Author Topic: Forward Head Posture  (Read 80483 times)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: Forward Head Posture
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »
I'm looking forward to entirely correct my posture post surgery

Alue

• Private
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »
the only way to correct forward head posture (or any bad posture) is to strengthen your neck and shoulder muscles. virtually everyone with forward head posture has rounded shoulders.

just sitting up straight isnt going to help, i mean it is a good habit but youll just get short and most likely you arent even sitting up correctly - just bending your spin back. that's just as bad as slouching.

I lift weights, have for years and I'm pretty strong for my body weight.  I still have that forward head posture though, it just seems like the natural resting position, and to make everything in line feels unnatural for me. 

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
I lift weights, have for years and I'm pretty strong for my body weight.  I still have that forward head posture though, it just seems like the natural resting position, and to make everything in line feels unnatural for me. 

same here

CK

• Private
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »

do you exercise your shoulders/arms/back specifically?

Alue

• Private
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
do you exercise your shoulders/arms/back specifically?

Yes, until recently I haven't paid too much attention to my posture during those exercises.  I mean I pay enough attention that I don't pull/hurt something, but no so much to my shoulder posture.  I wonder if deadlifts would help with this.  

CK

• Private
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
I did a little bit a few years ago, I'm pretty flexible.  I don't know if it really helped me, I guess most of it is probably habit and structural.  I just get this weird feeling in my throat when position my head back and my adam's apple juts out.  Kinda feels like having a lump in your throat. 

weird. i can stand up straight when i want to, no feel in my throat. maybe tilting your head back? just need to strengthen my lower/upper back and shoulders.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Gonna bump this. My physical therapsit showed me how my posture should be, but it gives me a double chin. I defiantly think opening the airways can be a good start to fixing forward head posture. The correct way to usually fix it is too stretch the chest muscles, do y, t, w, l exercises and practice chin tucks. Also when doing chin tucks against a wall with everything against the wall except your but and legs, push your tongue into the roof of your mouth and you should feel your front neck muscles working. Theyre like strap muscles and help pull your chin down. http://b-reddy.org/2011/08/04/3-common-tight-muscles/  the first exercise on that site defiantly helped and before doing that I usually roll a tennis ball along my trapezius muscle and then do a lat stretch on a foam roller. A lot of the times people with forward head posture also have an anterior pelvic tilt, so that need to be fixed too. I have some stretches and exercises to help that too.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
nrelax11,

I really hope what you are doing helps, and I certainly think it's worth a try. Also, I think working with a physical therapist is always a good learning experience. I'm just throwing this out there because I hate to see people not getting what they need out of physical therapy.

Do you feel confident you were given the correct diagnosis? Did you have a proper workup before seeing your physical therapist? Did your physical therapist receive and look through your workup before starting you on a program? Are they looking at the body as a whole, or only in isolation? Are they receptive to your feedback? Are they actually putting their hands on you to feel what is happening with your body (the answer should be YES)?

Best of luck! (You obviously don't need to answer any of that, it's just a good checklist.)

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
this is the sitting hip/buttock stretch. I felt it more that lying down. Lightly push down on your knee and slowly lower down too the opposite knee untill you feel a stretch

exercises

Also perform stationery lunges. Your do different variations,  but you want to work your glutes because they rotate your hip back

(stretches)

Okayy, what fixed my anterior pelvic tilt ( well started fixing it and then i overstretched a nerve a little :/) was a combo of foam rolling,  stretching and then exercising with bands and progressing up to weights. I foam rolled my glutes, quads, hamstrings, inner thighs, and calves. My most tender area was IT band. You should foam roll your TFL (Tensor fasciae latae ) first before foam rolling the IT band. Some People's say not to foam roll it but it helped me a lot doing so. My quads were pretty tender to foam roll at first too, so focus on that area.

After foam rolling perform stretches. 1. Lying hamstring stretch 2. Hip flexor stretch 3. Hip/buttock stretch 4. Inner thigh stretch/groin 4. And I added an TFL stretch that I can add a link too

Oops, and dont forget to work your core and activate your deep core muscles. Make sure your core exercises dont involve bending your neck and while doing them, make sure that deep core is activated.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:51:35 PM by nrelax11 »

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
nrelax11,

I really hope what you are doing helps, and I certainly think it's worth a try. Also, I think working with a physical therapist is always a good learning experience. I'm just throwing this out there because I hate to see people not getting what they need out of physical therapy.

Do you feel confident you were given the correct diagnosis? Did you have a proper workup before seeing your physical therapist? Did your physical therapist receive and look through your workup before starting you on a program? Are they looking at the body as a whole, or only in isolation? Are they receptive to your feedback? Are they actually putting their hands on you to feel what is happening with your body (the answer should be YES)?

Best of luck! (You obviously don't need to answer any of that, it's just a good checklist.)

My physical therapist basically tested out my flexibility/ range of motion in my hips and arms/rotator cuff muscles. I had one sided pain in my left glute and lower left back. Its obviously best to go see someone and if you have other back problems/pains, please defiantly see a doctor. I basically have really tight hip and rotator cuff muscles. I kept working out with my tight muscles and now I have chronic neck and hip pain. Ive already got of taste of being pain free before I overstretched my nerve, so I know I can fix my postural issues

I didnt answer all the questions lol. I had been seen by multiple physical therapist before my past one and she looked up all my history and xrays and mri. What ive learned though is that you have to stick with a program. Ive had this hip pain for 3 years and my neck pain now for almost a year. Its not going to go away overnight.  My problem in the past was not sticking with it. Lol, I recieved these stretches and excercises before, but was lazy and didnt do them. I could be pain free right now if I just stuck with it.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:45:00 PM by nrelax11 »

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
So for forward head posture: pec stretches,  y, t, w, ls, and chin tucks. Ive noticed that just loosening up my chest helps keep my neck upright. The ytwls will help stregthen your lower trapezius muscles which are usually neglected and weak.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »
Gonna bump this. My physical therapsit showed me how my posture should be, but it gives me a double chin. I defiantly think opening the airways can be a good start to fixing forward head posture. The correct way to usually fix it is too stretch the chest muscles, do y, t, w, l exercises and practice chin tucks. Also when doing chin tucks against a wall with everything against the wall except your but and legs, push your tongue into the roof of your mouth and you should feel your front neck muscles working. Theyre like strap muscles and help pull your chin down. http://b-reddy.org/2011/08/04/3-common-tight-muscles/  the first exercise on that site defiantly helped and before doing that I usually roll a tennis ball along my trapezius muscle and then do a lat stretch on a foam roller. A lot of the times people with forward head posture also have an anterior pelvic tilt, so that need to be fixed too. I have some stretches and exercises to help that too.

If you are not using one of these (black)

http://www.rumbleroller.com/foam-rollers.html

then you are not rolling.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
Damn, looks like a weapon lol. Actually looks like it would work really well getting knots out

PloskoPlus

« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »
Damn, looks like a weapon lol. Actually looks like it would work really well getting knots out

It's great, but you have to keep using it. Get the firm version.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »
It's great, but you have to keep using it. Get the firm version.

Thanks, I'll defiantly look into it. Foam rolling is awesome and is very useful when it comes to loosening up tight muscles. Would you recommend the long or short one?