Author Topic: Would you be happy with my result? PICTURES  (Read 18432 times)

jusken

• Private
Re: Would you be happy with my result? PICTURES
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »
Sorry if I've missed something, I haven't read every post on this thread.

I have asymmetry about as bad as you and have had jaw surgery.  It didn't really get better.  But, analyzing the problem, doesn't it start further up on your face?

Doesn't the asymmetry start too high up for a BSSO to address this problem? Just looking at the angles (it's the same on me), wouldn't they have to realign the entire mandible to truly fix the asymmetry?

Maybe I'm way off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:51:42 PM by jusken »

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
That's not her. ;D

jusken

• Private
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
Ah my bad, well if it looks similar then my point still stands :)

jawbreakerbeach

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
Sorry if I've missed something, I haven't read every post on this thread.

I have asymmetry about as bad as you and have had jaw surgery.  It didn't really get better.  But, analyzing the problem, doesn't it start further up on your face?

Doesn't the asymmetry start too high up for a BSSO to address this problem? Just looking at the angles (it's the same on me), wouldn't they have to realign the entire mandible to truly fix the asymmetry?

Maybe I'm way off.

The purple pic is me. I'd be curious to see you do that on that pic and see if my asymmetry does begin further up the face. It's becoming a little too difficult for me to analyze my own pics objectively.

I had double jaw surgery and was under the impression they could angle the cut and realign the maxilla and the mandible to level out. Are you saying the eyes aren't level? I'm pretty sure my eyes are fairly straight across. The asymmetry seems to begin near the base of my nose.

I was told postop that getting my CHIN on center was not going to be possible without an implant, but that I shouldn't still have a visible cant in my bite.

jawbreakerbeach

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
They can do a lot with cosmetic dentistry to hide uneven bite/teeth issues.  You could look into gum contouring/tooth bonding/equilibration to mask some of the bite issues. 

I'm not certain you're drawing the vertical line correctly; it doesn't seem to fall center between the lower teeth...if it did you'd prob see less of a discrepancy.  Also, teeth themselves can be variable in size and shape which is also modifiable via cosmetic dentistry.

I went with Arnett and my result is not perfect and I too have some asymmetry issues.  I also lost 2 teeth and will need to get root canals.  Also, my tmjs are in terrible shape after having gone through surgery...but overall it was a win as my airway expanded by 4x and my face is much more balanced esp in profile.  Basically, I suggest you not get the surgery redone.  Besides more numbness you could lose viability in a few teeth, suffer tmj breakdown plus the downside of putting your body through general anesthesia and surgery again.  I know this is a really personal decision but I do strongly believe you can mask many of those dental issues with cosmetic dentistry.

Thanks for your input.

I drew the line between my midlines on the upper midline only. The teeth on the upper jaw are at more of an angle than the lower jaw. The upper and lower midlines aren't entirely lined up with each other (though they're both not centered with the skull line).

Did your OS mention the possibility of your condyles(?) not being seated properly during surgery?

Mine said it's possible when everything softens up under anesthesia that things get unseated during the cutting. And I guess it's not entirely preventable..or fixable if it unseats midway through surgery?

(TBH I don't really understand what all this joint seating talk is, I can't visualize it, but I guess it makes things uneven).

About the cosmetic dentistry, did you just go to a dentist then and not an ortho? I have seen on the Archwired board that some orthos do TADs and can actually shift the whole arch over a few millimeters which would fix the midline issue and then some cosmetic dentistry could mask the slant I guess.

I just don't want to do a ton of bonding, veneers, shaving because my teeth are actually in really good shape. I'd rather anchor everything and pull it over and have a little 3mm empty spot in the back of my mouth on one side, but maybe that's a stupid thing to do.

I'm really sorry to hear about you losing teeth in the process  :(( And the TMJ.

I think my joints survived but I did have terrible earache type pain for a good 3 months after.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:27:20 PM by jawbreakerbeach »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
I man treeneval went with on of the best surgeons in the world too and admits a bunch of problems. So you can see this surgery is inherently risky. If you don't have bite issues I'd leave it alone frankly.

Treeneval, do you have numbness too?

jawbreakerbeach

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »
I man treeneval went with on of the best surgeons in the world too and admits a bunch of problems. So you can see this surgery is inherently risky. If you don't have bite issues I'd leave it alone frankly.

Treeneval, do you have numbness too?

Laz you're still preop right? Do you know who you're going with / what you're having done?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 12:38:22 AM »
Laz you're still preop right? Do you know who you're going with / what you're having done?

