Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson  (Read 58498 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Upcoming Sliding Genioplasty with Dr. Gunson - Santa Barbara
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2015, 01:48:44 AM »
What  perfect calculations give a surgeon ? if most of them do not use navigation during surgery ?
Is it possible to set the bone manually exactly as it was planned ? Shorty after first incision a soft tissue become swollen and since that time not everything is clearly visible
It takes a few hours for the swelling to truly kick in.  Also, in orthognathic surgery the bite splint is used as a guide.

Rico

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2015, 01:54:39 AM »
oh yes... bite splint.  in my case too ;) but in other way ;) They are gonna put into my mouth a device as a reference point used by navigation - of course it's another thing :)  but as I see teeth can be used as a reference point in many ways

I've heard that swelling start to appears within 30 minutes ...Hence surgery lasts about few hours, a surgeon can't see results at the end.
Who knows how it really is ?

and if a surgeon performs surgery based on calculations, what kind of  measure devices he uses ? only the eyes :P ?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:20 AM »
oh yes... bite splint.  in my case too ;) but in other way ;) They are gonna put into my mouth a device as a reference point used by navigation - of course it's another thing :)  but as I see teeth can be used as a reference point in many ways
Will you have surgical guides as well?

Rico

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
I will be demonstrated a day before surgery. They need to perform CT for CAS. My right zygoma is going to be set based on  my left  side  (mirroring) and  eventually slight corrections may take place. Configuration will be saved and the surgeon can look at the screen how the bone is actually set comparing to plans.
The surgeon mostly do it manually, but he may check the real exact position whenever he wants. Especially just before and after osteosynthesis - crucial moments

SGseeker

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »
Hey SG,

I'm meeting with Dr. G in october for an SG. The morph you have looks good, evens things out. Its amazing what a chin can do to someones looks. I too have done all my research and it seems like Dr. G is the go-to doctor for this procedure.

Did Dr. G mention anything about metalis strain or anything? I noticed in the 1st pic, your lips don't touch. Did he say that would be improved?

Best,

T

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes the mentalis strain would improve. That is why in the morph model i have lip incompetence before at rest to less/no lip incompetence after. The hope is that at rest my lips would touch.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

SGseeker

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2015, 06:58:39 AM »
I will be demonstrated a day before surgery. They need to perform CT for CAS. My right zygoma is going to be set based on  my left  side  (mirroring) and  eventually slight corrections may take place. Configuration will be saved and the surgeon can look at the screen how the bone is actually set comparing to plans.
The surgeon mostly do it manually, but he may check the real exact position whenever he wants. Especially just before and after osteosynthesis - crucial moments

SG should take anywhere from 45mins to 2 hours (max) :) I think you need to trust in your surgeons skills and results.

ForeverDet

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »
Oops never answered the question on the last page.

Nope, still partially numb on my lower lip, lower gums and entire chin area. That's partial though so I still feel it, I can feel pain (although much less) and I'm not burdened by it. Plus I already had partial numbness on half my lower lip and part of my chin from the genio I had back in 07.

trojans101

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
Maybe one of you two above can answer this. Still have yet to have my consulation, so I will ask this question but..

The one thing I wonder about is if or how an SG will affect my smile? For example, the chin is brought out a bit, would that mean more lower teeth are shown?

Also, what is part of the lower lip is numb as mentioned above; will they make my smile uneven?

Overall, my main concern with SG are my lips and smile. Don't want my smile to change at all. And lips and smile go hand in hand.

Love to hear a response!

Thanks

SGseeker

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »
Maybe one of you two above can answer this. Still have yet to have my consulation, so I will ask this question but..

The one thing I wonder about is if or how an SG will affect my smile? For example, the chin is brought out a bit, would that mean more lower teeth are shown?

Also, what is part of the lower lip is numb as mentioned above; will they make my smile uneven?

Overall, my main concern with SG are my lips and smile. Don't want my smile to change at all. And lips and smile go hand in hand.

Love to hear a response!

Thanks

I don't have an answer but I'd love to read one. I believe the hope is that it would not change too much but you never know there are risks.

ForeverDet

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »

Love to hear a response!

Thanks

It's variable like everything..

But my smile improved when I had the genio by itself. Reason being it affected my lower lip position so when I smiled, I showed less lower teeth. It was excessive before. I had a horizontal genio (with slight upward tipping) so I showed more or less the same amount of lower teeth in repose after.

The rotational genio that Gunson is proposing for SGseeker will apparently improve lip incompetence by changing the posture of the lower lip when relaxed which means more lower lip is covering the lower lip.

After swelling subsides and your muscles have adapted, (partial) numbness shouldn't make your smile uneven by itself. It's purely a sensation issue. At least for most people. 

SGseeker

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »
3 days until surgery. So scared! I'll keep you guys updated. Please send over any recovery tips that you might have. I brought my vitamix all the way to California from Canada for this :D

Thanks for all the help so far everyone :)

terry947

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:21 AM »
Good luck! A&again are one of the best. You'll be on good hands.

trojans101

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
Hey SG,

Had my consult! I have a few questions if you don't mind a PM.

Thanks!

needadvancement

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2015, 06:01:23 AM »
So I'm guessing today is the big day ;) I'm looking forward to you updating us. You've been an inspiration for SG surgery so I hope everything goes well for you.

trojans101

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
I think its tomorrow! Anyway, really look forward to hearing from you SG. Gunson is awesome. Let us know how it goes!  :D :D :D