Author Topic: Prediction of the level of the nerve damage  (Read 1088 times)

Rico

Prediction of the level of the nerve damage
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:18:18 AM »
How to read between the lines ?

When one surgeon claims that during stretching (the same surgical plan) a nerve will be only mildly damaged, which means only very mild hypoasthesia for a very short time

...and the second one, that it's a little more tricky, it can be mild or more significant damage -  loss of feeling. it depends on many factor - however he underlines that he does it as gentle as possible.

So if both do it as gentle as possible, then why the first one almost guarantee me very mild damage, while the second is not so optimistic

the second one is more careful ? the first one too optimistic ? not 100% trueful ?

From your experience how to read such infos ;)

Re: Prediction of the level of the nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »
in my case my surgeon was like your second doctor, he warned me about the risks but he said he would be really careful , I had double jaw surgery the 3rd of june and when I woke up I could feel my face completely, no numbness whatsoever ... I think it has to do with the surgeon being careful but also luck ... just be aware of what could go wrong and be prepared for it .

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:51:01 AM »
IMO, the pessimistic surgeon is simply lowering your expectations.  Because low expectations are the key to happiness.

Rico

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:50:30 AM »
for 90% you will get numbness after surgery even if one patient of specific surgeon had not at all. The question is how big. The bigger the less chances You will get 100% of nerve function. However the level of numbness is not perfect indicator - it's more complicated. Additionally it depends on what kind of surgery...

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
@sixfootthree i live in Belgium so i'm not sure if that would help you, but i can send you a private message with his name