Author Topic: The pointlessness of everything.  (Read 31241 times)

tdawg

• Private
The pointlessness of everything.
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
Do you ever wonder what the point of life is? I guess it is easier if you believe in a religion but I do not. The way I see it, whether I succeed or fail, I am going to end up as dust eventually. 100 years from now very few people will even remember who I was. 200 years from now in all likelihood nobody will remember who I was.

How do you find purpose? Everybody wants to change the world, but very few people do and most of the time it isnt for the better. The only way I think I will be able to find purpose is through work("prosecuting criminals", or "representing people who were wronged") But even then you are ultimately still just a small pawn in a large game. A piece of an imperfect system where most of the time the result is determined long before you even begin work.

My(and imo almost everybody's) existence is basically meaningless.

Marisama

• Private
Re: The pointlessness of everything.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »
I can see how it would be difficult to see purpose without faith. Just moving my finger leads me to believe that there is a higher power. God and religion can seem far fetched and evermore so in today's technological world, but faith gives hope that there is purpose.

Also, even presently, it's not the opinion of others that should give one purpose. If you have people in your live that make you happy or find things to do in life that bring you joy, this should be enough to give you some meaning of life.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
It makes sense, but its easier said than done.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
Its not so much people remembering you. That was just the best example I could use to explain a feeling that is hard to put into words. Its hard to describe other than just saying that everything is meaningless, because it is usually hard to describe a lack of something.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
For once I am not trying to be logical.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
I don't know what happens when we die and I'm okay not knowing.  For me, lifelong learning and searching gives me purpose.  Everyday I learn more about who I am as a person and what I stand for / am capable of.  Also the connections I make with other people and the relationships I build give me purpose.  

Just think, no one knows you better than you do and no one ever will.  You are in possesstion of one of the greatest mysteries of the world (your individual human mind).  That's pretty powerful.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
im just waiting for the next season of game of thrones to be perfectly honest. that's enough purpose/will to live imo.

Haha.  Can't wait for that either!  At least I have "Breaking Bad" to hold me over.

Antbee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
This may sound both like the musings of a mental patient and/or highly wanky (as we like to say in Britain) so there's that preface, but:

some years ago I had what I now see was a sort of existential crisis. I couldn't see the point of anything because, clearly there is none. This is the human condition. Realizing that seemed like peering into a deep dark hole at the time. I gave this some serious thought and decided that while there is no point as such to our consciousness, what made existence seem magical to me again was our ability to appreciate beauty (not necessarily physical, I mean in every respect). That appreciation also links to the other part of what makes life seem like a worthwhile pursuit: Our ability to make and communicate through art, whatever form that may take. I wish I could remember where I read a quote on this subject so I could recall it correctly but it goes something like, 'when all else is gone, art is the footprint that remains of humanity'. I'm butchering the wording, but hopefully someone sees what I'm on about. That and kindness - a form of beauty of course, but specifically, the receipt of kindness in its pure form is a reason for anyone to find faith in living.

I know, it's wanky, you were warned.

Jack

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Yeah you guys are such major wankers!!!! Holy s**t, you know the whole "do your looks determines your personality" thread? Well, clearly the answer is a RESOUNDING YES!!
People with weak jaws are a bunch of depressive, ineffectual, navel gazing wankers!

You want to know what a person with a REAL JAW is like? I'm talking about someone with chiselled features, a strong square chin, gonal angles the measure 90 degrees, a real lantern jaw juggernaut!
I'm talking about Arnold! And this is the type of answer a man with a real jaw gives to questions about the point of life!!!

Conan, what is best in life?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
Just for the record, I may be one of many who are annoyed with Jack.  Is this a common theme in your life?

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
I think happiness is pretty much the only thing that matters in life. Looks are a HUGE part of happiness, which is why I'm doing everything I can to improve my looks.

Heavyweight

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »
Yeah you guys are such major wankers!!!! Holy s**t, you know the whole "do your looks determines your personality" thread? Well, clearly the answer is a RESOUNDING YES!!
People with weak jaws are a bunch of depressive, ineffectual, navel gazing wankers!

You want to know what a person with a REAL JAW is like? I'm talking about someone with chiselled features, a strong square chin, gonal angles the measure 90 degrees, a real lantern jaw juggernaut!
I'm talking about Arnold! And this is the type of answer a man with a real jaw gives to questions about the point of life!!!

You're pretty blunt, but I agree with most of this. If you have weak jaws and a weak chin, you are pretty much a loser automatically. However, you can't just correct the jaws and become attractive -- there's so much more that goes into attractiveness. Handsome men not only have large jaws and chins but also large cheekbones, prominent brow ridges, thick eyebrows, wide foreheads, and relatively compact midfaces. Most weak-jawed betas don't have any of these features, so you need to correct all of these problems so that larger jaws don't seem out of place.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
There's therapy.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »
Anyway, I think the moral of the story is that we only live one life.  What's the point of going through life with a deficient jaw or rather anything health related issue that can be fixed?  

Heavyweight

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
this i understand. but i've known plenty of people with no chin/weak jaw that had no challenge hooking up and having friends. if something is truly bothering you then fix it, but you can't expect it to reverse years of self-loathing and obsession.

Some people with weak jaws look a lot better than other people with weak jaws. If you have bad jaws and good features, you can probably live a normal life, but if you have bad jaws and unattractive features, you're pretty much screwed.