Author Topic: Opinions on Wolford?  (Read 6629 times)

Post bimax

• Private
Opinions on Wolford?
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »
I'm wondering what the general opinion around here on Wolford is, especially with regard to revisions.  I know Gunson is considered the 'best', but what do you think of Wolford's results? Gunson is particularly hard to get a consultation with; doubly so if you don't have a medical problem or referral.

I know Wolford is aggressive with CCW-r which is a plus for patients who need it.  I see a lot of mixed reviews of him on the internet, but most of these seem to stem from TMJ reconstruction where it was not really necessary.

Thanks

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Opinions on Wolford?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
That's the reputation I've heard as well. He replaces the joints (and he invented the artificial joints he's using) when unnecessary. That alone is a red flag. There was a flawed study out of Washington (from memory, and I think he funded it?) claiming the benefits of the procedure. You might be able to find the paper.

I've heard he has some good results, but to me the above is too weird. He also owns a top 100 house in Dallas:

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2018/july/100-most-expensive-homes-in-dallas/

Selling unnecessary, expensive replacement joints seems like a way to do that.

Maybe he's good though? I really don't know, but that's what I've pieced together on him.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
I think he's one of the pioneers or 'movers and shakers' for CCW. I think the joint replacements are about his not wanting to do too much CCW on people with TMJ pain/problems.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
I think he's one of the pioneers or 'movers and shakers' for CCW. I think the joint replacements are about his not wanting to do too much CCW on people with TMJ pain/problems.

I wonder if he does multi-segment CCW's like Gunson often does. As you keenly pointed out, it's possible the 3-piece lefort relieves a good deal of muscle pressure on the TMJ when doing major posterior downgrafts, in comparison to a lesser-piece lefort.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »
I wonder if he does multi-segment CCW's like Gunson often does. As you keenly pointed out, it's possible the 3-piece lefort relieves a good deal of muscle pressure on the TMJ when doing major posterior downgrafts, in comparison to a lesser-piece lefort.

Yes. He does. Because you can see it in the way he draw his diagrams where it's clear that it must be 3 piece. Gunson makes the diagram look like it could be 'see saw' rotation around 1 point where it is indeed a 3 piece L1 a lot of the time.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:54 PM »
Only a 10 million house? The man is a pauper!

ForeverDet

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
Wolford's results with CCW/CWR are outstanding. I don't know if I've ever seen one before-after that wasn't excellent.

That said, he will peddle his aritifical joint crap if he hears just a SINGLE click in your jaw. With no other symptoms. Actually he doesn't even need to hear it, you can tell him in writing you have no TMJ pain or issues but mention a rare click that happened years ago and he'll want to talk about replacing your joints. That's bonkers.

I have an e-mail where he did just that with me.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 02:52:23 AM »
I think this thread belongs in the private forum.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
It looks like his outstanding YELP reviews ARE from people that REALLY needed total reconstruction where the TMJ replacements were part of it and who had some way of knowing that was needed.

I would imagine that his happy patients had a LOT of $$ because it looks like insurance does NOT pay for everything done in the surgery and one YELP reviewer was LAUDING him for not limiting his surgery suggestions to only those insurance would pay for.

Outside of YELP there was a patient who clearly really needed the TMJ replacements and total reconstruction surgeries but she also needed to rustle up about 45 grand or so for the part of the surgery that was self pay and the insurance would not pay for. So I guess the surgeries with him were close to a quarter million.

ref= https://www.gofundme.com/moderndorcasdenise

The complaints (in general) look to be from people to whom he suggested joint replacements or something else where they probably had no way of 'knowing' if they really needed that. You know, not like the other patients who had some way of 'knowing' that particular suggestion rang true which would be something the patient would 'know' if they also knew they needed total jaw reconstruction or suffered from a lot of joint pain.

I guess the 'neutral' thing I would suggest is that if you go there for 'aesthetics' and he intimates or suggests joint replacement in situation where you, as patient, don't perceive any joint problems, would be to hold off or decline the surgery if it were contingent on joint repacement. Perhaps take a 'wait and see' approach and consider him later down the line in the event it 'feels' that way to you that you might need that.

As to the OP asking for feedback, it looks like you still need to resolve your initial question which was; 'Should I have had CCW?' I think you need to REFINE that question to:

'Would I have wanted a 3 piece Lefort in order JUST to have CCW?'

To that regard, you would need to factor in such things as insurance NOT paying for the 'extras' needed to do that when the solution was what you got to correct the bite. Also what ever other co-pays, travel expenses etc that would have been needed.

At this point in time, if you still want that, it's REVISION surgery and would tend to be TOTALLY SELF PAY given that insurance would not kick in for it.

Plosko, I'm not sure how 'private' this discussion needs to be given the OP posted his photos openly and is asking for GENERAL feedback. Not to mention, he is referencing PUBLIC feedback (open reviews) he's read.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
It looks like his outstanding YELP reviews ARE from people that REALLY needed total reconstruction where the TMJ replacements were part of it and who had some way of knowing that was needed.

