Author Topic: Chin implant vs Genioplasty  (Read 1209 times)

Keoro

Chin implant vs Genioplasty
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
I know the difference between the two but it seems to be a Chin Implant is more recommended than a genioplasty?. Does that have to the with the customization of the implant to suit the patient as aesthetically as possible or just the lower cost/ less experience needed to perform one by many doctors?

Last question: Would a chin implant be at risk of shifting through impact sports / Wrestling, MMA?

needadvancement

Re: Chin implant vs Genioplasty
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »
Answer to your last question is a vehement yes. I've looked into people's experiences, doctors stated that people have had to get implants removed because it shifted or the screws came loose because of contact sports. A Genio seems to be the superior option to me, but there are still many things to consider there as well.

yxcvb

Re: Chin implant vs Genioplasty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
Genio is probably the better choice. I was at one point thinking about chin implants as well, but I went with the genio (see my thread). The thing is that with genio, you do get extra "bone". Its not artificial, and its forever. Personally I dont like the idea of having something artificial in me like an implant for years or decades, especially since it can cause problems like bone erosion. Many ends up with genio after they have to take out their implants because of bone erosion. I didnt really want that, in fact it'd make me anxious just to have an implant while knowing about bone erosion (probably most patients didnt know about it, only after it became a problem)

Also implants can result in very unconvincing results even with the best surgeon, while with genio its much rarer. Not to mention the better possibilities to enlarge in all directions.

I think certain surgeons might push you toward implants generally because its a much easier procedure with very little recovery time and there is less risk for complications. But most "serious" maxfac surgeons will say genio, surgeons who run a plastic surgery business say implants.