Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for next week - please share your knowledge!  (Read 10438 times)

msmixmaster

• Private
Hi all!

I'm scheduled to have my surgery w/ Dr. Gunson next week. I've been reading these forums over the last few days and astonished how much people seem to know about this stuff. So please share your knowledge with me! 

First off ? here?s the #s on my CTP. What do they mean?

Maxilla          A-P   Vert
ANS         -2.7   -0.3
PNS         -2.8   +4.1
Mx1 tip          0.0   -1.0
Molar MB cusp tip   -0.8   +3.0

Mandible       A-P   Vert
Md1 tip         -0.7   +3.3
Molar MB cusp tip   -0.5   -1.9
B point         +2.6   +2.0
Pog         +5.4   +2.2
Genioplasty      +1.4   +0.2

Secondly, for those of you who have already gone through the surgery ? do you any recommendations of what to buy / do / not to do to make the recovery process more tolerable?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

msmixmaster

• Private
Re: Surgery scheduled for next week - please share your knowledge!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
And also...what can one do if she has super gummy smile while having little tooth show (2-3mm max)?

mec

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
Hi all!

I'm scheduled to have my surgery w/ Dr. Gunson next week. I've been reading these forums over the last few days and astonished how much people seem to know about this stuff. So please share your knowledge with me! 

First off ? here?s the #s on my CTP. What do they mean?

Maxilla          A-P   Vert
ANS         -2.7   -0.3
PNS         -2.8   +4.1
Mx1 tip          0.0   -1.0
Molar MB cusp tip   -0.8   +3.0

Mandible       A-P   Vert
Md1 tip         -0.7   +3.3
Molar MB cusp tip   -0.5   -1.9
B point         +2.6   +2.0
Pog         +5.4   +2.2
Genioplasty      +1.4   +0.2

Secondly, for those of you who have already gone through the surgery ? do you any recommendations of what to buy / do / not to do to make the recovery process more tolerable?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

I just had surgery with Dr. Gunson yesterday. You will not be disappointed. I'll probably see you in the Dr's office at some point.

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I just had surgery with Dr. Gunson yesterday. You will not be disappointed. I'll probably see you in the Dr's office at some point.

Oh yay! Great you are already feeling well enough to post!  :)

CK

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
the chances of seeing a totally different face is unlikely unless you have a crazy underbite or possess a severe and blatant jaw deformity.

what you might see is a loss of certain traits of features that you identity with, though others probably won't see it. That I hear is a common complaint.

pekay

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »
the chances of seeing a totally different face is unlikely unless you have a crazy underbite or possess a severe and blatant jaw deformity.

what you might see is a loss of certain traits of features that you identity with, though others probably won't see it. That I hear is a common complaint.

beautiful, well said bro

Chopsticks > Spoons

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »

Good to know. I bet it'll still be weird and I can be pretty obsessive...

pekay

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
Ended up with a bunch of Korean plastic surgery vids... :( Need to change my search strategy.

not to be a sexist jerk or anything but if you're a female you don't have much to worry about
Chopsticks > Spoons

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
not to be a sexist jerk or anything but if you're a female you don't have much to worry about

How so?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Good luck with your surgery! My best advice is to be kind to yourself and DO NOT allow yourself to judge your face, avoid mirrors if you have sensation at least for the first bit, because you'll be so curious and freak out if you are not mentally prepared ! Know that this is all part of the process and you will heal !! Im a few weeks ahead of you in recovery so I know. Also try to keep yourself distracted with a tv series/movie/internet whatever that doesnt require a lot of brain power so you can focus on recovering!

If you have any other questions post away or pm :)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »
Good luck with your surgery! My best advice is to be kind to yourself and DO NOT allow yourself to judge your face, avoid mirrors if you have sensation at least for the first bit, because you'll be so curious and freak out if you are not mentally prepared ! Know that this is all part of the process and you will heal !! Im a few weeks ahead of you in recovery so I know. Also try to keep yourself distracted with a tv series/movie/internet whatever that doesnt require a lot of brain power so you can focus on recovering!

If you have any other questions post away or pm :)

Thank you! It sounds challenging! It's helpful to know this in advance for sure though. Obviously, I figured it was going to be physically challenging but I haven't really thought about the mental aspect of the whole thing until now....

pekay

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
How so?

IMO this type of surgery was tailored for women and they definitely seem to benefit the most (from an aesthetic point of view)
Chopsticks > Spoons

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
IMO this type of surgery was tailored for women and they definitely seem to benefit the most (from an aesthetic point of view)

Interesting. Besides gender, what other variables would you say are key predictive factors for the anticipated benefits from this type of surgery, from an asthetics perspective?

CK

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Interesting. Besides gender, what other variables would you say are key predictive factors for the anticipated benefits from this type of surgery, from an asthetics perspective?

pre-surgery status, class, and age.

msmixmaster

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »
pre-surgery status, class, and age.

What do you mean by pre-surgery status? I'm guessing Class I people would expect least dramatic change? And the younger the patient, the more siginificant the improvement, holding all else constant?