Author Topic: Changing the mandibular/occlusal plane angle  (Read 1808 times)

Xaelthior

Changing the mandibular/occlusal plane angle
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »
How much of a change in angle is achievable and how?

My chin is a lot lower than where my ramus connects to the mandible, ie the mandibular angle is very high, which leads to my chin angle which is pointing downwards, along with a recessed mandible, I feel this combo is very unaesthetic.

I know this can be changed via counter clockwise rotation via maxillary impaction. Are there other ways to achieve this?

How much can the angle be flattened?   Also do surgeons take into account the vertical position of ghe ramus when doing jaw surgery? I notice some rami are directly vertical, others slightly point forward, whereas mine points backwards due to my recessed maxilla (I guess)

falcao

Re: Changing the mandibular/occlusal plane angle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
The chin wing osteotomy might be much more effective in that sense. The angle can be changed very dramatically from what I've seen and this can change the way you look very significantly. You will not find much information or pictures online though. It's a technically demanding procedures that very few surgeons practice, mostly in Europe.

Not everyone is a candidate for maxillary impaction for obvious reasons (limitations coming from the existing occlusion). But most people are a candidate for a chin wing.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
I think it depends on a case by case basis. I'll have a normal/ideal angle after my surgery but I'm also getting a relatively large advancement.

Xaelthior

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
How does the magnitude of advancement effect the change in jaw angle?
Thought only impaction affects this

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
The larger the advancement, the greater area you have to smooth out the change in angle. It's probably not a disaster to do it over a shorter distance, just more noticeable. Also, your surgeon may need to do extra work before the jaw to keep it from sticking out there I would think.

Vic

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 02:07:57 AM »
The larger the advancement, the greater area you have to smooth out the change in angle. It's probably not a disaster to do it over a shorter distance, just more noticeable. Also, your surgeon may need to do extra work before the jaw to keep it from sticking out there I would think.

Hi Molestrip, when are you getting your chin wing? and with who?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
I'm going to be getting double jaw surgery only. I don't know when yet. My surgeon is still skeptical about my sleep apnea and I have a test to run.