Author Topic: More Surgery?  (Read 38780 times)

Eroica

More Surgery?
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
After your orthognathic surgery is done, do you plan on having any more aesthetic surgeries?

In my case, I will definitely:

1. Need my chin lengthened via genioplasty, while adding minimal horizontal projection. I should be able to get this done at the same time as my jaw surgery.

2. Need to augment my deficient frontal orbital rim area, without adding any width to this area as it is already quite broad and flaring. I will have to travel to the United States for this as I know of no surgeons in Europe who are skilled with the placement of orbital rim implants.

And I might:

1. Get a conservative rhinoplasty. This depends on how my nose looks after my jaw surgery. I like my nose overall but, like many people with a deficient maxillary area, there is a slight crook in the profile view.

2. Get jaw implants. This is a big "maybe" since my jaw already has a good V-shaped contour, it's just slightly narrower than I would like.

Heavyweight

Re: More Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
Absolutely. I'm planning to get a lot more surgery after jaw surgery. I would get several procedures now, but jaw surgery will change my face so dramatically that I'd rather wait. Also, I'll likely be getting several cosmetic procedures during jaw surgery (chin advancement, cheek grafts, and jaw grafts).

Here's what I'm planning after jaw surgery:

1. Rhinoplasty

- My nose is a mess. It's overprojected, crooked, long, and humped. Jaw surgery will improve it to some extent, but I will undoubtedly need a rhinioplasty to get the nose I want.

2. Otoplasty

- My earlobes are really big, and my ears are a bit asymmetrical. I'm definitely getting my earlobes reduced, and I might get an otoplasty, depending on what my surgeon thinks.

3. Orbital rim augmentation

- My orbital area is really lacking, and the skin around it is already sagging. I'll probably get some HA grafts inserted into this area, unless Dr. Arnett can do it during jaw surgery

4. Brow augmentation and brow lowering

- My brow area is really weak and my eyebrows are too thin, high, and arched. I'd like to get my eyebrows lowered and build up the bone in this area.

5. Zygomatic Osteotomies

- I'll get this procedure only if the HA grafts fail to augment my cheekbones enough

Heavyweight

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
After your orthognathic surgery is done, do you plan on having any more aesthetic surgeries?

In my case, I will definitely:

1. Need my chin lengthened via genioplasty, while adding minimal horizontal projection. I should be able to get this done at the same time as my jaw surgery.

2. Need to augment my deficient frontal orbital rim area, without adding any width to this area as it is already quite broad and flaring. I will have to travel to the United States for this as I know of no surgeons in Europe who are skilled with the placement of orbital rim implants.

And I might:

1. Get a conservative rhinoplasty. This depends on how my nose looks after my jaw surgery. I like my nose overall but, like many people with a deficient maxillary area, there is a slight crook in the profile view.

2. Get jaw implants. This is a big "maybe" since my jaw already has a good V-shaped contour, it's just slightly narrower than I would like.

Have you looked into Dr. Mommaerts? He's one of the top surgeons in the world and will definitely able to perform orbital rim augmentation: http://www.mauricemommaerts.eu/

Eroica

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
I have contacted him (infact I've considered having my surgery with him - great guy). He can augment the orbital rims but from what he told me he doesn't do the soft-tissue work (midface lift), which means I'll still be left with too much scleral show. Reducing the scleral show is my primary reason for pursuing orbital rim augmentation.

Heavyweight

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
I have contacted him (infact I've considered having my surgery with him - great guy). He can augment the orbital rims but from what he told me he doesn't do the soft-tissue work (midface lift), which means I'll still be left with too much scleral show. Reducing the scleral show is my primary reason for pursuing orbital rim augmentation.

Does Mommaerts use silicone or HA for orbital rim augmentation? What's your preference between the two?

Eroica

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
HA, which along with porex is imo far preferable to silicone as the osseointegration is far better. That said I've seen excellent results from silicone implants.

In my case I intend to go to Dr. Yaremchuk in Boston for the orbital rim augmentation.

http://www.dryaremchuk.com/english/infraorbital-rim-implants.htm

Heavyweight

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
HA, which along with porex is imo far preferable to silicone as the osseointegration is far better. That said I've seen excellent results from silicone implants.

