Author Topic: Help!!! Do you guys think it's worth it for me to get surgery..honestly? (Pics)  (Read 8283 times)

Lastwish55

When I was 7 I had my tonsils removed and the "punching bag" looking thing in the back of my mouth cut down because I couldnt breathe well,
Was snoring every night and couldn't chew my food quickly. After that I seemed to breathe fine throughout the night.

I was told very young by an orthodontist to have jaw surgery to fix my teeth and my mom thought it was absurd and laughed.

Middle school I had braces for 3 years. Once they were off my tongue thrust made my front teeth start moving upward and outwards (due to "crowding of the teeth" and not much room for my tongue according to dentists).

My lips have never closed normally, I have always been a mouth breather which is bothersome but not the end of the world. I'm always tired when I wake up but I thought it was normal for many. My airway is narrow and my dentist said jaw surgery will obviously help that and I'll breathe much better. To be honest I never knew I had a breathing issue. I took a pulse accemetry test at night and it said my heart rate escalates and disturbs my sleep throughout the night when I don't get perfect air. But it's not super severe just minimal.

I have neck pain at night but I thought maybe I just have a bad pillow or had a long day.

So basically my issues aren't super severe and definitely manageable. Mouth breather, tongue thruster, lips don't close (have always dreamed of them closing with no effort though), neck soreness at night, always tired (bags under my eyes everyday, from my interrupted sleep?)

I'm not sure if these issues are related to my jaw and If they are maybe they will get worse?

After reading pretty bad stories of how surgeries turned out I can't help but think maybe having no sensitivity in parts of my face permanently is way worse than my current issues.

I would hate to regret my surgery and become worse off.

So what I'm asking from those who have gone through jaw surgery and have had my current issues with feeling tired all the time and neck soreness is it a night and day transformation? Is it worth it to undergo such an intense surgery for my issues? Do you feel that if you were in my position you would or wouldn't get it?

And on a very good day (makeup & hair does wonders)..

notrain

• Private
You have legitimate fuctional issues, I think you should get surgery if you can afford it.

I'd also get that mole on your clavicle checked out (no creeper).

Lastwish55

You have legitimate fuctional issues, I think you should get surgery if you can afford it.

I'd also get that mole on your clavicle checked out (no creeper).

Thanks for your opinion. Haha! Yes I have postponed that for a while.. I have a few to remove -_- thank you.

Lastwish55

you would probably look beautiful after jaw surgery...probably you would need jaw angle widening too...but as a girl you may "luck out"...i think that jaw surgery and chin wing would make you beautiful

Thank you.. It's just that I'm not superrr unhappy aesthetically currently. Just moderately. I just would hate for something to go wrong and feel like I'm a greedy SOB you know?

I've never heard of a Ching wing im pretty unfamiliar with all these terms but if it's what I think it is I actually have a few photos that seems as though I have a different lookinf chin because of the angle of how my hair accidentally covered my face. I actually like it! Someone said I looked like Mariah Carey in the second photo which I have never received ha (probably the distinct chin)!

Lazlo

• Private

When I was 7 I had my tonsils removed and the "punching bag" looking thing in the back of my mouth cut down because I couldnt breathe well,
Was snoring every night and couldn't chew my food quickly. After that I seemed to breathe fine throughout the night.

I was told very young by an orthodontist to have jaw surgery to fix my teeth and my mom thought it was absurd and laughed.

Middle school I had braces for 3 years. Once they were off my tongue thrust made my front teeth start moving upward and outwards (due to "crowding of the teeth" and not much room for my tongue according to dentists).

My lips have never closed normally, I have always been a mouth breather which is bothersome but not the end of the world. I'm always tired when I wake up but I thought it was normal for many. My airway is narrow and my dentist said jaw surgery will obviously help that and I'll breathe much better. To be honest I never knew I had a breathing issue. I took a pulse accemetry test at night and it said my heart rate escalates and disturbs my sleep throughout the night when I don't get perfect air. But it's not super severe just minimal.

I have neck pain at night but I thought maybe I just have a bad pillow or had a long day.

So basically my issues aren't super severe and definitely manageable. Mouth breather, tongue thruster, lips don't close (have always dreamed of them closing with no effort though), neck soreness at night, always tired (bags under my eyes everyday, from my interrupted sleep?)

I'm not sure if these issues are related to my jaw and If they are maybe they will get worse?

After reading pretty bad stories of how surgeries turned out I can't help but think maybe having no sensitivity in parts of my face permanently is way worse than my current issues.

I would hate to regret my surgery and become worse off.

So what I'm asking from those who have gone through jaw surgery and have had my current issues with feeling tired all the time and neck soreness is it a night and day transformation? Is it worth it to undergo such an intense surgery for my issues? Do you feel that if you were in my position you would or wouldn't get it?

And on a very good day (makeup & hair does wonders)..

Listen, I'm the expert on all these matter so you should only listen to me. You should definitely have surgery. You have good features. But your chin and lower jaw are retrognathic i.e. too far back or retruded. You could be a stunner, but right now you're like  6. But you actually could be an 8.5-9 (sorry babe, but 10s are based on awesome personality and a slammin booty --which you can get through exercise).  Make sure to get a genioplasty as well to lengthen and advance the chin. No advancement of your lower jaw is too little. Don't let them f**k too much with the upper jaw.  Give me a shout in a year when you're all done. I'll take you for a ride on the Lazlomobile.

