Author Topic: I'd like to know how Alfaro can do DJS in such minimal time...  (Read 3501 times)

jawgraphy

As far as I'm aware, DJS is no joke. With many patients recording their journey online showing the weeks and months of recovery, consisting of non-solids, swelling, and pain, etc.

Yet, from what I have seen of Alfaro's technique, unless I am very much mistaken, he can achieve such results with less recovery time...

I'd like to know why this is..

Is the eventual outcome likely to be as good as those with a longer healing process?

Or am I just being taken in by effective marketing...?

Thank you

GJ

• Administrator
Re: I'd like to know how Alfaro can do DJS in such minimal time...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:57:08 AM »
I can't think of any reason his patients would recover faster.

Unless he operates on younger patients mostly, as they do tend to recover faster.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
I don't know where you got such information, because even Alfaro says himself on his website, that residual swelling takes up 18month to disappear. Also he states, that during the first three days swelling reaches its peak. So I don't read anything special, it is the same like everywhere else.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
As far as I'm aware, DJS is no joke. With many patients recording their journey online showing the weeks and months of recovery, consisting of non-solids, swelling, and pain, etc.

Yet, from what I have seen of Alfaro's technique, unless I am very much mistaken, he can achieve such results with less recovery time...

I'd like to know why this is..

Is the eventual outcome likely to be as good as those with a longer healing process?

Or am I just being taken in by effective marketing...?

Thank you

I put up a link about the PIEZOELECTRIC BONE SURGERY and the technology behind it that he's using in the educational section. https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,8318.msg77043.html#msg77043

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 03:46:07 PM »
There's no mystery to me why patients would heal faster with the technology he's using.

But from your response here are you conveying that my attempts to shed light on the type of technology used on this thread: https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,8310.15.html
actually made the concepts behind piezoelectric technology MORE difficult to understand than LESS?
Like is it a matter of you 'can't' think of any reason healing time would be less or you don't want to think about the reason?

Perhaps that might reflect the rest of the population on here.

Well this is a pot shot and should be deleted.

But the bottom line is that many/most surgeons use those techniques, so he shouldn't have any faster recovery times.

So, to reiterate, no there is no reason he should have faster recovery times.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 04:24:49 PM »
Well this is a pot shot and should be deleted.

But the bottom line is that many/most surgeons use those techniques, so he shouldn't have any faster recovery times.

So, to reiterate, no there is no reason he should have faster recovery times.

It would stand to reason that he would because he's combining it with endoscopic technique which I also covered in the other thread. Sorry you took it as a pot shot. It's not as if I thought you 'couldn't' think of any reasons. More of a thing where I thought you would given my prior efforts in the other thread where it appeared you were aware of how the technology allowed for claims of faster healing.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
Ugh.... do you guys not realize that he peforms the surgery with TWILIGHT not GENERAL ANESTHESIA? And moreover his special technique allows him to do the surgery within 2 hours time instead of the usual 6 (minimum) for regular DJS with a genio. For the lefort part he uses some kind of pinhole surgery technique that is less invasive and subjects you to less surgical trauma (otherwise how could he use twilight?).

Maybe his results are s**ttier? But those two factors make it likely his will heal faster because they have not been subjected to as much trauma.  Residual swelling is BS.

You are basically what you're gonna look like at 6 months.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
Ugh.... do you guys not realize that he peforms the surgery with TWILIGHT not GENERAL ANESTHESIA? And moreover his special technique allows him to do the surgery within 2 hours time instead of the usual 6 (minimum) for regular DJS with a genio. For the lefort part he uses some kind of pinhole surgery technique that is less invasive and subjects you to less surgical trauma (otherwise how could he use twilight?).

Maybe his results are s**ttier? But those two factors make it likely his will heal faster because they have not been subjected to as much trauma.  Residual swelling is BS.

You are basically what you're gonna look like at 6 months.
There was a member here who had his "minimally invasive lefort" and ended up with upper jaw numbness. Others who had lower jaw numbness. At the end of the day, nerves are still stretched.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »
There was a member here who had his "minimally invasive lefort" and ended up with upper jaw numbness. Others who had lower jaw numbness. At the end of the day, nerves are still stretched.

That's totally true. There can be no denial that nerves would be stretched (from traction of displacement) and numbness would follow. But who's claiming things like; 'nobody is going to have no numbness' such that it needs to be disclaimed. It ISN'T HIM. It's people who find their way to JSF asking questions AS IF he's claiming that.

