Author Topic: Back seeking more sleep apnea stories  (Read 3311 times)

jawsaw

Re: Back seeking more sleep apnea stories
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »
Hey everyone. I had my final pre-op appointment today and I figured I would update ya'll. I finally saw the workup and it looks like my maxilla will be advanced 4 mm with slight clockwise rotation. The mandible advancement+genio is around 12mm. The genioplasty is cut in such a way to insure that the tongue is pulled forward with it.

I saw a computer simulation of the soft tissue results and its honestly horrifying. They assured me that it was not accurate, but still pretty unsettling to see.

Its funny I spent so much time worrying about over advancement and a chimp look, or a pig nose that I never considered the possibility of under-advancement. The 4 mm advancement of the maxilla seems conservative. I thought it would end up being closer to 10mm. He assured me that this would be enough advancement and any more might be unappealing aesthetically. 

I hope it is enough advancement to give me a strong jaw line and cure this awful feeling of a constricted airway.

What amount were your advancements? Does 4mm seem small?

SOOOO NERVOUS

Also, I wonder if oral surgeons ever lurk this site to see what people talk about.

Picollo30

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
jawsaw i have sent you a pm have you seen it?

im totally freaked out of the surgery. It's this Thursday. I have the same as you, sleep apnea, constricted airway (4mm).  Do you think i will look like a chimp/primitive after the surgery, doctor said OSA surgery involves great mandible/maxilla movements, hope he doesnt bring my face too forward.

buzzhead

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »
My OSA surgery was 14mm advancement of jaw and 9mm advancement of maxilla with 5mm CW down graft of maxilla.  No chimp look and no widening of nose.

Picollo30

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
My OSA surgery was 14mm advancement of jaw and 9mm advancement of maxilla with 5mm CW down graft of maxilla.  No chimp look and no widening of nose.

buzzhead what about improvements in both sleep apnea cure and facial aesthetics? are you satisfied?

jawsaw

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »
Buzzhead. Was the 14mm mandible including genioplasty?

jawsaw

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
Picollo I can't seem to find your pm.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 12:07:55 AM »
Hey everyone. I had my final pre-op appointment today and I figured I would update ya'll. I finally saw the workup and it looks like my maxilla will be advanced 4 mm with slight clockwise rotation. The mandible advancement+genio is around 12mm. The genioplasty is cut in such a way to insure that the tongue is pulled forward with it.

I saw a computer simulation of the soft tissue results and its honestly horrifying. They assured me that it was not accurate, but still pretty unsettling to see.

Its funny I spent so much time worrying about over advancement and a chimp look, or a pig nose that I never considered the possibility of under-advancement. The 4 mm advancement of the maxilla seems conservative. I thought it would end up being closer to 10mm. He assured me that this would be enough advancement and any more might be unappealing aesthetically. 

I hope it is enough advancement to give me a strong jaw line and cure this awful feeling of a constricted airway.

What amount were your advancements? Does 4mm seem small?

SOOOO NERVOUS

Also, I wonder if oral surgeons ever lurk this site to see what people talk about.

Sure you didn't mean CCW? That's a standard plan otherwise. I hear SG improvement to airway relapses so surgeons say it's mostly aesthetic. I saw an MMA in person and it looked great actually. Surgeons do lurk on this site but there's a lot of content, I'm sure not all of it.

jawsaw

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »
Molestrip.  I mean clockwise. To fix flat occlusal plane and improve smile arc. It's a small clockwise rotation.   

What do you mean genio airway relapse?

buzzhead

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:35 AM »
The jaw advancement did not include genio.  My chin already protruded due to past ortho work in my teens.  Premolars were removed and anterior teeth moved back.

buzzhead

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »
Yes I am happy with the results.  I'm not George Clooney (figuratively speaking), but now I have tooth show when smiling, more ante face and of course definitely better sleep.