Author Topic: Piet Haers  (Read 20644 times)

marcolob

• Private
Piet Haers
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
has anyone gone with Piet Haers? He is president of the IAMFS

marcolob

• Private
Re: Piet Haers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »
Professor Haers was Editor in Chief of the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (1999 ? 2011) and member of the Executive Committee of the International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. He was elected as President-Elect of IAOMS in November 2011 and will be President in 2014 ? 2015.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »
I've heard of him, does he work with Paul Johnson?

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
haha i just cut and paste that obviously. too lazy to type. i saw him tonight. he seemed awesome, but why has no one mentioned him on here?

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
here's my question tho... he was just as impressive to talk to as gunson when i went to santa barbara... why is one so famous and the other not? does fame reflect in the quality of surgery?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
You can't judge the quality of a surgeon from just talking to him.

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »
I've heard of him, does he work with Paul Johnson?

no i don't think he does.. or maybe he does. he seemed scientific and intelligent to me when i met him. i was also impressed that he said he does high lefort 1s and he traced with his finger on my face where he would do the cuts, right up on my cheekbone, he said "just below the nerve" i don't know what nerve he meant, but having done 2,000 or so i feel i can put my skull/face/jaws in his hands and feel safe. he also said he would do a zygomatic widening on me. one thing which irked me is that he will refuse to treat me if i put braces on without him having consulted the orthodontist and yet i had an appointment later this month to finally get them on. he said he is "difficult" and must oversee the dental movement stage. he said once braces are on "you are in a dynamic phase and you have immediately upset the delicate balance of the bite, although there is a malocclusion, it is at least stable, and if your orthodontist is not clear on where they are going, this is not advisable..." something like that. so yeah, i have to wait till my phone call with schendel to decide if i go with schendel or haers.

i'm also starting to think some surgeons get bigged up way past what they are worth. this guy does not really advertise but he is president of the international association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons... that has got to mean something right? and he said henri thuau, for example, was one of his students back in the day. yet everyone knows thuau and no one knows haers. he mentioned thuau cause i told him that he doesn't do ccwr. when i showed him my plan from gunson he said he can replicate the movements but will not use hydroxyapatite and instead do a higher lefort 1. he also disagreed that i need suborbital rim augmentation. he said that he did not know gunson personally, but that he knows "bill" arnett well, [apparently they went for a beer together at a symposium in barcelona aha]. he wasn't even name dropping, i kept asking him if he knew these other surgeons personally. ultimately, i think it is true that "passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" and often on these forums it is speculation and pseudoscientific guesswork from laypersons that drives hsyteria about which surgeon is "best". talent comes into it, but i'm starting to question how much is "real information".

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
Thuau is older than him, how could he be one of his students?

Interesting account, thanks. He does seem like he actually gives a s**t which is refreshing. I actually like how picky he's being about the braces and bite, that level of micro management can only be a good thing in this kind of field.

I'm tempted to book a consult myself now. Where did you see him, marco?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:23:03 PM by Modigliani »

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
Thuau is older than him, how could he be one of his students?

Interesting account, thanks. He does seem like he actually gives a s**t which is refreshing. I actually like how picky he's being about the braces and bite, that level of micro management can only be a good thing in this kind of field.

I'm tempted to book a consult myself now. Where did you see him, marco?

i saw him at london bridge hospital... a fancy private place right by the shard. go see him. you will like him.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
i saw him at london bridge hospital... a fancy private place right by the shard. go see him. you will like him.

It can't hurt. Did he show you any examples of his work?

I've just had a look, it seems The Royal County is one of his hospitals, same as PJ, must be where I knew the name from.

overbiter

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
You won't believe this but Haers is actually a former student of Sailer's. Yes, the president of the IAMFS was taught by Sailer.

http://www.londonbridgehospital.com/LBH/consultant-det/professor-piet-haers/

overbiter

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »
By the way, he did this guy's surgery. Not bad work.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »
Thank f**k he doesn't share Sailer's aesthetics!

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
Thank f**k he doesn't share Sailer's aesthetics!
Newbie here.. who dafuq is sailer? Is he infamous or something? Also is that pic one of haers' patients?

applejuice

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »
By the way, he did this guy's surgery. Not bad work.

He still has a badly recessed lower lip and a deep sublabial fold?!