Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson  (Read 56119 times)

SGseeker

Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
Hi! Thanks for reading! I am considering having a sliding genioplasty as I have a weak chin and I do not like the idea of having an implant (infection/sliding out of place etc). I have FINALLY been able to do a morph that I like! I have tried over 30 different photos/times. I am also posting other photos of myself from different angles.

Please let me know if a) this result is possible via Sliding Genioplasty and b) if you think it is worth it.

Any other thoughts are also welcome. Please also recommend any surgeons you think I should consult with.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:53:57 PM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

Re: Should I get a Sliding Genioplasty ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
Yes I think you're a good candidate for SG because your lip competence is not that bad and you have no mentolabial fold to speak of.

However in the after morp that you made, your lower lip would not be advanced like that with a sliding genio, so that part isn't realistic.

SGseeker

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
Thank you so much for your response. I actually have some lip incompetence. I have to close my lips together. Naturally they are apart and I have to think about keeping them closed. Do you think SG could resolve that? I am a mouth breather and sleep with my mouth open :( 

Here is a photo with my smile - the only time that my mentolabial fold "tries" to appear haha
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:16:08 AM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »
Well then the best option would be a standard BSSO advancing the lower jaw, but since this is a much more invasive treatment it would depend on more than just aesthetics. Do you have a constricted airway and general difficulty breathing through your nose, and also sleep apnea/snoring? Also how is your bite?

Btw, I think you would still need a sliding genioplasty even with a bsso because your chin bone has not developed forward growth. There are surgeons who can do both in one surgery.

SGseeker

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
Ok! I just had a septorhinoplasty to fix my deviated septum. I am now able to breathe through my nose properly without feeling like i'm suffocating. I still go back to mouth breathing though. When I walk to work - i breathe through my mouth .

I do not snore and I don't think I have sleep apnea - but who knows?!? I asked my boyfriend and he says i don't stop breathing at night. I had braces as a child. My bite is good (im guessing) - my teeth touch and my dentist never brought up having braces again.

I have a consult via skype with Dr. Jamali from NYC tomorrow and I'll see what he says. I was not even thinking about a BSSO. Do you recommend any other surgeons for BSSO ? It seems very scary!

Thanks so much for your help. I am posting some front photos as well so you can get a better idea. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:16:13 AM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
^Right, well in that case I think you are going in the right direction with a SG. General jaw surgery does not seem like it would be worth it for you from the sounds of it, especially since your bite is ok(btw when you had braces did you get teeth extracted? If so, I don't know if any bsso would be possible at this point).

It would be good to see other posters chime on this to see more views.

Like I said you appear to be a perfect candidate for a sliding genioplasty, you are already good looking but this would do wonders for your profile. You'd look as good from all angles like you do from the front. Good luck, really.

SGseeker

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
Ok! Good to know :) I will bring the BSSO question to Dr. Jamali tomorrow. Yes I had 4 teeth extracted when I was younger. How does that impact a potential BSSO ?

I would love to have other members chime in with opinions PLEASE!!!

Thank you so much for the complement !! I am 1 month post rhinoplasty so I still have a lot of healing to do still but it's nice to know it's looking good :) !!

Have you had a SG ? When were you fully functioning again (eating normal/speaking/work etc)?

THANKS!

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:10 PM »
Yea I think a sliding genioplasty would be the right direction. God, you got some nice ass lips girl!! ;) lol. Very beautiful already

SGseeker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
Thank you so much :D Sliding genioplasty does feel like it is also as invasive as I am willing  to go. I'll update today once I speak with Dr. Jamali. Do you mind recommending other surgeons who perform a lot of Sliding Genioplasties with an aesthetic eye?

Thanks!

SGseeker

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Hi Everyone! I had my first consult today with Dr. Majid Jamali. He is a "newer" max fac doctor but has had some great reviews. Just want to share the information for other people. He quoted me $7.5k in total. $4.5k for him to do the sliding genioplasty. $2k in hospital fees. $1k for the anesthesiologist. He was very friendly and answered all of my questions. I am going to post the reviews and before and afters I have found on him. I would love to hear the thoughts of other members.

I asked who he would consider the best doctors to perform this procedure (besides him obviously). He told me Arnett, Wolford, Wittenberg, and Posnick. I will be looking into them now as well to see what the price difference is.

What do you guys think? He is relatively "new" but has had some great results etc. He performs about 50 SG a year and 100+ oral surgeries a year (jaw specifically).

Before & After:
http://www.omsofny.com/photo-gallery/photogallery-chin-augmentation.html

Reviews:

CRAZY: http://www.realself.com/review/new-york-ny-orthognathic-surgery-24-years-chew

Also on Make Me Heal: http://www.realself.com/review/new-york-new-york-chin-surgery-chin-implant-removal-and-sliding-genioplasty

http://www.realself.com/review/nyc-chin-surgery-chin-implant-removal-sliding-genioplasty

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/sliding-genioplasty-journey-t161181.html#p1268615&sid=b03db5d1b8bbc57409db4617918b0e0c

http://www.realself.com/review/new-york-ny-chin-surgery-sliding-genioplasty-recessed-chin-27-year-male-happy

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/chin-implant-removal-and-sliding-genioplasty-day-t165818.html#p1271447&sid=996b8cf8663199ccf2607942c99c01f8

needadvancement

Re: Should I get a Sliding Genioplasty + My Consults and Questions!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
^I must say you are going about this the right way. I have no doubt that you'll pick the right surgeon.

Thanks for posting some of those results and testimonies too. I've thought about having SG in the future as well and reading this type of stuff is always good.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Did Jamali say you need jaw surgery for an optimal result?

SGseeker

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »
No - he hasn't seen my x-rays. He says that the SG should be sufficient but we will still need to do x-rays to make sure that I do not require lower jaw surgery. Based on our webcam consult - he thinks my upper jaw is fine and the SG should get me the change I want. Especially since my bite is fine and i had 4 extractions when I was younger. BSSO would still be possible just more complicated. I personally don't want to go for a BSSO as this is purely cosmetic for me. The SG would be the farthest im willing to go in terms of "invasiveness".

Are you considering Jamali ? Not many people have heard of him he was actually wondering how I heard of SG at all as many people get a chin implant and then come to him for help afterwards.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:45 AM »
Are you considering Jamali ? Not many people have heard of him he was actually wondering how I heard of SG at all as many people get a chin implant and then come to him for help afterwards.

No, I just want to get a feel for how frank doctors are in general...  Anyway, we have a forum member who had surgery done by him.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,3673.msg23671.html#msg23671

He was honest and told him that his jaws were recessed as well, not just the chin.

SGseeker

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:31:45 AM »
It seems that he was happy with his results. I tried messaging him a few times but I haven't heard back. From my search I don't think he ever posted Before and Afters - please share a link if you know otherwise.

I'll let you know what Jamali says when I have my X-Rays.