Author Topic: Would you be happy with my result? PICTURES  (Read 18334 times)

treevernal

• Private
Re: Would you be happy with my result? PICTURES
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
Has it changed the pleasure you take in kissing?

I wouldn't say so, no.  But then again, I didnt do much kissing before surgery...I was more shy and awkward lol.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
I wouldn't say so, no.  But then again, I didnt do much kissing before surgery...I was more shy and awkward lol.

awww that's cute!

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »

jusken

• Private
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
The purple pic is me. I'd be curious to see you do that on that pic and see if my asymmetry does begin further up the face. It's becoming a little too difficult for me to analyze my own pics objectively.

I had double jaw surgery and was under the impression they could angle the cut and realign the maxilla and the mandible to level out. Are you saying the eyes aren't level? I'm pretty sure my eyes are fairly straight across. The asymmetry seems to begin near the base of my nose.

I was told postop that getting my CHIN on center was not going to be possible without an implant, but that I shouldn't still have a visible cant in my bite.

I see your pic, but it isn't really possibly to do a meaningful analysis on it.  It would need to be straight on and further away. 

Lazlo: I'm pretty sure the lower lip always has some sort of residual numbness/stiffness - I have heard way too many accounts of it.  It isn't the actual lip, it's the area where they make the incision inside the mouth and mostly affects the larger lower lip movements.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
FWIW, seeing posts like these make me nervous but also likely more tolerant to such problems down the line. There's really not much you can do, right? So you're preparing people for the realities of this surgery and thank you for that.

But we're touching on a new point worth mentioning. Less work is better. Everything a surgeon does has real risks so you want him to be conservative. Ideally, you have a guy who has enough experience to understand how to balance the two since you don't want more surgeries either. I'm likely opting out of genioplasty, for example, because opinions vary on whether it's good aesthetically and I'm accustomed to it already but it's associated with numbness in the region.

Local guys tend to excel here because they don't have a lot of confidence in this area. Another advantage to them is they don't need to wing their surgeries either, they can actually practice models in advance. They can react more quickly to problems. The flip side is they know less so can't handle complex cases well. My opinion is to keep routine cases local and send only complex ones to experts. It's the same philosophy with all medical care really.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
AFAIK, there is a markedly higher chance of persistent lower lip numbness when a BSSO is combined with a genioplasty.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:27 PM »
Lazlo: I'm pretty sure the lower lip always has some sort of residual numbness/stiffness - I have heard way too many accounts of it.  It isn't the actual lip, it's the area where they make the incision inside the mouth and mostly affects the larger lower lip movements.
FWIW, my upper lip is pretty stiff and gets tired quickly from smiling and talking.  My surgeon said it's the scar tissue and it takes a while to dissipate.