In fact, one of the first things that Google kicked up when I searched; 'chin numbness, numbness after jaw surgery' was HIS website where he opened topic on this possibility.  I gotta wonder why some of the people coming to JSF asking about nerve numbness with him don't look on his own website. He's got a whole page about the possibilities of nerve numbness. TLDR types (too long didn't read or too lackadaisical to do any research). So these 'I need to know' (about Alfaro) questions are sometimes people who need to be spoon fed or are looking for either some type of guarantee from here or a poison pill about him. I say this because true knowledge seekers would be seeking out SOURCES, such things as material about piezolectric bone surgery and what's there on his website as to nerves. The former puts things into perspective, especially the shorter healing time, quicker speed of surgery the higher someone is on the learning curve with the technology and why that is so. The latter, most certainly discloses there will be nerve numbness. It's all there to find.

thedude

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 10:03:46 PM »
I mean isn’t the recovery mostly just waiting for new bone to form and strengthen? There is really no way to speed that process up with any surgical technique. Maybe you could take anabolic steroids to speed up bone healing a little.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 11:26:12 PM »
I mean isn’t the recovery mostly just waiting for new bone to form and strengthen? There is really no way to speed that process up with any surgical technique. Maybe you could take anabolic steroids to speed up bone healing a little.

If you have less damage, then you need less recovery time. What would be the case, if the surgeon use some methods, which prevent unnecessary damage.
Also you can speed up recovery by having still a normal nutritional diet, especially with high protein intake.

thedude

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 03:32:55 AM »
If you have less damage, then you need less recovery time. What would be the case, if the surgeon use some methods, which prevent unnecessary damage.
Also you can speed up recovery by having still a normal nutritional diet, especially with high protein intake.
Maybe it’s helpful to break it down into short term and long term recovery.

Short term recovery of soft tissue damage from getting inside the face to cut the bones can be minimized with good surgical technique. Better technique of cutting the bones and attaching fixation will help with post operative swelling too. Some surgeons use more fixation than others which obviously also increases trauma.

Long term recovery of your bones is down to your body though. No matter how you do this surgery you have to sever the bones. It’s the whole point of the surgery. It’s no different than breaking an arm. You wouldn’t break your arm and expect it to heal faster because you went to a better cast maker.

So a better surgeon will get you less swelling post op but it won’t get you eating hard foods any faster.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 08:51:42 AM »

If the recovery is mostly just waiting for the bone to heal, then why not also experience the, discomfort, distortion, recovery from collateral damage of soft tissue while waiting that you could experience without this type of technology?

It's like if I'm waiting for an Amtrack train, then why wait in the VIP room where it's more comfortable than where everybody else waits. The train is still going to take the same time to arrive right? Maybe I could take  some Xanax for the train to come faster.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
Maybe it’s helpful to break it down into short term and long term recovery.

Short term recovery of soft tissue damage from getting inside the face to cut the bones can be minimized with good surgical technique. Better technique of cutting the bones and attaching fixation will help with post operative swelling too. Some surgeons use more fixation than others which obviously also increases trauma.

Long term recovery of your bones is down to your body though. No matter how you do this surgery you have to sever the bones. It’s the whole point of the surgery. It’s no different than breaking an arm. You wouldn’t break your arm and expect it to heal faster because you went to a better cast maker.

So a better surgeon will get you less swelling post op but it won’t get you eating hard foods any faster.

I agree, that broken bone is broken bone and that no technique will let it heal faster.

But recovery phase is not a period, where you do nothing. It is a period, where you try to slow down the process of degenerating your body as good as possible. There is no excuse to not maintain a good nutrition diet (even without chewing), because you can just drink a lot of meal replacement powder. It is more or less cheap for a short period.

The only reason to not drink it, would mean to not drink at all. One of the reason to not drink would be soft tissue discomfort. If there are techniques, which can ease this discomfort so you can maintain a normal nutritional diet (that means drinking your meals), then you won a lot.

Many DJS patients just have a sloppy diet after the surgery, what is the main cause of many problems, which occur during and after the recovery phase (in my oppinion).

jawgraphy

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
I can't think of any reason his patients would recover faster.

Unless he operates on younger patients mostly, as they do tend to recover faster.

Perhaps I made a mistake with this. I guess the main message put forward by his videos is more of a 'quick operation time' as opposed to 'quick recovery time'.