Author Topic: Xrays and CBCT imaging and radiation exposure  (Read 1530 times)

holly98

Xrays and CBCT imaging and radiation exposure
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »
I feel like I have had WAYYY too many xrays and CBCT imagining scans.  I'm 20 and I've had probably 4 CBCT imaging scans (three before surgery one after surgery) and about 10 Xrays throughout my orthodontic treatment  and before and after jaw surgery. 
I am quite worried about the level or radiation I've been exposed to.  Does anyone else have similar concerns and do you do anything in particular to try and combat all that radiation exposure?
I'm looking to have a revision surgery but I do not want more radiation in my life...
Thoughts?

april

• Private
Re: Xrays and CBCT imaging and radiation exposure
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
I haven't really thought about it... but now when I add it all up, over my life, I've probably had over 20 xrays in some form or another (dental, chest), 1 CT, 4 CBCTs, 1 SPECT CT (bone scan while injected with radioactive stuff). Some have yielded completely useless information anyway-- whether it be that they were done wrong, or just weren't clinically applied or cared about e.g my orthodontist didn't even bother to look at my recent xrays/CBCT images, which show I have root resorption.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:22:11 PM by april »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:22:17 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
Look up Life Extension X-R shield. /thread

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 04:19:23 AM »
Negligible IMO. The increase in risk for developing cancers is tiny, you'd be better off minimising risk through other avenues. There are far bigger causes totally out of our control, some people have genes that increase their risk for developing certain cancers by 4-10x, that's much more of a concern than getting something like a years worth of radiation in one go.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:28:03 AM by ExtractionsRuinFaces »

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »
It shows a wide range of equivalent days of background radiation of 4 to 25 days depending on the setting so it's not terribly high.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q11138.html