Author Topic: Maurice Mommaerts  (Read 56893 times)

notrain

• Private
Re: More Mommaerts
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
can you PM me the name of your surgeon?

the thing with just bsso is, that you have to choose between aesthetics and proper bite. if i choose the bsso plan proposed to me, i will have a class 1 jaw and a class 3 dental relationship. you probably ended up with a class 1 bite and (slightly less severe) class 2 jaw. if i want both class 1 jaws and bite, i have to get bimax with upper and lower premolar extractions. i am still not sure what to do.

applejuice

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
I wont tell the surgeon's name until he had the chance to explain the situation or offer a revision/refund. I think that's simple decency.
A little bit of ccw or advancement of both jaws doesnt chance the bite.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
There seem to be a number of people floating about at the moment who were either proposed or got pretty small BSSO movements.  Sean89, weren't you quoted something mad like 3mm?

I think for a significant number of people, they can only get about a 6mm lower advancement after full decomp, when aesthetically they need more.  The only option in this case is either to gte extractions or bimax with CCW.  Given I've already had molar extractions I don't feel getting my premolars yanked is an option (lack of support, shrinking arch, gum damage etc etc).  It might not be so disasterous for those who have never had extractions and don't have space for their 3rd molars.

Your xray looks very similar to mine. As a girl you might get away with a slightly recessed look but it would probably still suck.
Consult with other surgeons. I consulted with 2 and that wasnt enough :(

You can easily simulate the result of a lower jaw advancement for yourself. Just push your lower jaw forward with relaxed lips. This is 95% the result you will get.
The surgeons persuaded me that it would look better ie less recessed. But that did not happen. Dont get fooled like me.

If I do this, then to my eye, a 6mm bone advancement (so let's say 4mm of soft tissue) is not nearly enough.  I can't get the additional movement from a genio as I've had about 3-4mm advancement from my chinplant already.

The question is, is why is MM proposing small BSSOs as opposed to bimaxes for private patients?  He has good experience, and does CCW in some cases, so what are we missing here??  It's not like he has no experience in CCW

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
I wont tell the surgeon's name until he had the chance to explain the situation or offer a revision/refund. I think that's simple decency.

I think you can forget about that. Allow me to quote Mommaerts:
Doctors are paid for their effort, not for the result.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
I think for a significant number of people, they can only get about a 6mm lower advancement after full decomp, when aesthetically they need more.  The only option in this case is either to gte extractions or bimax with CCW.

What about the situation where you need upper jaw advancement but the teeth will only allow about 6 mm movement after full decompensation?

applejuice

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »
There seem to be a number of people floating about at the moment who were either proposed or got pretty small BSSO movements.  Sean89, weren't you quoted something mad like 3mm?

I think for a significant number of people, they can only get about a 6mm lower advancement after full decomp, when aesthetically they need more.  The only option in this case is either to gte extractions or bimax with CCW.  Given I've already had molar extractions I don't feel getting my premolars yanked is an option (lack of support, shrinking arch, gum damage etc etc).  It might not be so disasterous for those who have never had extractions and don't have space for their 3rd molars.

If I do this, then to my eye, a 6mm bone advancement (so let's say 4mm of soft tissue) is not nearly enough.  I can't get the additional movement from a genio as I've had about 3-4mm advancement from my chinplant already.

The question is, is why is MM proposing small BSSOs as opposed to bimaxes for private patients?  He has good experience, and does CCW in some cases, so what are we missing here??  It's not like he has no experience in CCW

I think most surgeons do rather BSSO than CCW because it's easier and has less risk of relapse. I read studies showing the softtissue response of BSSO is at most 60% and often well below.
I get a perfect soft tissue profile when i push my jaw to a class 3 bite  ;D

I think you can forget about that. Allow me to quote Mommaerts:

Thanks for your encouragement   :D

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Wow, Gregor, what an unpleasant man he is.

What is your next step, are you going to pursue him or move on?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Wow, Gregor, what an unpleasant man he is.

What is your next step, are you going to pursue him or move on?

I'm just going to move on. I'm seeing my orthodontist soon so I'll let her evaluate my current bite and see what can be done. The funny thing is that Mommaerts still maintains that I got an optimal surgery result but I don't think he has seen any x-rays since the surgery (I can't remember taking any). I can certainly see things from his point of view (he says further advancement would've ruined my bite) but it's a bit too late to raise these concerns after the surgery has already been done when I've made it clear all along that I was doing it for the aesthetical result. I don't look anything close to the morphs he gave me and that's a big problem in my opinion.

All I can say is that you would have to be crazy to consider Mommaerts if you're after a good aesthetical result. I thought he had a different mindset than most European surgeons who still only consider the functional aspect of the surgery but I guess I was wrong. Considering what he has written me it doesn't seem like he wants anyone of you as a patient anyway.  ;D

My next step is finding a good surgeon that can evaluate the result. If I can't find anyone in Europe then I guess I'll have to see Arnett/Gunson but no matter how good they might be I find it hard to justify the cost of surgery with them.

applejuice

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
Well better pay too much and get the result you want than pay too little and get a s**tty result. That's how i see it now.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »

MM's recommendation for me was bimax + lower premolar ex + submental lipo...

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
What about the situation where you need upper jaw advancement but the teeth will only allow about 6 mm movement after full decompensation?

Dunno - I guess either extractions in the upper arch ( :-\)or maybe the the opposite of CCW on the upper jaw - that is to say, CW on the lower jaw to rotate the lower incisors out, allowing for upper advancement.   Not sure that would work? Never seen/heard of that done

Or, bimax advancement and a genio to shorten.  However then there might be potential for looking chimplike....

MM's recommendation for me was bimax + lower premolar ex + submental lipo...

Yes but isn't your upper jaw also recessed? 

If I can't find anyone in Europe

Is there any surgeon in Europe that we think is solid, has decent before/afters and has good appreciation of bite and aesthetics??  And is not too conservative?

Stupidjaws surgeon was in Italy I believe, yes?  I'm getting confused with names.  And someone in either Germany, Belgium or Netherlands...think it was Belgium with a Flemish name??

applejuice

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
Albino Triaca might be a candidate.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
Yes but isn't your upper jaw also recessed? 

This was said during my first consult without any ceph tracings. I will know for sure in 2 weeks, but obviously bimax gives surgeon and ortho the best option to put bone and teeth in a satisfying relationship.

I also second what was being said about Albino Triaca and his colleague, Dr. Brusco. Unfortunately, their prices are skighhigh due to the strong swiss franc :(

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »
That man has clearly lost the plot in the most frightening of ways.
Is it worth consulting with a solicitor I wonder?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
I just found this thread randomly while searching for opinions about another surgeon: http://lookyourbestuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51297&p=500220

Who else could they be discussing but Mommaerts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:58:58 PM by Gregor Samsa »