Author Topic: Protruding Maxilla? (Photos)  (Read 7703 times)

razorg

Protruding Maxilla? (Photos)
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:01:25 AM »
I'm not sure what this problem I have is called but from the research I've done, I feel that protruding maxilla is along the lines of how it looks. I've had braces before along with a palatal expander, I was told I needed extractions when I had my braces but refused them in fear of damaging my profile.

I definitely regret that decision now because I feel that my upper mouth protrudes beyond my cheeks and is very un-flattering It is only visible in certain lighting so I will provide pictures to further visualize my problem. From what I've read on here, there are some very knowledgeable people and I would love to get an opinion on how to correct this problem of mine.

Side Note: In the last attachment, you'll notice that if I push/stretch the lip down, the problem disappears and my face looks even.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Protruding Maxilla? (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
I'd be more inclined to say that while your upper jaw may protrude somewhat this really only appears as a problem due to your flat cheeks and weak chin. If those were stronger it would balance out.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:09:45 AM »
I really don't see the problem.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »

Bazarov

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
I'd be more inclined to say that while your upper jaw may protrude somewhat this really only appears as a problem due to your flat cheeks and weak chin. If those were stronger it would balance out.

This. A protruding maxilla with the facial projection to match is quite an attractive, model-esque trait, IMO.

razorg

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

Well that's depressing. :\ I was hoping premolar extractions along with braces would fix this problem, but it appears I'd have to get fillers or cheeks implants?

I know fuller cheeks could help but you don't believe extractions could help as well?

razorg

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
I really don't see the problem.

It's a lot easier to point out in person than in pictures but I promise you its there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:44:55 PM by razorg »

notrain

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
It's a lot easier to point out in person than in pictures but I promise you its there.

I see what you mean, but this is not a defect or anything you need to get treatment for (certainly not extract two healthy teeth for, be glad you declined extractions).

You simply have a prognathic maxilla but no protruding cheeks. That's just a coincidence but not disfiguring. Yes, you don't look like a model - boo hoo.

razorg

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
I see what you mean, but this is not a defect or anything you need to get treatment for (certainly not extract two healthy teeth for, be glad you declined extractions).

You simply have a prognathic maxilla but no protruding cheeks. That's just a coincidence but not disfiguring. Yes, you don't look like a model - boo hoo.

Interesting.. is there anything I can do to correct this though? because in the right lighting, my facial profile actually looks nice. for instance:

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
Burning the cap should be priority.

razorg

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
Burning the cap should be priority.

Maybe.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
You look fine. Don't pull healthy teeth! I think it's really cool that you went with a palatal expander, and were able to keep some teeth.

Assuming your bite is good, you made a really good decision!

razorg

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this will help but I found an x-ray of my mouth during braces.

razorg

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »
You look fine. Don't pull healthy teeth! I think it's really cool that you went with a palatal expander, and were able to keep some teeth.

Assuming your bite is good, you made a really good decision!

well, I actually still have the overbite, the palatal expander was needed as my jaw was very narrow. Most people say not to worry about this but it is something that drives me crazy! I need it fixed for me.. =\

razorg

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
This. A protruding maxilla with the facial projection to match is quite an attractive, model-esque trait, IMO.

it really depends honestly. and there are many attractive people with flat cheeks. But having flat cheeks with a protruding maxilla can look weird in certain lighting