Author Topic: Best Surgeon for Double-Jaw Revision?  (Read 1448 times)

OHjawz

Best Surgeon for Double-Jaw Revision?
« on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »
I had a lefort 1 done a couple years ago but the placement of the upper jaw is very poor.  I am looking to find out who would be some good revision surgeons to fix this.  I have met with one oral surgeon who suggested a single piece lefort for the upper jaw and a sagittal split for the lower.  If the surgeon can also perform a septo/rhino revision, that's a plus, but not necessary.  I live in Ohio but travel is not an issue.

OHjawz

Re: Best Surgeon for Double-Jaw Revision?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Have you addressed this with the original surgeon? LeFort I is a very stable procedure. You should have noticed something as soon as the surgery was done and the initial healing period has passed. You should always follow up with the original surgeon and get his feedback and express your concerns on this issue before moving on to another surgeon, because it's going to be tough to find another person to backtrack the other surgeons work and do a revision surgery, as these are even more complicated cases. While your there, get an updated sets of xrays and cephs.

I have but the doctor became very defensive and refused to say anything could be wrong.  I have a crooked lower jaw but instead of double-jaw, which was the original plan, he tilted the upper jaw a few mm to match the cant of the lower.  When I brought up the issue of the cant bothering me he simply, and I s**t you not, had me sit up with my head straight and then proceeded to tilt my head to an unnatural leaning position with his hands and say "There!  See there's no tilt!".  So there I am with my head leaned to the side thinking this guy's crazy.  Am I just supposed to walk around with my head consciously leaned to the side all my life?  I wouldn't let that guy touch my jaw(s) again even if HE paid ME

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
Sounds like what I got. But my midlines were fixed orthodontically. So I don't really notice it. I did end up with massive nerve damage as well, so a double jaw revision is out of the question. I'd have 2 numb lips.

OHjawz

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »
Sounds like what I got. But my midlines were fixed orthodontically. So I don't really notice it. I did end up with massive nerve damage as well, so a double jaw revision is out of the question. I'd have 2 numb lips.

I feel for ya.  I'm very appreciative that the placement and tilt seem to be the problem only, not any nerve damage.  How extensive is your nerve damage?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Obviously Gunson

OHjawz

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:47 AM »
Obviously Gunson

I have a consult scheduled with arnett-gunson for Oct.  Have you had any work done with either one of them?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:38:28 AM »
I have a consult scheduled with arnett-gunson for Oct.  Have you had any work done with either one of them?
You can get a paper consult first (send in your photos, moulds, x-rays), and they send you back a treatment plan, which you can in theory take to a cheaper local surgeon.  But they take forever to reply - at least 3 months. 

OHjawz

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
You can get a paper consult first (send in your photos, moulds, x-rays), and they send you back a treatment plan, which you can in theory take to a cheaper local surgeon.  But they take forever to reply - at least 3 months. 

I got my reply from Arnett-Gunson about a paper consult.  Here's what I was sent:
"Please wait for your October consultation, it is always best to have the consult in person when possible.  It is not the same thing in regards to the full information you will receive in person.  Typically paper consults are only done for patients that are seen by some orthodontists that refer all of their patients here for surgery so they are very familiar with the process, ortho set up and surgery.  We are also headed into our busy summer season in two weeks, so the likelihood of a paper consult happening much before October is slim."

LyraM45

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »
Hi there!  Sorry your surgery experience was what it was. Quite a few of us have been there! If you are up for travel I highly recommend coming out to see Dr. Gunson. I saw him as part of my revision consults and he's amazing. I ended up having my complicated revision done with a surgeon in the San Francisco Bay Area.  If you'd like to see how he did with my case and get more information on him, feel free to check out my website and blog:  www.confessionsofametalmouth.com   Let me know if you have any questions!