Author Topic: Re: Surgery with Gunson  (Read 19684 times)

Kristen

• Private
Re: Surgery with Gunson
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 05:52:48 AM »
Ryan...are you going to do any updates to your blog?   What were your final surgical movements?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
I'm doing alright.  I still have residual swelling around my nose and upper lip. Some of the feeling has returned to my lower lip and chin area so I'm confident that it will all come back eventually. My bite feels great compared to where I was before surgery. I have a solid occlusion which is amazing to say the least. My airway feels wide open and I can breathe clearly through both nostrils. My TMJs are much more stable. On the aesthetic side, my asymmetry in my jaw has largely been corrected. Any remaining discrepancies are out of the realm of orthognathic surgery. My chin is more pronounced now, which is a great added benefit. The only thing that I'm still struggling with are the sutures, which still feel like they have a lot more healing left, and the blended diet, which is getting very old. Only two more weeks of blended diet and then on to soft-chew! 

I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
The remaining numbness doesn't bother me that much but maybe that's because I'm confident that its temporary. If it did remain, I would still have surgery. There are so many other benefits. It's not painful at all, just a tad annoying.  Pictures sent to your inbox.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
The remaining numbness doesn't bother me that much but maybe that's because I'm confident that its temporary. If it did remain, I would still have surgery. There are so many other benefits. It's not painful at all, just a tad annoying.  Pictures sent to your inbox.

Really happy for you man, glad you're doing so well.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
I'm still on medical leave. My family has been supportive. Some have commented on more definition and width but nothing overwhelming.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
I had grafting on my lower left gonial angle of the mandible, which was meant to vertically lengthen the appearance of the ramus. I don't believe any grafting was used to widen the lower jaw. I also had some grafting at the osteotomy site on the right side. This wasn't used for width either. My upper jaw was widened via a 3 piece lefort. I still have some swelling around the lower jaw grafting so maybe that's why it appears wider.

ticktickatick

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
If you don't mind I'd love to get a PM with some pictures as well. Glad to great you're doing well.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Here are some pictures.  I'll leave them up for a bit.

Before:

6 Weeks Post-op:

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »
great results! definitely the asymmetry was massively corrected as well as some of the under eye weakness. Your nose and everything else looks really good as a result. you should be tremendously pleased.

pekay

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
Holy s**t dude, you look like a completely different person!

Amazing results, congrats! I'd nuke the state of Alaska for a result like that

How old are you? still partly swollen? what else did you have done besides double jaw surgery + sliding genioplasty ?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
significantly beyond aesthetics your breathing must be SO much better now. Sorry for the redundant question but how many mms was your advancement again? From what I remember was their a discrete genioplasty performed or no?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
Holy s**t dude, you look like a completely different person!

Amazing results, congrats! I'd nuke the state of Alaska for a result like that

How old are you? still partly swollen? what else did you have done besides double jaw surgery + sliding genioplasty ?

Thanks.  I'm 27.  I'm still a bit swollen around my nose and also around my chin.  It's slowly coming down though.  I had a 3 piece lefort, lower jaw advancement via BSSO, and some grafting on the cheekbones and lower left mandible.  No genioplasty. 

I don't quite get the Alaska reference! lol

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »
significantly beyond aesthetics your breathing must be SO much better now. Sorry for the redundant question but how many mms was your advancement again? From what I remember was their a discrete genioplasty performed or no?

Breathing is effortless now.  It's quite an amazing feeling after struggling with breathing issues for so long.  I believe I was moved forward around 13.5mm.  It changed the day before surgery compared to my initial consult.  No genioplasty.

pekay

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
Thanks.  I'm 27.  I'm still a bit swollen around my nose and also around my chin.  It's slowly coming down though.  I had a 3 piece lefort, lower jaw advancement via BSSO, and some grafting on the cheekbones and lower left mandible.  No genioplasty.

Ah cool, do you remember what kind of advancements that you had on the upper and lower jaw? You look heaps better: the eyes, cheeks, paranasal, mouths/lips, symmetry, lower jaw projection all around amazing, congrats. bet you're happy as hell

how long are you going to be in braces for (post-op) ? and how long did it take you to decompensate?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
Ah cool, do you remember what kind of advancements that you had on the upper and lower jaw? You look heaps better: the eyes, cheeks, paranasal, mouths/lips, symmetry, lower jaw projection all around amazing, congrats. bet you're happy as hell

how long are you going to be in braces for (post-op) ? and how long did it take you to decompensate?

I don't know the exact movements because they were changed just before surgery.  The upper was moved forward something like 5 to 6 mm and the lower was moved forward somewhere around 13.5mm. 

I went into this whole thing to address my TMJ issues.  I currently don't have any pain or clicking.  The aesthetic benefits are just an added bonus.  I'm very happy I had it done. 

I know I'll be in braces for at least 6 months after surgery.  I am in no hurry to take them off.  I want to make sure everything is perfect before I have braces removed.  I was in braces nearly 9 months before surgery.