Oh man, I'm so confused. So like there's Dr. S. I've ruled him out cause his partner is a f**king rat and he's sloppy it seems. Then I consulted with Arnett who was incredibly thorough, but sort of rubbed me the wrong way a bit, he kind of dismissed some of my aesthetic concerns as being "well the surgery is unpredictable if you're nitpicking about these types of things I don't think you'd be a good candidate for me" type of line --which perhaps he was being incredibly honest. I need a bi-max at the very least (advancement i'm class II). Then I've consulted with Keller at Mayo who I'm not going with but he offered me a modified lefort II which could advance the under eye area too (both the zygoma and the orbital rim). But for various reasons I don't want surgeery with him and have ruled him out. So now I'm really only left with Sinn, whom Earl had a "good" experience overall with, but it also feels like a bit of a default decision. I want jaw and cheekbone advancement and that makes my options very narrow. Yeah so that's my stance right now. Oh, I also consulted online with Mommaerts who offered a bunch of stuff and said he could do everything, but whose results I have not seen really and whom everyone here has had a really bad experience with!

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Thanks.  I do have some minor issues but really, I'm very happy I had this done; the improvement to my looks helped my confidence so much and now I won't have sleep apnea like my dad does :/  The root canals don't bother me too much but my tmj issues do.  I am still on medications to help stabilize my joints that I want to come off of (I hate being on any medication; I'm weird like that) so I'm just kindof waiting for them to get better.  I have clenched my whole life and I've sortof had to learn not to do that anymore for the sake of my bite stability.  It's not easy to unlearn that kind of muscle memory but I've gotten better. 

I don't blame you for not wanting to put decent teeth through more trauma.  I personally do not want to get veneers because they shave down decent teeth to put them on (blech!).  But gum contouring and whitening I will probably do in a few more years.  I'm still paying off this "Ferrari-jaw" as you phrased it, lol!

Numbness wise, just my chin and lower lip.  It can be annoying but it doesn't bother me that much. 

Lazlo, good luck doing whatever you decide.  I know you've been at this for a while. 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
Thanks.  I do have some minor issues but really, I'm very happy I had this done; the improvement to my looks helped my confidence so much and now I won't have sleep apnea like my dad does :/  The root canals don't bother me too much but my tmj issues do.  I am still on medications to help stabilize my joints that I want to come off of (I hate being on any medication; I'm weird like that) so I'm just kindof waiting for them to get better.  I have clenched my whole life and I've sortof had to learn not to do that anymore for the sake of my bite stability.  It's not easy to unlearn that kind of muscle memory but I've gotten better. 

I don't blame you for not wanting to put decent teeth through more trauma.  I personally do not want to get veneers because they shave down decent teeth to put them on (blech!).  But gum contouring and whitening I will probably do in a few more years.  I'm still paying off this "Ferrari-jaw" as you phrased it, lol!

Numbness wise, just my chin and lower lip.  It can be annoying but it doesn't bother me that much. 

Lazlo, good luck doing whatever you decide.  I know you've been at this for a while.

Damn treeneval, so entire lower lip and chin has no feeling!? I mean Arnett told me that maybe 3 patients from his entire practice have ever had lasting numbness. What's the deal with that? Is he just a liar?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
It's not completely numb, just tingly and kinda strange still.  I don't expect it to get much better as it's been almost 2 years since surgery though.  From what I understand, the lower lip/chin lack of full feeling seems to be pretty standard.  Most people I've talked to had the same issue.  I accepted it as a strong possibility going in.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
It's not completely numb, just tingly and kinda strange still.  I don't expect it to get much better as it's been almost 2 years since surgery though.  From what I understand, the lower lip/chin lack of full feeling seems to be pretty standard.  Most people I've talked to had the same issue.  I accepted it as a strong possibility going in.

Has it changed the pleasure you take in kissing?

ForeverDet

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »
Has it changed the pleasure you take in kissing?

I have the same partial numbness on my lower lip and chin but If I can also answer the question, it hasn't had any negative effect on enjoying kissing :). Now if my upper lip was also partially numb, that would s**tty.

To the OP, I believe we had the same surgeon and if you look at my thread in the overbite forum, I have the same asymmetry post-surgery. PM if you like.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
I have the same partial numbness on my lower lip and chin but If I can also answer the question, it hasn't had any negative effect on enjoying kissing :). Now if my upper lip was also partially numb, that would s**tty.

To the OP, I believe we had the same surgeon and if you look at my thread in the overbite forum, I have the same asymmetry post-surgery. PM if you like.

Thanks for the response. Jesus Christ this numbness issue is disturbing me but it sounds like it's the norm. Why do these surgeons say "15 percent" chance or "20 percent chance" is that like a global statistic and all their patients are part of the bloody 20 percent?

jawbreakerbeach

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2014, 06:27:14 AM »
I think they mean 100% numbness as in like it feels when you get straight out of surgery.

If I'm going to be really technical about it I would probably say I'm 90% numb with no tingling which is worse than most.

In my view even something like 50% numb is still NUMB but I don't think that's how surgeons report the stats. Anyone who can kinda feel or still has tingles is shoved into the "not numb" or "slightly altered sensation" category.

Also so many people say "yeah I'm still kinda numb so but it doesn't bother me". But that's all subjective perception...so you get this idea that most people come out with full feeling or close to it when really they're only half there and just learned to ignore it.