I would imagine that his happy patients had a LOT of $$ because it looks like insurance does NOT pay for everything done in the surgery and one YELP reviewer was LAUDING him for not limiting his surgery suggestions to only those insurance would pay for.

Outside of YELP there was a patient who clearly really needed the TMJ replacements and total reconstruction surgeries but she also needed to rustle up about 45 grand or so for the part of the surgery that was self pay and the insurance would not pay for. So I guess the surgeries with him were close to a quarter million.

ref= https://www.gofundme.com/moderndorcasdenise

The complaints (in general) look to be from people to whom he suggested joint replacements or something else where they probably had no way of 'knowing' if they really needed that. You know, not like the other patients who had some way of 'knowing' that particular suggestion rang true which would be something the patient would 'know' if they also knew they needed total jaw reconstruction or suffered from a lot of joint pain.

I guess the 'neutral' thing I would suggest is that if you go there for 'aesthetics' and he intimates or suggests joint replacement in situation where you, as patient, don't perceive any joint problems, would be to hold off or decline the surgery if it were contingent on joint repacement. Perhaps take a 'wait and see' approach and consider him later down the line in the event it 'feels' that way to you that you might need that.

As to the OP asking for feedback, it looks like you still need to resolve your initial question which was; 'Should I have had CCW?' I think you need to REFINE that question to:

'Would I have wanted a 3 piece Lefort in order JUST to have CCW?'

To that regard, you would need to factor in such things as insurance NOT paying for the 'extras' needed to do that when the solution was what you got to correct the bite. Also what ever other co-pays, travel expenses etc that would have been needed.

At this point in time, if you still want that, it's REVISION surgery and would tend to be TOTALLY SELF PAY given that insurance would not kick in for it.

Plosko, I'm not sure how 'private' this discussion needs to be given the OP posted his photos openly and is asking for GENERAL feedback. Not to mention, he is referencing PUBLIC feedback (open reviews) he's read.

You are correct that I'm still after my initial question.  The feedback on this forum has been useful, but I want another top surgeon's opinion to either a. settle my mind on what I actually had done or b. articulate some revision option.

Regarding my operation, I believe Posnick told me on the day of my surgery that my LF1 was in fact 3-piece.  This was at like 6am right before the IV went in though so my memory could be playing tricks.

As for financing, I'm aware this would all be out of pocket.  I'm an unmarried young professional with no (institutional) debt and a decent job.  I figure achieving 'peace of mind' about my new facial aesthetics is worth more to me than maximizing my 401k balance at 60 years old.  Peace of mind could be achieved through either a or b above.  At the end of the day I want to be confident that I did all that could/should have been done.  If the answer is "a", then I'd look at some minor lip, chin and/or nose work and be done with it.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »
You are correct that I'm still after my initial question.  The feedback on this forum has been useful, but I want another top surgeon's opinion to either a. settle my mind on what I actually had done or b. articulate some revision option.

Regarding my operation, I believe Posnick told me on the day of my surgery that my LF1 was in fact 3-piece.  This was at like 6am right before the IV went in though so my memory could be playing tricks.

As for financing, I'm aware this would all be out of pocket.  I'm an unmarried young professional with no (institutional) debt and a decent job.  I figure achieving 'peace of mind' about my new facial aesthetics is worth more to me than maximizing my 401k balance at 60 years old.  Peace of mind could be achieved through either a or b above.  At the end of the day I want to be confident that I did all that could/should have been done.  If the answer is "a", then I'd look at some minor lip, chin and/or nose work and be done with it.

Well, not suggesting that you shouldn't consult about revisions. Just suggesting what to consider when you do.

CCW

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »

Have you consulted with Gunson? His consultations are the most informative and thorough in the business.

Wolford is one of the best jaw surgeons or arguably maybe even the best, but he's too eager to recommend TJR as has already been said.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
Have you consulted with Gunson? His consultations are the most informative and thorough in the business.

I've called and they reached out to me by email so I sent my pictures and xrays.  I'm not sure if they'll grant me a consultation as my concerns are aesthetic now since my functional issues were corrected by my initial surgery.

I explained this in the materials I gave them so we'll see. I've head it's hard to get a consultation with him without an orthodontist's recommendation but I'm not sure if that's true.

CCW

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
Gunson has no problem doing surgery for aesthetic reasons only if your dentofacial deformity wasn't properly corrected.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »
Gunson has no problem doing surgery for aesthetic reasons only if your dentofacial deformity wasn't properly corrected.

Well my open bite was closed and jaws were both advanced but I got pretty bad 'chimp lip' from it and my maxilla/subnasal area now dominates my face, with my chin looking retrusive by comparison.  So my actual deformity was corrected but the aesthetic impacts were poor. I'm not sure what he will make of that.