Author Topic: I'd like to know how Alfaro can do DJS in such minimal time...  (Read 3502 times)

jawgraphy

Re: I'd like to know how Alfaro can do DJS in such minimal time...
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
My bad if i made a mistake. I guess when I see the nicely edited tutorial videos they make it seem like a simpler, faster, easier process than it really is..?

But at least the results are clear. It seems fairly transparent...

What annoys me in this part of my research journey is how so many websites appear to not even show results?!?! Like...what is going on here? Why would I contemplate choosing you as a surgeon if I can't even take a look to see what you are capable of.

I recently spoke to one surgeon in the UK and he explained he cannot show results as it is against his privacy policy..... I suggested blurring certain facial features to hide their identity and was met with another denial....

jawgraphy

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
Ugh.... do you guys not realize that he peforms the surgery with TWILIGHT not GENERAL ANESTHESIA? And moreover his special technique allows him to do the surgery within 2 hours time instead of the usual 6 (minimum) for regular DJS with a genio. For the lefort part he uses some kind of pinhole surgery technique that is less invasive and subjects you to less surgical trauma (otherwise how could he use twilight?).

Maybe his results are s**ttier? But those two factors make it likely his will heal faster because they have not been subjected to as much trauma.  Residual swelling is BS.

You are basically what you're gonna look like at 6 months.

"Maybe his results are s**ttier? ".... Can i ask why you think that..? I'm genuinely curious that's all. I figured they looked good, but I'm fairly new to this stuff.

Are there any surgeons that you think look way better..? Ideally if they are similarly priced...

Thank you :)

jawgraphy

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
I agree, that broken bone is broken bone and that no technique will let it heal faster.

But recovery phase is not a period, where you do nothing. It is a period, where you try to slow down the process of degenerating your body as good as possible. There is no excuse to not maintain a good nutrition diet (even without chewing), because you can just drink a lot of meal replacement powder. It is more or less cheap for a short period.

The only reason to not drink it, would mean to not drink at all. One of the reason to not drink would be soft tissue discomfort. If there are techniques, which can ease this discomfort so you can maintain a normal nutritional diet (that means drinking your meals), then you won a lot.

Many DJS patients just have a sloppy diet after the surgery, what is the main cause of many problems, which occur during and after the recovery phase (in my oppinion).

"Many DJS patients just have a sloppy diet after the surgery, what is the main cause of many problems, which occur during and after the recovery phase (in my oppinion)."     - Interesting. What 'many negative affects' can poor diet have in your opinion? How can they avoid this..? Just eat nutritious food basically?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »
Perhaps I made a mistake with this. I guess the main message put forward by his videos is more of a 'quick operation time' as opposed to 'quick recovery time'.

Quick operation time is definitely possible. This depends on methods and techniques.

A nice perk of that is you might not need a catheter.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:39 PM »
Quick operation time is definitely possible. This depends on methods and techniques.

A nice perk of that is you might not need a catheter.

My operation was like 8 hours and I had no catheter. I'm never allowing a catheter if I have surgery, I'm just going to tell them to put diapers on me and let me miss myself to sleep.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »
I'm not sure that Alfaro is any worse than the other top surgeons. But Plosko Plus has talked about how his results are inferior because the bite is usually off or off-center. I can't really see it, but I may not be looking at the right portions.

Also, what price did he quote you for DJS? You can DM me on that matter since we don't like to post surgery fees on the forum to discourage price gouging. I have heard that Alfaro is unusually expensive which doesn't make sense since he's a very high volume doctor and his procedure is far quicker (2 hours max) so I don't think it's justified that he charges so higher prices. In addition, if his results aren't as good (i.e. asymmetry and poor bite relations) then f**k THAT MOTHERf**kER.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »
Perhaps I made a mistake with this. I guess the main message put forward by his videos is more of a 'quick operation time' as opposed to 'quick recovery time'.

If you read the link I put up here, (about the technology), there is also a quicker recovery time. Quick operation time has to be with being very high on the learning curve with the technology used.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
My bad if i made a mistake. I guess when I see the nicely edited tutorial videos they make it seem like a simpler, faster, easier process than it really is..?

But at least the results are clear. It seems fairly transparent...

What annoys me in this part of my research journey is how so many websites appear to not even show results?!?! Like...what is going on here? Why would I contemplate choosing you as a surgeon if I can't even take a look to see what you are capable of.

I recently spoke to one surgeon in the UK and he explained he cannot show results as it is against his privacy policy..... I suggested blurring certain facial features to hide their identity and was met with another denial....