Lastwish55

Listen, I'm the expert on all these matter so you should only listen to me. You should definitely have surgery. You have good features. But your chin and lower jaw are retrognathic i.e. too far back or retruded. You could be a stunner, but right now you're like  6. But you actually could be an 8.5-9 (sorry babe, but 10s are based on awesome personality and a slammin booty --which you can get through exercise).  Make sure to get a genioplasty as well to lengthen and advance the chin. No advancement of your lower jaw is too little. Don't let them f**k too much with the upper jaw.  Give me a shout in a year when you're all done. I'll take you for a ride on the Lazlomobile.

Haha you're too funny! Thank you.. But what if I already have a slammin booty and awesome personality? Maybe I can boost up to 7.5 & skip the surgery shenanigans 8)

Thanks for the tips I'll bring your suggestions into a consultation I have tomorrow and see what they say.

Gregor Samsa

Have you been diagnosed with sleep apnea? Based on the testimonials from other members on this forum, it seems worth getting surgery for the functional improvement alone if you're suffering from breathing problems.

PloskoPlus

You would benefit greatly.  Don't rush into it however. Research, research, research.

Lastwish55

Have you been diagnosed with sleep apnea? Based on the testimonials from other members on this forum, it seems worth getting surgery for the functional improvement alone if you're suffering from breathing problems.

I'm a mouth breather like most of us, so sometimes my breathing isn't perfect according to some tests I took, but it's nothing super severe. Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm missing. The cliche "what you don't know doesn't hurt you" applies to my situation im sure.

terry947

i'm is a similar situation. Mouthbreather, bimaxillary protrusion, tongue thrust etc.

First, before even thinking about jaw surgery, I'd recommend you see a myofunctional therapist. If you don't fix the tongue thrust, it'll get worse overtime.

This is something I'm doing but, you don't have to. I'm going to try and fix my neck problems as much as I can before jaw surgery, because I've heard stories or neck pains getting worse after. Imo, you're already cute and getting the jaw surgery would make you look better. Plus if you have sleep apnea, it'll help a lot.

Also, as the trend goes, sleeping disorders get worse as we age, so getting surgery now is kind of preventing future problems from happening. At a young age, bones heal better, permanent numbness is less likely etc.

Like Plosko said, do some research before you decide anything.

Lastwish55

You would benefit greatly.  Don't rush into it however. Research, research, research.

Thank you, I will :)

Lastwish55

i'm is a similar situation. Mouthbreather, bimaxillary protrusion, tongue thrust etc.

First, before even thinking about jaw surgery, I'd recommend you see a myofunctional therapist. If you don't fix the tongue thrust, it'll get worse overtime.

This is something I'm doing but, you don't have to. I'm going to try and fix my neck problems as much as I can before jaw surgery, because I've heard stories or neck pains getting worse after. Imo, you're already cute and getting the jaw surgery would make you look better. Plus if you have sleep apnea, it'll help a lot.

Also, as the trend goes, sleeping disorders get worse as we age, so getting surgery now is kind of preventing future problems from happening. At a young age, bones heal better, permanent numbness is less likely etc.

Like Plosko said, do some research before you decide anything.

We definitely are in a similar situation! Thanks for your input. I agree, taking the risk now is better than later. I actually did see a myofunctional therapist but I must have been to young to really put 100% effort into it because it didn't really work. It's yet another investment to go back. I am going to try to read as much as I can about it and find videos on YouTube in hopes of being able to correct it again myself. You feel that the neck problems you have is from your tongue thrust? How are you going to go about resolving them before surgery?

terry947

Yes i think neck problems stem from 3 things:

1) myofunctional disorder
2) malocclusion ( a bite thats off)
3) sedentary lifestyle with poor posture

I'm looking into restorative exercise, starecta and myofunctional therapy and whatever else I find.

It's all trial and error tbh. I'm not sure if these things will fix my neck pain but hopefully it it will. It'd suck for jaw surgery to make things even worse...

JawKid7

make up does wonders so in terms of looks I would say you don't need it lol! If it causes you problems with eating, breathing, sleep apnea etc then have the surgery

Haha you're too funny! Thank you.. But what if I already have a slammin booty and awesome personality? Maybe I can boost up to 7.5 & skip the surgery shenanigans 8)

Thanks for the tips I'll bring your suggestions into a consultation I have tomorrow and see what they say.

I think we need to see that booty :)
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lastwish55

Yes i think neck problems stem from 3 things:

1) myofunctional disorder
2) malocclusion ( a bite thats off)
3) sedentary lifestyle with poor posture

I'm looking into restorative exercise, starecta and myofunctional therapy and whatever else I find.

It's all trial and error tbh. I'm not sure if these things will fix my neck pain but hopefully it it will. It'd suck for jaw surgery to make things even worse...

Yup that sounds about right. My posture is terrible. Not to mention having a narrow airway makes us have are head facing forward more to enable more air to enter causing stiffness in the neck. Texting and looking down at our phones all day doesn't help either. I'll look into it also. Let me know if you have an success or find anything working extra well for you, I'll do the same.