Author Topic: Tentative surgery date!  (Read 4801 times)

Icy

Tentative surgery date!
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
Hi guys!

So I've been quiet on the boards, been focusing on my studies, but I had a landmark appointment with my orthodontist today - we're going ahead with the surgery this November! The date hasn't been set yet, but it will be towards the end of November. The proposed plan so far is BSSO and Lefort with 5mm lower jaw advancement, the measurements on upper haven't been done yet but I imagine it will just be to balance the whole deal. My upper tooth show is so much better now compared to how it was this time last year, so I'm feeling confident that the result will be harmonious. I definitely had some BDD to deal with, and I'm feeling so much more comfortable and at peace with my appearance now, so I'm just hoping this surgery goes smoothly and delivers a subtle improvement to my appearance and smile. I appear to have a cant which throws off my bite and my chin, but this is due to my TMD which is going to be addressed at the same time as the corrective jaw surgery. Any thoughts on what I should reasonably expect from this as far as profile improvements go? I'm uploading a recent image of my profile, sorry for the potato quality but I just don't have access to a good camera right now. It's strange, I have a hollow undereye area but it's really not bothering me as much as it used to, I'm hoping surgery will help balance my features a bit!

Aaand the teeth :)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Tentative surgery date!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
you look cute

Icy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »
you look cute

Lol I'm just an ordinary girl with a somewhat wonky jaw. Don't look anything out of the ordinary to other people, tis only the jaw obsessed who notice the weirdness about my face :P

TMKA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:54:50 AM »
I can't tell from those pics whats wrong with your jaw. Are you having surgery without braces on your upper teeth?

marcus3415

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »
My tip for you that could last a lifetime: Do not become "jaw obsessed"

Icy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »
I can't tell from those pics whats wrong with your jaw. Are you having surgery without braces on your upper teeth?

I have incognito braces on top, they're behind my teeth. I have a 5mm overbite and asymmetry along with severe TMD.

Icy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
My tip for you that could last a lifetime: Do not become "jaw obsessed"

Agreed. I've had enough of this crap to last me til I'm ancient, I just want healthy teeth and jaws now, all this other aesthetic stuff can go jump! I'll settle for a normal bite and profile :)

UKMaxfac

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »
How did you get more upper incisor show?

Icy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »
How did you get more upper incisor show?

My teeth were shockingly retroclined! During my treatment my incisors were uprighted and the retroclined teeth restored to the correct angles. :)

kjohnt

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »
My teeth were shockingly retroclined! During my treatment my incisors were uprighted and the retroclined teeth restored to the correct angles. :)

Ortho must have tipped the root edge of upper incisors back as part of your uprighting, because I see no gaps.  Or did you have some bonding done?  Looks good.

Anyway I thint your maxilla looks good, at least in anteroposterior and vertical dimensions.  Too bad you mention a cant because otherwise I'd think BSSO only.  And your chin looks about perfect relative to lower lip.

Icy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
Ortho must have tipped the root edge of upper incisors back as part of your uprighting, because I see no gaps.  Or did you have some bonding done?  Looks good.

Anyway I thint your maxilla looks good, at least in anteroposterior and vertical dimensions.  Too bad you mention a cant because otherwise I'd think BSSO only.  And your chin looks about perfect relative to lower lip.

I'm not 100% certain if that's what she did, but she did bond my lateral incisors a bit since they're undersized. =) I have to admit, I'm not too psyched about the prospect of upper jaw surgery, my housemate just had top and bottom done, and her nose changed a bit. She looks great (very strong forward cheekbones, she's gonna look like a model once she's healed!) and obviously she has some swelling, but I don't want my nose to upturn, it would not suit me! I've already had to have one rhino (broken nose as a kid) and the pig nose I got from the swelling was NOT cute, so I'm hoping if the upper must be moved, then it's not too extreme because I like my nose as it is.  :P I used to think my maxilla was very underdeveloped, but it was literally just the s**tty camouflage orthodontics making me look toothless, so thank goodness that was reversible!

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 09:19:23 AM »
I'm not 100% certain if that's what she did, but she did bond my lateral incisors a bit since they're undersized. =) I have to admit, I'm not too psyched about the prospect of upper jaw surgery, my housemate just had top and bottom done, and her nose changed a bit. She looks great (very strong forward cheekbones, she's gonna look like a model once she's healed!) and obviously she has some swelling, but I don't want my nose to upturn, it would not suit me! I've already had to have one rhino (broken nose as a kid) and the pig nose I got from the swelling was NOT cute, so I'm hoping if the upper must be moved, then it's not too extreme because I like my nose as it is.  :P I used to think my maxilla was very underdeveloped, but it was literally just the s**tty camouflage orthodontics making me look toothless, so thank goodness that was reversible!

What can they do besides an Alar stitch to prevent any changes to the nose?  Especially the widening and upturn I have seen.  I dont want that.
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

kjohnt

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

I assume nose widening/upturn is an effect of forward maxillary advancement.  Hard tissue moved forward both stretches and pushes outward the soft tissue covering it. 

If I'm correct in that assumption and given that your lf1 likely won't inclue much advancement, you should have nothing to worry about in regard to your nose.  It shouldn't change.  Discuss with your surgeon, of course.

Icy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
I assume nose widening/upturn is an effect of forward maxillary advancement.  Hard tissue moved forward both stretches and pushes outward the soft tissue covering it. 

If I'm correct in that assumption and given that your lf1 likely won't inclue much advancement, you should have nothing to worry about in regard to your nose.  It shouldn't change.  Discuss with your surgeon, of course.

I'm hoping that it will be possible to avoid any nose changes since the movements should be small, but yeah will have to discuss that with my surgeon. Right now I have a list of things a mile long to bombard him with since my dad is still a bit skeptical about surgery, though he now understands that this isn't a vanity thing and is actually a problem that impacts my health so that's good at least!  ;D I could deal with a tiny bit of widening but  upturning would just be... not good. But I trust my surgeon, so I'll just hold my concerns til my next appointment for now. :)

Washingtoni

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
So I've been quiet on the boards, been focusing on my studies, but I had a landmark appointment with my orthodontist today - we're going ahead with the surgery this November! The date hasn't been set yet, but it will be towards the end of November. The proposed plan so far is BSSO and Lefort with 5mm lower jaw advancement, the measurements on upper haven't been done yet but I imagine it will just be to balance the whole deal.

I think that you would benefit from some  jaw movements like your surgeon proposed you. I think 5 mm lower jaw advancement should be great. You have slightly recessed jaw but you want to look stunning I guess. You have overall nice smile. Can I ask you which surgeon will do your surgery?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:22:18 PM by Washingtoni »