Author Topic: Update on my Corticotomy aka Wilckodontics  (Read 20613 times)

needadvancement

Update on my Corticotomy aka Wilckodontics
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
Had a few more consults and preperations, braces will be placed first and then surgery will be in a couple of weeks. I'm learning more and seeing more results and gotta say I'm impressed. Here are some results on adults:

Almost everything I want is in this treatment:
-fixing my bimax pro and overbite without extractions. This is still 'camouflage' on my recessed mandible, but my airways are good and no TMJ so I think I'll be fine in the long run.
-the new bone growth fills in the dented parts of my jaw, so likely no more deep mentolabial fold and a better looking mouth all around.
-A wider smile. They can broaden both arches from incisors up to the first and second premolars. I asked and they can't change the molars in the back but it's ok.
-Only about half a year in braces and more stable results because of the new fused bone growth.

This is pretty much jaw surgery though. They advised me to take a week off from work when I have the surgery. I'm prepared for the worst, I'm expecting lots of swelling and liquid diet for a while. But I think this will all be worth it. A genioplasty for chin height is still in the back of my mind but I'm starting to chicken out of that..
What do you think about filling up the mentolabial fold and achieving lip competence? Aside from jaw surgeries I can only find people getting filler and I think it's a nice improvement.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:42:51 PM by needadvancement »

sean89

Re: Update on my PAOO aka Wilckodontics
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the information, I'll reply properly later when I have more time, but I'm glad you've brought some new knowledge to the board.

Is there any reason why molars can't be 'corticotomised/accelerated?

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
^I don't know, he didn't specify. I'm pretty sure that I did read one person's experiences online who said he did get arches widened, though it was like a lesser SARPE. He went through weeks of hell though. Maybe it's too invasive messing with the molars?

Anyway, here's a good page which covers all of the basics about this treatment:
http://www.archwired.com/AOO1.htm

I've been getting the pre-surgery jitters. Seeing testimonials, some report a lot of pain and brutal recovery period. Others say it's no worse than wisdom teeth removal. I gotta keep my mind right going into this..

terry947

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
awesome! thanks for the update!

Does this procedure also work on the lower jaw? From the pics its looks like all they did was straighten the teeth. Do they also add new bone on the teeth in the mandible?

needadvancement

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
^Yes, they place artificial bone into the gums, 'weaken the bone' in a way which will make the jaw grow more of its own bone. This of cource is what will affect the lips and mouth since the teeth and bone/gums give support to the lips. I don't know how significant the change can be, but my ortho assures me that my lower lip will be brought forward and my deep mentolabial fold will be gone afterwards. My jaw surgeon took a look at me and told him "Yes this is probably the best option, otherwise he will get that sunk-in appearance(reffering to extractions)". I liked his statement a lot :D

terry947

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
amazing! when will you be starting? also the thing I don't understand is that with bimax protrusion the teeth are tipped forwards. So I guess this wikodontics they'll but tipped upright, still in a forwards position? Or are they still kind of moved backwards?

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 05:23:32 AM »
^Hopefully in two weeks, I gotta wait for my health care service to see if they will cover any costs and stuff. Plus I'll need the braces in before surgery.

Good question. I think it's gonna be a bit of both but they're not gonna pull the teeth into my mouth much I don't think. I think it's better because otherwise the wrinkles around my nose and mouth(nasolabial folds) could get worse.

sean89

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:39:35 AM »
How far forward can they bring the lower teeth? By how much will your sublabial fold be reduced?

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 05:51:52 AM »
^I was told they can be moved several milimeters. I have enough gum tissue and there will be enough bone to do this after about 3 months.

I wish I knew the answer to your second question, he doesn't seem to know exactly. But I'll take any improvement, this fold is really unattractive especially when I smile.

I made a photoshop of my xray but only changed the bone, I don't know exactly how it's gonna affect the surrounding tissue:
http://imgur.com/a/jjB1Q#0
and after
http://i.imgur.com/BngPuYY.jpg

Whatever it ends up as, I'm pretty confident that I will atleast no longer look like I have bimax protrusion, plus the other benefits(wider arches and smile, no extractions, no more crowding etc.) are worth it.

terry947

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 11:52:29 PM »
nice, I'm excited for you man. keep us posted with how everything goes!

needadvancement

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:20 AM »
Thanks, I certainly will ;)

sean89

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
What will they graft the area with? Your own bone?

buzzhead

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
For those who will need jaw bone spaces filled as part of surgery, do you prefer your own bone, artificial substances, or is a cadaver bone ok with you.  The reason I ask is because I am going to need space filled as they cw rotate my upper jaw down anteriorly.  I worry about something artificial being rejected or reabsorbed.  Taking part of my hip bone will add to my ordeal.  Cadaver bone makes me uncomfortable in always knowing that I am walking around with some one else inside of me.  Does that sound ridiculous?  The other thing that I question about cadaver bone is if it is obtained from the area that it will be used in?  Maybe if it is itself malar bone, it will work better in its intended use.  Age in concert with the rest of the jaw bone.  Would my own hip bone age or behave differently do to its being a "different" kind of bone?  Inquiring (over thinking) minds would like to know.

needadvancement

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
^For me, artificial is fine. Grafting from my own bone will require more evasive surgery and recovery which I don't want.

What will they graft the area with? Your own bone?

No, artificial bone. Plus my own jaw is going produce more bone matter as well so I'm thinking they're gonna form together. I will ask about this for more details.

needadvancement

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:48:58 AM »
Braces are in, last week the upper jaw and today the lower. But I couldn't put my teeth together so they put pieces of glue on my upper molars to bite on but my molars don't meet now. They say that after some time the teeth will move enough and then they can take them out so I can bite again. I'm worried about this because I probably won't be able to chew food well at all and I hope I don't get TMJ. Is this a standard procedure or is this crazy?

Anyway surgery is next tuesday, it will be a tough week. I'm glad the treatment will be going so fast so I can get my bite fixed soon because this is a little tougher than I expected.