I don't know what the rules are in the UK. Some countries used to disallow using patient photos even if ok with patient.  Some places consider putting the photos up on websites marketing. However, if you see patient photos on OTHER UK websites, then the surgeon is just choosing not to show them EVEN IF the patients give an OK. If in person consult, you should look for before/afters. If they still don't show, then keep consulting with others.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
I'm not sure that Alfaro is any worse than the other top surgeons. But Plosko Plus has talked about how his results are inferior because the bite is usually off or off-center. I can't really see it, but I may not be looking at the right portions.

Also, what price did he quote you for DJS? You can DM me on that matter since we don't like to post surgery fees on the forum to discourage price gouging. I have heard that Alfaro is unusually expensive which doesn't make sense since he's a very high volume doctor and his procedure is far quicker (2 hours max) so I don't think it's justified that he charges so higher prices. In addition, if his results aren't as good (i.e. asymmetry and poor bite relations) then f**k THAT MOTHERf**kER.

Kind of what 'surgery first' is all about. It's something where the ORTHO is responsible for approving surgery first and also making sure the bite fits afterwards.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 05:23:56 PM »
Kind of what 'surgery first' is all about. It's something where the ORTHO is responsible for approving surgery first and also making sure the bite fits afterwards.

yeah but if your bite is already good, can he do DJS so your bite is what it was before? so you don't need an ortho?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
yeah but if your bite is already good, can he do DJS so your bite is what it was before? so you don't need an ortho?

If your bite is good, the type of surgery that goes with that is the linear advancement. I think if it's not that, ortho would probably be needed. He has the ortho make the evaluations as to who can have with or without ortho (first or after). That's how the surgery first doctors approach. It's the orthodontist who decides.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »

"Many DJS patients just have a sloppy diet after the surgery, what is the main cause of many problems, which occur during and after the recovery phase (in my oppinion)."     - Interesting. What 'many negative affects' can poor diet have in your opinion? How can they avoid this..? Just eat nutritious food basically?

The main negative effect is just the same like in every surgery: You stop being active for a certain time period. Stop being active accerelates your aging process, that means your body degenerates. The degeneration process is really fast. If Athletes stop doing training for a month, then they are losing 20% of their strength (after 1 month!). And that was just the strength lose. The reduction of your endurance is even faster. Especially losing endurance is really painful, that is what makes you feel really old.

After a DJS this degeneration process is even faster for many patients, because they don't eat well. So yes, what you can basically do is to eat proper. That is possible, if you just drink liquid food and it should be real meal replacement liquid food, not just soups or some smoothis.

For soft tissue healing you need alot of amino acid, so a higher protein intake after a surgery is necessary.

Anyway, I think it was enough offtopic.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:40 AM »
I have heard that Alfaro is unusually expensive

Yes, he is. I know we don't discuss prices here on the forum so I will not go into details but he is very, very expensive by (Western) European standards.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 02:43:10 AM »

I am amazed that anybody agrees to their pictures being used on websites for this reason. My surgeon asked to post my before-afters on his website and offered to change my name and country etc., but I still refused, there is no way I would have agreed in a million years. I don't care if it's blurred or whatever, it is still my face, it is still recognizable. I too noticed that UK surgeons tend not to post before-afters on their websites (if they even have a website) and I like the fact that they respect their patients' privacy. They showed me dozens of before-after pictures in their office when I consulted them in person.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 02:52:21 AM »
Interesting. What 'many negative affects' can poor diet have in your opinion? How can they avoid this..? Just eat nutritious food basically?

Of course poor diet can have a negative effect on anybody, this is common sense. In the case of jaw surgery patients, it is not just poor diet but the fact that many can only consume very limited calories, resulting in severe weight loss, weakness etc. It is not so easy as 'just eat nutritious food' lol; you will not be able to eat anything after jaw surgery, I guess you are aware of that? You can only consume liquids in the beginning, and that too if you are lucky. Straight after surgery I could not even drink water because I could not swallow, they had to give me water through a drip in hospital. Weight loss and malnutrition after jaw surgery is no joke. For weeks after the surgery, my whole time and energy was spent on trying to keep my calorie intake up. It was very, very tough. I am quite a disciplined person and I was one of the lucky few that did not need any bands at all after surgery, but the vast majority are banded shut for weeks after surgery so even drinking is a challenge for them, let alone eating / swallowing anything (of course chewing is out of the question for at least 6 weeks).