Author Topic: Surgery Outcome  (Read 13267 times)

sean89

Surgery Outcome
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Just thought I'd let everyone know how I got on as a thank you for their contributions to the forum, especially those I have exchanged private messages with.

Anyway, I had chin-wing surgery with Ramin Zarrinbal. I am class 2, and didn't want to undergo BSSO because of the time to wait in braces, I didn't want to mess with my bite, and the fact that the proposed advancement wouldn't have been that significant (probably below 5mm). I also had a weak chin.

I'm a few weeks after surgery now, and my chin and lower lip is still probably 20% numb but getting better every day. By shortening my chin, my lower lip incompetence has improved, but for some reason, I have acquired a mild lisp and I have to speak by pushing my tongue to the front of my mouth. In relation to this aspect of the surgery only, I regret not getting a BSSO (because it would have created more room for my tongue).

Aesthetically, it has been a big improvement. Zarrinbal says he prefers to decide the movements during surgery and subscribes to the facial thirds theory as well as the idea that the chin should be around 85 degrees from the lower lip. But I told him that I wanted a big chin advancement, and was worried about shortening my face too much, and consequently, I think my chin was advanced about 7mm and shortened by 2mm. Though I'm still on the fence about the shortening, I think my chin has been advanced a perfect amount, and I am extremely satisfied with the outcome. Also, there is no issue with sublabial fold, and I think that, for men at least, having no sublabial fold is as bad as having huge sublabial fold.

My jaw angles have also improved significantly, but there is a limit to how much they can be improved without breaking the jaw. It isn't a case of being able to design your perfect jawline and asking the surgeon to recreate it. You are, to a certain extent, limited by what you've already got. But again, I'd probably score my satisfaction as an 8/10 in relation to the angular changes.

My jaw has also widened, but I think it looked better when I had a small amount of swelling. He also made me aware of the potential for the bone graft to recede over time, and for the jaw to get gradually narrower.

My lower lip is still behind my upper lip and, in that sense, the procedure has not completely camouflaged my class 2 skull. So while I haven't achieved the perfect jaw with the surgery (and possibly still require a BSSO to do so), I am at the stage where I am satisfied with my jaw, aesthetically at least, and cannot really foresee me spending any more money or time worrying about it. Because of my chin advancement, I have stopped posturing my jaw because I look worse if I do (chin looks too big even though lips align).

I asked Zarrinbal whether he is happy to take on overseas patients, but he said that he would be reluctant to take on those patients that want to fly out the next day, and he says that he is very busy at the moment but agrees that being busy is better than the alternative. He seems very caring, and I cannot recommend him enough, but I would be very cautious about using him for traditional orthognathic surgery (or any other overseas surgeon) due to the delay in responding to emails.

As for those on the forum considering Triaca, Zarrinbal was very positive about him and told me that he learnt the technique amongst others at Lake Constance (I think) around 10 years ago. But if you cannot afford Triaca, I would certainly recommend Zarrinbal.

I'll have to be brusk now, but my hip is fully healed (took 1 week) and overall I'd rate aesthetic improvement as 8/10. Also, I am not going to share photos (sorry) but there are photos already out there of post chin-wing patients.

Gregor Samsa

Re: Surgery Outcome
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:49 AM »
I'm glad it worked out well for you. Zarrinbal has always seemed competent to me but I've avoided him because of the practical problems you mentioned.

applejuice

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Thanks for your report. Im considering Chin Wing surgery with Zarrinbal, too. If you could bring yourself to send me pics of your lower face, i would be very grateful.

MrRochester

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
Congrats! Boy am I jealous. Based upon what you're saying about the jaw angle changes I wish I had pestered Zarrinbal a bit more for a surgery date and gotten a chin wing instead of sliding genio. Too late now I guess.

How noticeable are the changes from the front? Could you by any chance send me a picture by PM (or post one for everyone's benefit)?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
but my hip is fully healed (took 1 week)

Did you have a bone graft?

pekay

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Can you post your post-op X-ray? I'm interested to see what the gear looks like for the chin-wing.
Chopsticks > Spoons

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
Wow, you kept that quiet, you sly old dog you!
So glad that you're pleased, it's about time we had some success stories on the board!

Congrats!   ;)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Congrats! I'm really happy for you.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. So, so happy you're pleased with the results!

sean89

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »
Congrats! Boy am I jealous. Based upon what you're saying about the jaw angle changes I wish I had pestered Zarrinbal a bit more for a surgery date and gotten a chin wing instead of sliding genio. Too late now I guess.

How noticeable are the changes from the front? Could you by any chance send me a picture by PM (or post one for everyone's benefit)?

From the front, I look a lot better since the operation. My face used to be oval-shaped, now it is noticeably tapered. I haven't suddenly become Ashton Kutcher, but I am very pleased with the changes from the front even if I did prefer it when I had a little swelling.

Did you have a bone graft?

Yes, I was told it was a big bone graft given the scale of the chin advancement. After I first had it, it hurt to walk and sit up, and then after about two weeks, the only pain I got (in the hip area) was from sneezing. After about 3 weeks, I was back to normal and able to run.

On another note, I should say that, on day 3, my facial swelling was absolutely enormous and the people I saw clearly thought I was a freak and tried to avoid eye contact with me. Be prepared. Also, the liquid diet devastated me but I'm on soft-foods now.

Can you post your post-op X-ray? I'm interested to see what the gear looks like for the chin-wing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
Good to hear that your hip healed relatively painlessly! What's your hip scar like?
I'm going to need one for maxillary downgraft, am really scared!

Also, I thought you were a fellow Manc, or at least from the UK. How come Z played ball?

pekay

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »
thanks for the x-ray, looks very interesting. how many mm did you have advanced?
Chopsticks > Spoons

sean89

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Good to hear that your hip healed relatively painlessly! What's your hip scar like?
I'm going to need one for maxillary downgraft, am really scared!

Also, I thought you were a fellow Manc, or at least from the UK. How come Z played ball?

My hip scar is pretty bad actually but I suppose it's early days yet, but it's not something I'm bothered about tbh.

Yeah, I'm from the north. I go to Manchester quite often - if you're ever in the city centre and are interested in the operation, I'll happily show you some before/afters.

I dunno why he took me on. I think I'm his first foreign patient to undergo surgery but he said he'd consulted with people from Israel and the Ukraine. It's obviously easier to treat Germans since the contract was in German, and the receptionists only speak German, but for whatever reason, he was happy to treat me. 

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »
My hip scar is pretty bad actually but I suppose it's early days yet, but it's not something I'm bothered about tbh.

Wouldn't stress.  Copper peptide serum and silicone gel now, then fraxel after.  You're white, right? It won't show

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
Wouldn't stress.  Copper peptide serum and silicone gel now, then fraxel after.  You're white, right? It won't show

I'm white as a snowflake and I scar real badly. Body scars tend to be worse since the skin there get stretched constantly. A scar on the hip is nothing to worry about though.