Author Topic: WHEN DOES THE PAIN IN YOUR CHIN STOP FROM BI-MAX OPERATION?????  (Read 5093 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Hi guys so I'm only 13 days post-op. I was hoping to know when any of you stopped experiencing pain completely from your operation?

I had a bi-max and I only feel some tightness around my upper gums, but on my lower gums and especially my chin and lower mandible I feel a terrible red-hot heat and stretching pain. It's probably a 7 out of 10.

Any of you have any idea when this pain may desist? Like when did you notice ALL your pain was gone? Would just really like to know things.

baldguy83

Re: WHEN DOES THE PAIN IN YOUR CHIN STOP FROM BI-MAX OPERATION?????
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
Sounds like nerve damage, might take a while to resolve.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
Sounds like nerve damage, might take a while to resolve.

Is this legit? I mean are you speaking from the POV of someone who had this operation and had nerve damage or are you just making up s**t without having had any experience. What's your justification for this assertion. I'm sorry if you're gonna make such a strong claim I'd like to know what you know to back it up.

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
Lazlo,

Nerve damage is not a rare or unheard of complication of jaw surgery.  So you need to at least accept the possibility that is the source of your symptoms.

Bigger movements often involve higher risk of this complication.

Hopefully the pain and burning is just the nerves recovering from the trauma.  None of that mitigates the pain you are experiencing.

Do you have any numbness ?   Anywhere ?   

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:23 PM »
Lazlo,

Nerve damage is not a rare or unheard of complication of jaw surgery.  So you need to at least accept the possibility that is the source of your symptoms.

Hopefully the pain and burning is just the nerves recovering from the trauma.  None of that mitigates the pain you are experiencing.

Wait nerve damage or any other sort of damage after my operation is fine and expected. But how long typically after surgery does such pain resolve!!!!!????? I mean we've never talked about such things here really.

After surgery it takes at least 6 weeks and then 3 months for final results to reveal themselves. Since when do you guys start making diagnoses literally not even 2 weeks out from someone's surgery? All I'm asking is how many paople had such pain 2 weeks out and if they did how long did it take to dissipate (assuming it did). This wasn't a call for all the armchair surgeons on this board to start making prognoses about my nerves. I only want to hear from people with empirical experience about the issue.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
Lazlo,

Hey okay Sorry Bobbit, it's funny when you're in pain how bad a mood you can be in. Yes I'm sure that's indeed what it is pain from trauma. And yeah I just hope it'll go away soon. Sorry didn't mean to bark at you. If you have children cut them some slack if they act grumpy post-jaw surgery lol. Hopefully I'll be laughing and making and jokes again soon myself.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 11:31:39 PM »
i don't think it's nerve damage, but rather common pain/burning post surgery.

I cannot stress this more:

Double jaw surgery is a BRUTAL surgery. I had rhino (3), chin implant, chin wing (S), zygomatic osteotomy-to be fair, i had chin wing and ZO combined once!, but NOTHING, nothing compares to double jaw.

Some people say chin wing is hard. To me, chin wing is a f**king walk in a park. Jaw surgery is painful, emotionally unbearable. Swelling lasts 3 years or more (100% of it at least).

just lol if you expect no pain at 13 days lazlo. wtf is this question???

baldguy83

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:44:06 AM »
Is this legit? I mean are you speaking from the POV of someone who had this operation and had nerve damage or are you just making up s**t without having had any experience. What's your justification for this assertion. I'm sorry if you're gonna make such a strong claim I'd like to know what you know to back it up.

I have not had nerve damage myself no, thank god. I've just read a lot of after-surgery experiences, and have researched quite a bit about the surgeries themselves.

I'm not saying it's definitely chronic paresthesia (which would suck), it could be minor nerve trauma and therefore simply resolve within a few weeks. Your surgery is still very recent. Why do I think it's nerve trauma? Because you describe it as an intense burning sensation, and cuts were made close to the mandibular nerve. This definitely points towards the nerves. But ofcourse, it could be something else entirely. As you said, I am not a qualified surgeon.

