bone cement' for nothing....it is a very crude approximation of bone (although there is are some interesting in vitro studies that have been done on the nucleation of HA crystals and how it's directed by proteins etc)

Anyway, I digress - how long it's mouldable for will depend how its mixed although I'm surprised that A&G can mould it for as long as they claim - I'm guess they're using more organic product in their mix.  I think the only way to remove it would be to file it off  :-\

If it's a small asymmetry you can a probably disguise it somewhat with some of the more dense hylauronic acid fillers as a short-term measure.  In the longer term, if it's bad then try and push your surgeon to add more to the smaller side

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
You seem to know a lot about HA Tiny. I'm assuming I'm basically screwed if I want it removed then?

earl25

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
You seem to know a lot about HA Tiny. I'm assuming I'm basically screwed if I want it removed then?

guyuron might be able to remov it

pekay

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
you know that by mold is means literally just that. you are told to close your eyes while the surgeon presses his fingers/squeezes your face and attempts to shape the HA paste into an "attractive shape"
Chopsticks > Spoons