In my case I intend to go to Dr. Yaremchuk in Boston for the orbital rim augmentation.

http://www.dryaremchuk.com/english/infraorbital-rim-implants.htm

I'm familiar with him as well. I remember looking at him for implants to enhance the results of orthognathic surgery. However, doesn't he use silicone implants instead of other materials?

Eroica

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »
I'm familiar with him as well. I remember looking at him for implants to enhance the results of orthognathic surgery. However, doesn't he use silicone implants instead of other materials?

He uses porex. I've seen some great results from his work on various PS forums around the net.

Heavyweight

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
I'll probably be getting blue eye laser surgery once it becomes available overseas (it will take at least 2 extra years to come to the U.S., and I can't wait that long).

Here's an article about it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57319351-71/the-laser-that-turns-brown-eyes-blue/

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
Whites showing below the pupil of the eye. It's not necessarily a flaw, stereotypical "bedroom eyes" usually have a little. I just have too much of it.

My eyes are kinda like Robert Pattinson's

Hmmmmm, I like bedroom eyes. Pattinson's scleral show is considered too much?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:12:57 AM »
You guys are getting crazy.    That guy is hot.   His eyes are a big part of what make him hot.  Those are bedroom eyes and girls love that.
There is nothing that is more of a turn off than a guy that is obsessed with his own looks.   Jaw issues is one thing.   I am all for improving yourself like that but I think it is a very slippery slope when you pick apart every little perceived flaw.   

Eroica

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 02:43:26 AM »
You guys are getting crazy.    That guy is hot.   His eyes are a big part of what make him hot.  Those are bedroom eyes and girls love that.
There is nothing that is more of a turn off than a guy that is obsessed with his own looks.   Jaw issues is one thing.   I am all for improving yourself like that but I think it is a very slippery slope when you pick apart every little perceived flaw.  

I'm actually not obsessed with my looks, and I've never had any problem attracting girls. I'm less vain than your average guy where I live who dreams of flashy cars, buys designer clothing and pays premium for a nice haircut every other month.

I actually have a medically notable amount of deficiency in my orbital rims, which a number of maxillofacial surgeons I've consulted have commented upon. I'm not looking to change who I am. I'm correcting a deficiency, just like everyone else here.

Don't judge when you don't know the full story.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
I'm actually not obsessed with my looks, and I've never had any problem attracting girls. I'm less vain than your average guy where I live who dreams of flashy cars, buys designer clothing and pays premium for a nice haircut every other month.

I actually have a medically notable amount of deficiency in my orbital rims, which a number of maxillofacial surgeons I've consulted have commented upon. I'm not looking to change who I am. I'm correcting a deficiency, just like everyone else here.

Don't judge when you don't know the full story.

I am not judging you and I certainly don't mean to insult you.   I know what you are talking about with the eyes being pulled down sometimes from the jaws being retruded.    I think in that actors case his eyes look great.   I am saying that as humans we tend to pick ourselves apart to much and sometimes "flaws"   In relation to the big picture make someone attractive.  Also surgeons and doctors will pick out every defect from a text book standpoint.   Anyone who went to a plastic surgeon for a consult would hear of things aesthetically wrong with them that really are just fine or even endearing.   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:42:10 AM by Kristen »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
You guys are getting crazy.    That guy is hot.   His eyes are a big part of what make him hot.  Those are bedroom eyes and girls love that.
There is nothing that is more of a turn off than a guy that is obsessed with his own looks.   Jaw issues is one thing.   I am all for improving yourself like that but I think it is a very slippery slope when you pick apart every little perceived flaw.   

Well said, Kristen.

Eroica

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
I find it really funny that people who've had major craniofacial surgeries that they've spent thousands of dollars on for, let's face it, largely cosmetic reasons are criticising others for vanity on this forum. I'd have thought this would be the last place where one would find such criticisms.

All of my aesthetic issues are a direct result of having underdeveloped jaws. Correcting an underdeveloped midface is just an extension of correcting the jaw positioning. I'm not trying to look like anything other than a corrected version of myself.