Question: does the feeling subside if you use paracetamol or ibuprofen? Nerve pain (neuropathic pain) typically does not respond to these painkillers AFAIK.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:21:33 AM by baldguy83 »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
hey guys the pain only subsides when i use hydrocodone.

yes, i'm pretty sure this is normal pain.

come on it's really dangerous for those of you "us" (since initially i had no friggin pain but that was probably just pain killers) who experience painless recovery to make it look this surgery is walk in the park.

there's a friggin reason no exeriecse for 6 weeks and soft foods six weeks.  i mean there's pain, i have a constant of 4-6 no problem it hurts sucks but i don't wish suicide. you have more than 20 minutes of 9/10 and you want to die no questions asked.

and really huge threat of getting addicted to opioids. Just keeping this s**t real. I am in in hellish pain and it's over 2 weeks now.

baldguy83

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
Are you on B12 supplements?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »
i always told you so though

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »
i don't think it's nerve damage, but rather common pain/burning post surgery.

I cannot stress this more:

Double jaw surgery is a BRUTAL surgery. I had rhino (3), chin implant, chin wing (S), zygomatic osteotomy-to be fair, i had chin wing and ZO combined once!, but NOTHING, nothing compares to double jaw.

Some people say chin wing is hard. To me, chin wing is a f**king walk in a park. Jaw surgery is painful, emotionally unbearable. Swelling lasts 3 years or more (100% of it at least).

just lol if you expect no pain at 13 days lazlo. wtf is this question???

YUP. THIS.

THis is my experience. Maybe some people (very lucky) are experiencing reduced pain, but i had my chin advanced, widened and enlarged and all sorts of s**t done to my lips. Pain is high and hard. And I don't think I have really weak reaction to pain. I mean I don't think I'm like oversensitive in fact I thought the opposite.

Oh well Stupidjaws makes me feel at least it's not unheard of and I assume it to suck till six weaks.

Also guys I may have an openbite I don't know. But I'm going to a really smart independent max fac tomorrow to diagnose my bite and everything and the surgery so I will report and tell you all what Dr. Sinn has done.

Thanks for the support guys. Finally my surgery has happened. So keeping this s**t real.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
Yes this surgery is brutal. And the risks are extremely high. I am concerned how doctors do withhold the many complications that can occur and make it seem as if it was something random and easy.
You have to imagine that your tissues and nerves, muscles are all stretched out. Then you have foreign material in your jaw. Pain usually subsides after 4 weeks, so you really have to wait. Try to relax and not get angry, or scream etc….anything that can interfere with the healing process.

You will feel better soon. Don't think too much, watch Netflix, take your meds and relax. You could have pain up to 6 months and should not worry about it. Only then you can talk about long-lasting  nerve damage or anything serious. Anything before that time frame can be pretty normal, at least that's what doctors say.

Take your B vitamins and anything that helps the healing process : lots of veggies, protein and fresh pure water.
What I realized improves healing the most: Watch funny movies, think happy thoughts and let positive people visit you.
Feeling good and positive is one of the best and underestimated medicines if not the best.

See this is real friggin realness. There are so many of you who say there's no pain in this surgery. Well i'm still on painkillers and i have pain all friggin day and it's horrible.

I basically walk through the day in a useless haze of pain. Thankfully cause some of you are honest I also know that it can end soon. Ortho who I saw today said yeah the pain is awful cause nerves are trying to regeneration so don't expect it to go away for couple of weeks more. HOLY HELL. We're talking 8/10 pain okay? So it's like mind-numbingly awful.

I won't like and I'm like day 14 now.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »
OH and something else this whole

yeah swelling peaks at day 3 business is bulls**t. I have swelling in my cheekbone only now day 14 --in fact my swelling is worse in places right now. and pain is friggin GODDAMN it couldn't be so bad. Like literally has me shouting out loud at times and trust me I'm a tough muthaf**ka when it comes to physical pain, i ain't playing here.

baldguy83

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »

See this is real friggin realness. There are so many of you who say there's no pain in this surgery. Well i'm still on painkillers and i have pain all friggin day and it's horrible.

I guess it can vary depending on the person, and the exact surgery involved. My major surgery (had some follow-ups since) last year involved a BSSO, chin wing, ZO, and a genioplasty, all in one sitting. Took over 10 hours total. Hardly any pain afterwards. So it's not like I'm intentionally lying about how brutal surgery can be, I guess I just got lucky (or you are unlucky).

As for swelling: yeah that third day max swelling stuff was incorrect for me as well. I also still had significant swelling over 2 months later, especially around the chin. You really have to be patient to judge the end result, which sucks. Face keeps changing all the time, which makes it hard to be certain or confident about how things will turn out, maybe even causing anxiety. For me this aspect sucked the most.