Author Topic: Surgeon gave me a morph, should I be adding vertical height?  (Read 12929 times)

MrRochester

Surgeon gave me a morph, should I be adding vertical height?
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
My surgeon's office gave me this morph of how I might look after chin surgery. It is 8mm horizontal advancement and 2-3mm vertical. I am just wondering if the vertical increase is a mistake. Here is the morph he gave me http://imgur.com/a/6FBi0

Sorry to make another thread (my last I promise), but I really want to make certain I do the right thing when I have my surgery in less than a couple of months.

I was looking at this study http://www.angle.org/doi/full/10.2319/050111-311.1

and my chin already roughly corresponds to around AX or AJ (link to picture below - too big to insert as image and don't want to resize). It seems on the longer side of normal to begin with.

This is the front of my face up close http://imgur.com/a/RXJC5

Maybe this is all a bad idea, but I'm scheduled pretty soon. I'd be happy with even a very slight improvement, which is why I might take a very conservative approach to minimize the risk of greatly unbalancing my face.

http://www.angle.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/pinnacle/journals/content/angl/2012/00033219-82.1/050111-311.1/production/images/large/i0003-3219-82-1-88-f01.jpeg

applejuice

Re: Surgeon gave me a morph, should I be adding vertical height?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
I think you dont need the increase in vertical length. Looks too long imo.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
I wouldn't trust those morphs from Mommaerts. Just look at the morph he gave me and what the actual result was.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »
8mm is hardly conservative for a genio, even a chin-wing.

Anyway - because of the angle of your jaw (a little steep) then simply moving things forward (BSSO or sliding genio) will automatically increase the height in the chin - and it will make the slight steepness more obvious  What would give you a better result would be this sliding genio with CCW

MrRochester

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
8mm is hardly conservative for a genio, even a chin-wing.

Anyway - because of the angle of your jaw (a little steep) then simply moving things forward (BSSO or sliding genio) will automatically increase the height in the chin - and it will make the slight steepness more obvious  What would give you a better result would be this sliding genio with CCW

Pretty sure I'm going to cancel with Mommaerts. I was thinking of getting a 4-5mm advancement not the 8mm in the morph so that's what I meant by conservative. However, after reading all the negative reviews, I don't think I'll be comfortable having surgery with him.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have like 25k in my bank account reserved for plastic surgery, but I don't like any of my options regarding my jaw/chin. It's a tradeoff and it seems like neither implants, SG, or chin wing offer pure aesthetic improvement. There is always a tradeoff and you create new flaws (minor though they may be) when you correct existing ones.

As for Kizarq's suggestion, I appreciate it, but there's no way I'm going to endure braces and actual jaw surgery. That's not a realistic, viable option. I'm 27 and regardless of what I decide to do, it's happening within the next six months or never so I can move on with my life.

Maybe I'll just get a nose job and that'll be that. I haven't been dissuaded from that yet at least.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
Pretty sure I'm going to cancel with Mommaerts. I was thinking of getting a 4-5mm advancement not the 8mm in the morph so that's what I meant by conservative. However, after reading all the negative reviews, I don't think I'll be comfortable having surgery with him.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have like 25k in my bank account reserved for plastic surgery, but I don't like any of my options regarding my jaw/chin. It's a tradeoff and it seems like neither implants, SG, or chin wing offer pure aesthetic improvement. There is always a tradeoff and you create new flaws (minor though they may be) when you correct existing ones.

As for Kizarq's suggestion, I appreciate it, but there's no way I'm going to endure braces and actual jaw surgery. That's not a realistic, viable option. I'm 27 and regardless of what I decide to do, it's happening within the next six months or never so I can move on with my life.

Maybe I'll just get a nose job and that'll be that. I haven't been dissuaded from that yet at least.
If you have a bad bite that requires surgical intervention to fix, fix it.  The jaws are the foundation of your face.  Everything else is camouflage.  Plenty of people in their 30s wear braces.  I am 36.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
I agree. You said you had 4 premolar extractions and orthodontics. This means you now have 2 recessed jaws, you need bimax and genio.

MrRochester

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
If you have a bad bite that requires surgical intervention to fix, fix it.  The jaws are the foundation of your face.  Everything else is camouflage.  Plenty of people in their 30s wear braces.  I am 36.

My bite is fine despite my jaws being poorly positioned. Maybe it's because I wore braces for 7 years, and teeth were extracted and flared out. I have no functional issues and don't even mouth breathe (I've recorded myself using a webcam while I browse the internet to see if there's a point at which I mouth breathe and I don't). The surgery would be purely cosmetic, and I'd have to arrange with an orthodontist here in America to then have surgery in Europe (since I don't think any US surgeon would perform it and it would be prohibitively expensive without insurance coverage anyway). So I don't really think that jaw surgery is practical in my particular case. I think I'll just have to settle for nothing

BTW, here is a morph of my face I really like. I'm going to ask if a different surgeon if this can be achieved through implants (or maybe chin wing).  http://imgur.com/a/e4mg7#1

MrRochester

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »
I agree. You said you had 4 premolar extractions and orthodontics. This means you now have 2 recessed jaws, you need bimax and genio.

I had two upper teeth extracted. I believe they were bicuspids.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
My bite is fine despite my jaws being poorly positioned. Maybe it's because I wore braces for 7 years, and teeth were extracted and flared out.

This is just f**king terrible!  I remember classmates in high-school wearing braces for what seemed like forever, and this made me averse to the whole idea as an adult  When I consulted with my surgeon he told me that braces only take a long time when you need to close spaces after extractions.  So that's what they all had!  f**king terrible!

MrRochester

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
No, but if I ever catch up, I'll ask if they had extractions.  It would not have made sense for them to be in braces for so long otherwise.  I'm pretty sure the orthos' fees are always per treatment, rather than per visit or treatment length.  So I don't understand what's in it for them with these ludicrous extraction-based treatment plans?  Why not give the option of surgery?  Ego?  Granted I was in high school 20 years ago, so maybe surgery is much more common now.

My orthodontist told my parents I needed jaw surgery, but they declined. I think he is a bit of a perfectionist and viewed being limited to braces to fix my bite issues as a challenge.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »
i noticed two things from your pictures:

- you have weird discolorations below your eyes. did you ever get yourself checked for sleep apnea or are you wearing some sort of make up in these pics ?

- both of your jaws are recessed but the actual discrepancy between them doesn't seem too big (you'd probably need 6mm upper and 8mm lower advancement and a genio). this would mean you would not have to wear braces for that long. maybe 3-6 months. did you ever seriously consult a surgeon for jaw surgery? i think a short time in braces and jaw surgery would be worth the aesthetic difference compared to a chin wing.

MrRochester

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »
The eye discoloration is a side effect from using Latisse. It is slowly fading.

I'm not sure that upper jaw surgery is necessary since I would be very satisfied with the result in this morph http://imgur.com/a/e4mg7#0 which should be obtainable through sliding genio/chin wing.

I live in America where cosmetic jaw surgery is not usually performed. I would have to get braces and then go to Europe for my surgery. This is not practical really. It would also be incredibly expensive in America since I'm uninsured (probably wouldn't be covered anyway).

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
Do u have any X-rays ? I think your before picture isn't bad either. You just look more mature / masculine in the morph.

MrRochester

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Do u have any X-rays ? I think your before picture isn't bad either. You just look more mature / masculine in the morph.

Here are my x-rays http://imgur.com/a/fEmSD

Here is a morph of what I might look like after sliding genioplasty without a nose job. Not sure if I look more attractive or not. http://i.imgur.com/vZU0tn2.png