Author Topic: Maurice Mommaerts  (Read 56763 times)

CK

• Private
Re: More Mommaerts
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
Is this true LFS? She's a comedian in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2361878/Laugh-Miranda-Hart-release-fitness-DVD.html

definitely an elongated midface and gummy smile suggests maybe a variant of lfs but it's hard to say. certainly people with long midfaces and gummy smiles don't necessarily have a deformity. some people are just like that.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 03:25:49 AM »
Interesting. I always just assumed that LFS was the collection of (unfortunate) physical characteristics you listed above. The very fact they deviate from the norm is a deformity, no?

CK

• Private
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Interesting. I always just assumed that LFS was the collection of (unfortunate) physical characteristics you listed above. The very fact they deviate from the norm is a deformity, no?

well not necessarily. there are only a few genetic conditions that manifest lfs, namely enlarged adenoids or adenoid facies. also FAS can present superficial lfs conditions but not always.

some people just have a long midface (e.g richard gere, marko jaric).

as ive talked about a lot when it comes to growth influenced by the environment there is no real standard. people's faces will react differently because there are so many factors - cause of growth, duration, amount of applied force and direction and the person's own genetics. ive seen extreme cases and mild cases.

the real issue we should be asking is how orthos and dentists have gone so long without accepting the role of growth in their profession, such as allowing backwards treatments (headgear for example) in spite of overwhelming research that concluded beyond a doubt headgear undermines facial growth.

i dont know if headgear continues to be used. but extractions are still performed for trivial reasons (crowding LOL) and the novelty appliances orthos pick up at industry conferences that claim to grow the jaw etc...

when this is dealt with and the industry is reformed i guarantee you we will be seeing seeing far less people growing up to have long face syndrome and many other problems.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
True CK

Moon Pix 1985

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 03:31:24 AM »
I remember somebody saying to me once on a forum that they were suspicious of Mommaerts reputation because there were so few before and afters floating around at the time. He was convinced it was marketing hype.

What do you guys think? Does Mommaerts deserve his rep?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:14 AM »
I had surgery with him recently and I'm not really sure what to think. What I can tell you right now is that his department is completely disorganized and he has his students (or whatever they are) doing most of the work for him. I've seen posts here wondering why his prices have gone up and it may just be because no one there has any clue as to what's going on so it's possible that the actual cost will be significantly higher (or lower as in my case). I was given six different cost estimates for the same surgery (the lowest was 5000 euro and the highest over 20k euro) and in the period of just one year I was contacted by no less than five different assistants of his that didn't seem to have access to any previous communication I've had with his department. My advice is to contact Mommaerts directly if there's anything important because his assistants often neglect to answer e-mails and Mommaerts himself will sometimes answer in just minutes.

The lack of organization is also a big problem when you have to do anything at the hospital because the hospital wants to bill you for every little thing even though you're only supposed to do a lump payment directly to Mommaerts' department (someone at the hospital just nodded and told me that his department was a bit special when I tried to explain things). I had trouble getting admitted to the hospital the night before the surgery because the hospital couldn't confirm that I had paid anything. The post-op consultation was supposed to be free (or covered by the cost of the surgery) but I ended up having to pay 175 euro for it because the hospital itself seemed out of touch with Mommaerts' department.

UPDATE: I recommend everyone to stay far away from Mommaerts. There have been numerous people on this forum who have had failed surgeries with him and his attitude about it just plain stinks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:55:49 AM by Gregor Samsa »

sean89

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
I had surgery with him recently and I'm not really sure what to think. What I can tell you right now is that his department is completely disorganized and he has his students (or whatever they are) doing most of the work for him. I've seen posts here wondering why his prices have gone up and it may just be because no one there has any clue as to what's going on so it's possible that the actual cost will be significantly higher (or lower as in my case). I was given six different cost estimates for the same surgery (the lowest was 5000 euro and the highest over 20k euro) and in the period of just one year I was contacted by no less than five different assistants of his that didn't seem to have access to any previous communication I've had with his department. My advice is to contact Mommaerts directly if there's anything important because his assistants often neglect to answer e-mails and Mommaerts himself will sometimes answer in just minutes.

The lack of organization is also a big problem when you have to do anything at the hospital because the hospital wants to bill you for every little thing even though you're only supposed to do a lump payment directly to Mommaerts' department (someone at the hospital just nodded and told me that his department was a bit special when I tried to explain things). I had trouble getting admitted to the hospital the night before the surgery because the hospital couldn't confirm that I had paid anything. The post-op consultation was supposed to be free (or covered by the cost of the surgery) but I ended up having to pay 175 euro for it because the hospital itself seemed out of touch with Mommaerts' department.

I don't think this is anything that should persuade you from having surgery with him if you have confidence in his ability as a surgeon but I am very worried about how he behaved himself when I started questioning the surgery result at the post-op consultation. Right now it's too early to tell if my surgery with him was a complete disaster but it's not looking good at the moment...

Thanks for your update.

What surgery did you have? Are you male or female?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Thanks for your update.

What surgery did you have? Are you male or female?

Gregor Samsa you deserve major rewards for being so honest and sharing your experience. Great karma there saving people from a potentially unpleasant experience. These are the things you should look for for sure. In addition to great results and patient satisfaction you should ensure your doc is extremely focussed on YOU during consults and discussions and is really there to listen to and address your needs and moreover is committed to the long-term post-op timeline of your care.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:02:40 AM »
Gregor Samsa you deserve major rewards for being so honest and sharing your experience. Great karma there saving people from a potentially unpleasant experience. These are the things you should look for for sure. In addition to great results and patient satisfaction you should ensure your doc is extremely focussed on YOU during consults and discussions and is really there to listen to and address your needs and moreover is committed to the long-term post-op timeline of your care.

I agree. It takes balls to post your pics 10 days after a potentially unsuccessful operation. kudos to gregor for doing it.

applejuice

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »
10 days is too early to judge the result. It takes easily 3 months for the soft tissue, muscles to adapt to the new skeletal structure.
That being said im 3 months post op (not with mommaerts) and im very disappointed about my result :D

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »
10 days is too early to judge the result. It takes easily 3 months for the soft tissue, muscles to adapt to the new skeletal structure.
Understood, but surely you can't expect more projection further down the road, that's what Gregor's complaint relates to.
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

applejuice

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 04:06:28 AM »
Ok sorry, i didnt see his pictures. I guess they are in the private forum?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 05:38:11 AM »
Ok sorry, i didnt see his pictures. I guess they are in the private forum?

yes, they are and his complaints are valid. why are you disappointed from your surgery? who was your surgeon ?

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
Thus far I have read accounts from 7 male Mommaerts patients, 5 were unhappy with their outcome, this doesn't bode well...
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

applejuice

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:42 AM »
yes, they are and his complaints are valid. why are you disappointed from your surgery? who was your surgeon ?
I look underdone. Basically the same as before. It's laughable  :o I will open a thread once i have new xrays and my records.