Author Topic: Should I get further surgery? Currently have implants  (Read 1729 times)

eastcoastian1

Should I get further surgery? Currently have implants
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
Hi guys,

Been a while since I’ve posted. Some background, I got the full jaw/chin implant combo about 3 years ago with Dr. Y. While it’s been an improvement, I’m still not exactly where I’d like to be. Profile is admittedly much better than before but front still leaves room to be desired. Dr. Y tends to be conservative to avoid an “overdone” look, but believe it or not it’s still a 10mm difference on each side, something BSSO wouldn’t have been able to do.

I try not to look at photos of myself as I admittedly have major BDD, but of course was on vacation last weekend and got really triggered based on how I looked on a lot of photos.

I’m trying to decide whether to take the implants out and do the full BSSO (have a recessed jaw, overbite and asymmetry of the midline) or possibly even just skip that and do a revision implant. Or, just do nothing (the more you dig in there, the more you risk running into big issues). Even Gunson, whom I’ve visited many times, said after all is said and done, it’s a 50/50 shot on whether surgery will be able to match the aesthetic look of the implant. Obviously if I could do it all over again, I’d do proper jaw surgery and then decide whether to do the implants 6 months after. I kind of cut corners with this one just to get the aesthetic look (which alone had a MASSIVE recovery).

What bothers me the most is first, I wish the angles were a bit wider and sharper (sharper might not be possible as the overlying tissue plays a lot into account), and also, and this is where I get really confused, on some photos my chin looks very wide and very fat and I want to race to trim it down.....but then I’ll take a selfie and it looks small and narrow. Very weird....I don’t know which one is the “real” me. You can see what I mean in the photos.

Anyway, I’ve already consulted with Dr. Relle in LA who rejected me and said to leave well enough alone but interested to hear what you guys think. What changes would you recommend?

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/LFkIPv0

First 4 are now, second 4 are before

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Should I get further surgery? Currently have implants
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Your 'afters' look great, I'm impressed. I certainly wouldn't go for a revision for more advancement. A bimax would be a massive expense, medically and aesthetically risky, and has a chance of relapse.  If your implants aren't causing you problems, leave a great result alone.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
Your 'afters' look great, I'm impressed. I certainly wouldn't go for a revision for more advancement. A bimax would be a massive expense, medically and aesthetically risky, and has a chance of relapse.  If your implants aren't causing you problems, leave a great result alone.

What he said.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »
Anyway, I’ve already consulted with Dr. Relle in LA who rejected me and said to leave well enough alone

Agree with Relle.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
It looks great on these pics. Revising can lead to major issues. Infection, masseter detachement, aestethic problems, scar tissue, etc. If you're happy for 90 percent, don't revise. These procedures are heavy procedures. You will find out afterwards and then it will be too late.

Revision is not always simple. You deal with additional scar tissue that becomes increasingly difficult to handle with each surgery. Fixing problems with soft tissue and masseter muscle is way more difficult than you might think. Also, infection risk is probably 10 maybe 15 percent. You don't want to go down that path.

I know it's difficult to accept soms flaws, but look where you came from. You had major asymmetry before as well.

Reality

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
Out of curiosity: Silicone or Medpore?

eastcoastian1

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:29:18 PM »
Out of curiosity: Silicone or Medpore?

Silicone....didn’t want to risk putting in something that’s very hard to get out.

Reality

• Private
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 11:24:07 PM »
Understand and glad things have worked out for you so far: I'll just echo what others have already stated  - leave well enough alone my friend.

You look good and have a significant improvement.

Cheers,

eastcoastian1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 01:27:30 AM »
Thank you all.

CCW

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 03:39:48 AM »
Gunson could probably improve the profile a little, but the angles and width wouldn't be as good. Only get jaw surgery if you want to get the implants out or you have some functional issues.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:26:32 AM »
If you take out the implants, do jaw surgery, put new implants in, you'll look somewhat better (mainly profile and lip posture)... provided everything goes right.  Jaw surgery can relapse, leave you with massive nerve damage.  New implants can get infected...

eastcoastian1

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
If you take out the implants, do jaw surgery, put new implants in, you'll look somewhat better (mainly profile and lip posture)... provided everything goes right.  Jaw surgery can relapse, leave you with massive nerve damage.  New implants can get infected...

You think it’s worth it?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »

ditterbo

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »
Absolutely not worth touching. Already looks great, you've peaked as far as your jaws are concerned. Look elsewhere or get off the aesthetic improvement game.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
Wow best result I’ve seen with silicone. Looks amazing.As others said leave it be.