Author Topic: What are the root causes of unwanted vertical growth of the face?  (Read 31806 times)

ExtractionsRuinFaces

Re: What are the root causes of unwanted vertical growth of the face?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
try harder lol. if your posture is out of an alignment it could take months or years to see consistent improvement. years and years of poor posture takes a long time to unwind. if its your neck it may be harder since that area is much more stubborn. but jaw surgery isnt going to do squat, nada.

Well my dentist is also an osteopath and has been helping with my posture. My spines straighter than it used to be and my posture is better than it used to be but could still be improved. I'll try strengthening my core for better posture.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
Well my dentist is also an osteopath and has been helping with my posture. My spines straighter than it used to be and my posture is better than it used to be but could still be improved. I'll try strengthening my core for better posture.

Who is your ortho now?

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
My profile seems relatively acceptable but if you look closely on my maxilla theres a small gap (was never able to be closed, I had too much room for 2 teeth being taken out, theres also one on the other side of my maxilla) and due to my teeth grinding from an asymmetrical bite I will eventually grind my teeth down so much my lower canine will fit in that gap from grinding.

Yes from profile my bite seems to be within the acceptable range but it is indeed retruded due to the lack of projection from the maxilla and angle of the teeth.. From the front I have alot of soft tissue just laying around my nose-mouth area and it looks pretty nasty when I talk.

As for the dark circles under the eyes im convinced its from lack of support around the eyes (weak orbitals) from down and back growth from the extractions.

The reason I think my nose is also part of it was because it was centred before puberty, no asymmetry. After puberty I have scoliosis, maxilla and mandible asymmetry that ALL deviate in the same direction as my nose. How can that be a coincidence? how did my nose, both jaws and spine deviate in the same direction? I dont believe that can be by chance. A squint nose by itself? sure, genetics. Midline of my teeth off by a few mm? ok fair enough my dad gave me his squint smile. Everything combined? I dont believe it, not for a second. Especially considering I had a crossbite on only ONE side of my mouth when I was younger.

I have been diagnosed with BDD yes but everyone here can agree that my maxilla lacks projection. Everyone here can see my extraction gaps and everyone here can confirm that extractions make you lose facial dimension.

Im focused on fixing myself back to what I originally was, no dished in midface, no recessed jaw or narrow smile. No teeth grinding. No back pain. No posture issues. No gum recession. I do not want things to happen to my face and body that arent natural.

Have you spoken with a surgeon?

I'm not sure if whatever indicated bimaxillary advancement (2-4mm?) is going to satisfy you, given the length and nature of recovery and the relatively small aesthetic change.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
Have you spoken with a surgeon?

I'm not sure if whatever indicated bimaxillary advancement (2-4mm?) is going to satisfy you, given the length and nature of recovery and the relatively small aesthetic change.

Not yet. My midface is sunken and is very obvious, my face looks very fat around the midface. Not sure how recessed it is actually.

CK

• Private
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »
Not yet. My midface is sunken and is very obvious, my face looks very fat around the midface. Not sure how recessed it is actually.

i cant see how extractions caused this. it might just be you. not everyone has super projecting defined midface.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
i cant see how extractions caused this. it might just be you. not everyone has super projecting defined midface.

Nasolobial folds in certain lighting is natural? lol this is news to me.

Im well aware not everyone is supposed to have a super projected midface but you're telling me my profile isnt recessed and that my nasolobial folds (not literally lines but that recessed triangle look from nose to mouth) like this are completely natural for an 18 year old? nobody of any age is suposed to have that concave soft tissue around the midface which leads to premature wrinkling.

Under no circumstances is that natural for ANYONE of my age.

CK

• Private
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
well it is crazy but the bones are super malleable at that age. doesnt surprise me at all, but that sounds a bit suspicious. sleeping on one side causes abnormal growth??

pekay

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
well it is crazy but the bones are super malleable at that age. doesnt surprise me at all, but that sounds a bit suspicious. sleeping on one side causes abnormal growth??

LOL, I don't buy it either.

I read somewhere that growth spurts during puberty can cause either the upper jaw to grow vertically (Class II) or the lower jaw/mandible to grow horizontally (Class III) that sorta makes sense to me because I've seen a lot of people say ~~"puberty is when things went sour for me"
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
LOL, I don't buy it either.

I read somewhere that growth spurts during puberty can cause either the upper jaw to grow vertically (Class II) or the lower jaw/mandible to grow horizontally (Class III) that sorta makes sense to me because I've seen a lot of people say ~~"puberty is when things went sour for me"

yea i agree. i dont think puberty itself causes abnormal growth but rather that is a critical time and the face as well as the body is highly vulnerable to the environment. seeing so many people with similar superficial traits and characteristics and reportedly no familial genetic background that explains the result suggests there is a greater relationship with the environment. not saying it is a cause 100% of the time but highly correlated. if people become more aware of this (especially parents) than emphasis on preventative care becomes more important.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
That sounds absolutely brutal :| fml.

I made a thread about it a while ago, if theres a post history for me on here you can find it. I had 2 upper teeth extracted (biscupids) at either 13 or 14.

I've been feeling around my midface but its hard to tell if my cheekbones are sitting directly above my maxilla. That would surely take away all prominence you couldve had which would suck. I do have central scleral show and some discolouration under my eyes. The dished in midface also.

Will a surgeon be able to go indepth with me about all of this? im really anxious about it. I would absolutely hate to have had vertical growth that was not supposed to happen. Its maddening even thinking about it.

edit: Here is a ceph of my skull from profile. Do you know how to examine/read them?

I'm embarrassed to say that I can read cephs (spent too much time learning this) and if you'd like can give you a summary sheet of where your values fit in with the norms.

I can tell you right now you do not have a long lower face. I can do the calculations if you'd like. There are a few indicators that are used to evaluate clockwise rotation of the mandible.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say that I can read cephs (spent too much time learning this) and if you'd like can give you a summary sheet of where your values fit in with the norms.

I can tell you right now you do not have a long lower face. I can do the calculations if you'd like. There are a few indicators that are used to evaluate clockwise rotation of the mandible.

That would be great. By long lower face do you mean recessed?

pekay

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
That would be great. By long lower face do you mean recessed?

Yes, but you don't have this.

afaik vertical growth always pushes the lower jaw downwards.
Chopsticks > Spoons

notrain

• Private
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 06:41:34 AM »
http://www.reddit.com/tb/1jp4kc

would this be a case where braces / headgear caused unwanted vertical (downward) growth? he wore headgear in 3rd grade and it looks like he had orthodontics for several years when he was very young. his face / skull looks long and narrow...

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 12:21:38 AM »
This is an old post but following on from extractionsruinsfaces post, I've been looking a lot in to vertical vs horizontal faces and starting to drive myself crazy it's gotten to the point its's causing me anxiety on top of this my occlusion if f***ed because of that damn alf appliance!

I really hope I havn't got vertical growth.

Here is my lat ceph of my skull from profile. Does anyone know how to read them?

I feel the position of my lower jaw is wrong when I move it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:13:22 AM by backward lowerjaw »